It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Comments from a teenage railfan
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:00 am 

Hello,

I am 16 (almost 17 :P), and currently involved in many aspects of railroading: I am a volunteer in the restoration shop at the Wilmington and Western Railroad here in Delaware, and also serve on the train crew. Additionally, I am a fireman/conductor/track worker on the Rough and Tumble's Shay Railroad in Kinzer, PA (we run a 30" gauge Class A Shay Locomotive).

I find difficulty locating a common ground between most of my friends in school, and myself regarding the interest of railroads/steam locomotives. It seems that working on, or studying railroads is too "boring" for them to take interest in (to quote a school teen), however, I do know of several teenagers in the region that are interested in steam locomotives in some capacity.

I've noticed that when our train (at the Wilmington and Western) crosses one of the many crossings, younger people tend to get annoyed with the delay it causes them, while the older people and families tend to wave at the people on the train. One pair of teens waiting at the crossing gave me "the finger" when I waved to them -- I don't know what morals these kids were taught, if any!

I believe that the NRHS' RailCamp has been one of the best programs initiated to help get teens interested in railroads and steam locomotives. I attended in 2002, and have an article I wrote about the experience published in the June '03 edition of Railfan and Railroad Magazine.

Programs like this are crucial to spreading interest to teenagers nationwide. If we can get through to teens that railroading is not just about waiting and studying, bur rather is a whole variety of involved activities, I believe we can gain more teenage interest in railroading.

Please help to support programs like this, and maybe try to start others, so that interest in railroading can be gained by teens and young adults throughout the country.

> Hey guys, I've been a frequent rypn reader,
> thought it was about time I start weighing
> in on stuff. First off, I'm 19 years old,
> and just finished my freshmen year of
> college studying mechanical engineering at
> the University of Pittsburgh.

> Thus, I guess I'm one of the "younger
> generation" we're speaking of here.

> It's unfortunate that people of my age don't
> view the railroad with the same awe as kids
> once did, but the fact of the matter is it's
> a lot less visable. Case in point: Class 1's
> nowadays only get public attention when they
> derail. Teenagers don't see anything special
> about the fact that a tourist railroad runs
> a restored steam locomotive or traverses
> rare mileage.

> I personally wish I had more opportunities
> to ride the rails, especially with steam
> (I'm hoping to spend some time volunteering
> with the Ohio Central this summer).

> As far as how to get us involved, I can only
> offer a few suggestions, let me know what
> you think.

> 1.) Get the word out. Lots of times we don't
> even know whats happening in the railfan
> world, and most people aren't enthused
> enough to go looking for it. TV and radio
> are great ways to reach people, lets take
> advantage of them. Same with the internet.

> 2.) Support the young folks. I hate to be
> the bearer of bad news, but in another 20
> years who's going to be running old #
> (insert your engine here)? There's plenty of
> us here, but you gotta know where to find
> us. And once you do, help us out. Most of us
> are ready and willing to learn, but you've
> got to be willing to teach.

> 3.) Don't underestimate us. My apologies if
> this sounds like I'm bragging, but I'll use
> myself as an example. I graduated from high
> school third in my class, was captain of our
> cross country and track teams, captain of my
> high school drumline, and volunteered for a
> bunch of different organizations. We're out
> doing a million different things, not just
> playing video games and messing around with
> computers. We're not just couch potatoes
> that are only interested in flashing lights
> and cool music, we have an interest in
> history too. Please don't think that the
> "stereotypical teenager" is what
> we're all like.

> I'm ready to start working to bridge the age
> gap in railroading, let me know what you
> guys think we can do, and how we can all
> pitch in to ensure this hobby will be
> steaming long past my days.

> Thanks, and sorry for the long post!
> Tim Botti


The Wilmington and Western Railroad
SteamTrain84@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Two words: Ohio Central
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:18 pm 

> I think that the idea of the RailCamp
> scholarship is a fantastic idea- had a
> RailCamp program been available 25 years
> ago, I'd've jumped at the chance to
> participate.

Ditto.

> I'm going to try to see whether I can float
> the scholarship idea with a few
> organizations in my area (SE Michigan) and
> see whether I can get anyone to go for
> offering one.

> -fm

Now that I'm 29 pushing 30, I guess I don't qualify anymore as the younger generation ---- in the word's of my parents generation, I now officially can no longer be trusted. (heh heh COOL). Seriosuly though, there are opportunities, especially if you are just out of high school, to experience real steam, hands-on. I'll give but one example.

If you live within a few hours drive of Central Ohio (for me its, 6 hours, and I do it gladly when I can) you have an opportunity Fritz and I would have killed for at 18. If your willing to learn , ask questions, and work hard, look no further than the postings from John Rimmasch and Jason Johnson on this board from Ohio Central; its the most fun doing hard labor you'll ever have.

Be prepared to participate in doing anything; if you have fear of getting dirty, this ain't the place for you. If you want to have the best sense of what it was like in the days of mainline steam, the comradery of working toward a common goal, and the respect for both what you do and don't know, this is place for you. A few things I have been fortunate enough to participate in in three shorts months:

1.) The joys of hard grease/ soft grease on the

road
2.) Changing journal brasses on a CPR 4-6-2 tender
3.) Experiencing the zen of the needle gun
4.) Degreasing parts
5.) Painting all sorts of things, from an LS&I

2-8-0 frame to the cab door on the above CPR

loco

To boot, you learn the right way: HANDS-ON, with people who respect that they had to learn once, too. Safety classes, good food, man ---- you can beat it with a stick. Come --- join the fun.

TJG



Port Huron Museum
tjgaffney@phmuseum.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Two words: Ohio Central
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:25 pm 

The OC is definately the future of steam railroading here in the east. I'm certainly looking forward to spending a few days there next month working in the shops, and hopefully sticking around to get in on the 50's Flyer trips they're running that weekend.

See guys? Railroading is alive and well in America's youth, as evidenced by the above posts. Let's hope that my generation and the ones that follow keep up the traditions of railroads in the U.S.

Tim Botti


tjb231@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Comments from a teenage railfan
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:10 pm 

My father bought a Lionel train when I was two years old. It has been down hill ever since! But in all seriousness, model trains was as far as it went until we moved to central Indiana when I was 16. Just close enough to become a volunteer on the Whitewater Valley Railroad. The folks there were generous enough to let a "kid" in and learn what it means to railroad. They were also willing to let this "kid" have some responsibility. (A meaning that so unrealized in todays society.) After seven years of volunteering on the WVRR, and a bach degree in Mechanical Engineering, I combined my hobby with my profession. Now I work on a class III short line with steam, diesel, passenger, and freight. But I gained so much more than just a job in those 7 years (and five years of a model railroad club before that), I gained a bunch of friends at the WVRR, the modeling hobby, and in the RR industry. Friends that range from my age to their 70's and 80's. Some of which are no longer with us. If only Connersville was closer to Dillsboro for the weekends!

The point I was going to make is that training a new generation of railroaders is a two way street. The old heads need to be willing to teach a young person not only to railroad, but to respect the industry and its significance. And the young people need to be willing to get dirty, be responsible, and learn what the old heads are trying to teach. It's not just about pulling the throttle, or blowing the whistle. I spent many a Friday night under the hood of a diesel so that our passengers could enjoy riding into the past the next day, even if someone else got to pull the throttle.

Now the question is, which will happen first; the HO scale layout back up in my new basement, or will I relight the fire in the SOU RWY #722?!

Ryan

http://www.whitewatervalleyrr.org
lima709@usadaily.net


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: