It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 9:56 pm 

I recently drove past the railroad, but had no time to really check things out.I saw where they laid to new storage tracks near the water tower.
There is some other construction going on elsewhere. I heard rumors of a roundhouse???

Can anyone give us all the scoop on what is happening? Also what is the status of their power for the summer season? What's going on in the shops

Any info would be great!

-Alan Levy

AlanL759@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Strasburg
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:15 pm 

> That might explain what appeared to be a turntable on the premises on Tuesday!
> Any info would be great!

> -Alan Levy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:02 am 

The private car “Paradise” has been purchased by SRC, is being returned to its original Reading livery, and will be displayed on the new storage track. The construction in the mall is the beginning of a multi year project to give the property a more authentic early 20th century appearance, doing away with the 1960’s “tourist trap” look.

Engines 31, 90, and 475 are currently in service for the season. #89 is nearing the end of her annual work, having received new piston valves in her rebored valve bushings, among other things. She should be in service by mid to late June.

In the shops, along with the “Reading” and #89, yet another Thomas replica is under construction for August delivery. Also, there are new firebox sheets and injectors being built for other railroads. The Western Maryland coach that the Rail Road acquired a few years ago is also in the carshop, stripped to its frame, surrounded by a mountain of Honduras mahogany, ready to become another SRC coach.

kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:23 am 

The
> construction in the mall is the beginning of
> a multi year project to give the property a
> more authentic early 20th century
> appearance, doing away with the 1960Â’s
> “tourist trap” look.

This is exciting, and very welcome news! The excellence of the Strasburg shops crews and the quality of their restorations is justly renowned, as is the charm of the line's scenery. My one major quibble was always the cluttered and somewhat inauthentic atmosphere around the passenger platforms at East Strasburg. Any evolution towards a more authentic overall atmosphere is to be commended--Strasburg becomes ever more impressive as a model of privately funded, for-profit preservation in action.

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 2:59 pm 

I was wondering if you knew more detailed information of their plans. Ive always found it amazing that Strasburg has the finances to 'just do it' when they want change.

benquirkc@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: Strasburg plans, drawings
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:45 pm 

I think we'd all be interested in artist's renderings of the finished site if they are available.

ryarger@rypn.org