It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:39 pm 

Hello all,I have found these sites quite useful in learning about the situation on the ground in New Orelans:http://www.digitalglobe.com/http://www.nola.com/http://www.wwltv.comThe aerial photos from Digital Globe are quite detailed, with the NOUPT shown quite clearly (near the superdome). I am sure it will be of use in identifying other sites. The other websites paint a very bleak picture of the current situation? Is there anything that the Tourist Railway industry can do? One thought is to bring Amtrak compatable cars and Class I business cars to the ends of the servicable railroad network to serve as rest centers for relief crews. Tom Cornillie


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:34 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:25 pm
Posts: 2565
Location: The Atlantic Coast Line
A frequent poster on Steamboats.org from Rock Island with an apartment in NOLA posted the following:From what I've heard, the French Quarter, the Garden District section riverward of St. Charles, and the Carrollton area in Riverbend are the dry areas - all near the river. This would mean that the RTA carbarn is above water.Wesley


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2837
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
It stands to reason that the most historic or most valuable properties would be on the highest ground, e.g. the French Quarter, big mansions.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:58 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:45 pm
Posts: 362
Thank you for posting those links. The photos therein are fascinating. I feel helpless sitting behind my keyboard, secure in my home while so many people are suffering. I've also seen posts that indicate that the railroads are doing their best to get repair their damage. I also wonder how the New Orleans Public Belt RR is doing under the current circumstances. This is probably the worst natural disaster to occur in our country. Hoping for the best to all who are enduring this.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:11 pm 

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:54 am
Posts: 609
I have heard that New Orleans Public Belt shipped their locomotives out of the area over the weekend and they arrived in Houston on Monday as the storm was coming ashore in Louisiana. I also heard that at least some of their employees made it to Houston too, but that the location of some others is not known at this time. Consider this all to be "rumors", getting accurate information is pretty difficult right now.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Recent NOLA photos and information
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:39 pm 

This website has many very detailed photos for NOLA and the entire gulf region. [url]http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/[/url]


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: