It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:23 am 

Over the years it has been mentioned here and there that this 2-8-0 began life as a USRA 0-8-0, most recently in the current issue of TRAINS magazine (a fine photo article on southern steam shortlines). The locomotive (now on display in Gaithersburg, MD BTW) is listed by the usual sorces (Conrad, steamlocomotive.info, etc) as being built by ALCO in 1918--as a 2-8-0--for the Kelleys Creek & Northwestern RR in WV (as their #1). Rumors have persisted that it was originally built as 0-8-0 (some have said ex-NYC). The engine and this story was the subject of one of Tom Lawson's "From The Steam Locomotive Archives" columns in THE SHORT LINE magazine during the late 1980's. Mr. Lawson did his best to end those long running rumors, citing conflicting ALCO serial numbers between that of KC&N 1 / BC&G 14 and that of the 0-8-0 it was rumored to have come from.

Then, Mr. William S. Young (well known around steam shortlines of the era) came forward with the following information in a later (Jan. 1989) issue of THE SHORT LINE. This locomotive was indeed built as a 0-8-0, but was built by ALCO (s/n 59309) in 1918 for their own use as the Schenectady Works shop switcher #1, carrying the name "Liberty". Mr. Young cited the ending of WWI (and a implied reduction of production) as making surplus this rather large shop switcher. Enter the Kelley Creek & Northwestern with an order for 2-8-0 and some creative surgery on ALCO's part. The locomotive was delivered to the KC&N with its original switcher-style tender (I have seen a photo of it on the KC&N with this tender). In 1954 (Lawson says '51) the locomotive was acquired by the Buffalo Creek & Gauley RR and renumbered to 14. Apparently it came to the BC&G with its original tender, which was soon replaced with the one from BC&G 2-8-0 5 (an ex-C&O engine) that had been scrapped in 1953. Rumors aside, I do believe this is the real story behind the beginnings of BC&G 14.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:30 pm 

Thank you, Jim. That's some great info. So, we can be pretty sure she was the 0-8-0 "Liberty." Now, I'll have to pull out the photos and see if we can ID her as a USRA design. Certainly being built in 1918 makes it possible...

And, that would make sense re: the tender, since very few roads kept the small USRA tender in unmodifed form.

Rob

Post subject: Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:12 pm 

The builders portrait of "Liberty" appears in Richard Steinbrenner's American Locomotive Co. A Centennial Remembrance (p. 89). There he confirms that c/n 59309 was sold to the Kelly Creek & Northwestern but does not mention the pony truck.

johncb@u.washington.edu

Post subject: Not USRA Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:13 pm 

Hi Friends,

I am going back to an old thred for this as I just got Steinbrenner's ALCo book (thanks, Santa!) which features a picture of ALCO shop switcher #1 "Liberty", the 1918-built 0-8-0 that went on to fame as Buffalo Creek & Gauley #14.

She was ID'd in TRAINS over the summer as a USRA 0-8-0 converted to a 2-8-0 before being sold by ALCo to the Kelleys Creek & Northwestern (and then onto the BC&G).

Well, after studying the picture in the Steinbrenner's book, I can say without a doubt that this was not a true USRA 0-8-0. If the specs at http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... isplay=611 are correct, this is confirmed.

She may have a similar boiler and she does have 51" drivers, but her cylinders are larger, she was built with a totally non-USRA configuration of the power reverse, she did sport standard USRA appliances as built and her tender is not anywhere near USRA (as-built, her current tender is not her original).

So, I feel comfortable saying we can put the rest to tale that she was a standard USRA 0-8-0. That's one rumor for the scrap bin.

However, the old gal -- who is rusting away outdoors in Gaithersburg, MD -- is a significant locomotive having been an ALCo shop switcher during WWI. Here's hoping a better fate awaits her!

Rob Davis

> Thank you, Jim. That's some great info. So,
> we can be pretty sure she was the 0-8-0
> "Liberty." Now, I'll have to pull
> out the photos and see if we can ID her as a
> USRA design. Certainly being built in 1918
> makes it possible...

> And, that would make sense re: the tender,
> since very few roads kept the small USRA
> tender in unmodifed form.

> Rob

Post subject: correction
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:09 pm 

I wrote "she did sport standard USRA appliances "

That should be "she did NOT sport standard USRA appliances "

Post subject: Re: Not USRA Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:13 pm 

> However, the old gal -- who is rusting away
> outdoors in Gaithersburg, MD -- is a
> significant locomotive having been an ALCo
> shop switcher during WWI. Here's hoping a
> better fate awaits her!

Just a mild demur here--I walked by this old gal earlier today and I wouldn't have called her "rusting away"--she has a good coat of paint, boiler jacket and lagging removed, etc. She IS uncovered. But for my money "rusting away" I would reserve to describe the plight of the Lynchbug Kanawah, etc--the BC&G 14 is a couple rungs up the ladder from that!

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Not USRA Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 story
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:03 pm 

> Just a mild demur here--I walked by this old
> gal earlier today and I wouldn't have called
> her "rusting away"--she has a good
> coat of paint, boiler jacket and lagging
> removed, etc.

So noted, and glad to hear. The most recent images I could find of her painted a different picture.

Now, about getting her back in Schenectady...

Rob

Post subject: BC&G 2-8-0 14 & Gaithersburg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:16 pm 

> Now, about getting her back in
> Schenectady...

> Rob

Rob,

The only way she'll ever leave Gaithersburg is if someone comes up with a B&O steam locomotive to display in her place.

In the 1980's, having restored their train station after Chessie was threatening demolition, the city fathers decided that thhey needed a steam locomotive there. By that point, there were no B&O steamers available, so they found this engine, purchased it and moved it to its display location.

They are quite proud of their acquisition, and while it isn't going to run again, it is being cared for. It's too bad the Gaithersburg City Council did not bother to purchase a B&O steam locomotive in the late 50's when they were available. An EM-1 would have looked awesome there, although it would have totally blocked the view from the back of the station. Oh well, one can dream.

kevin.r.gillespie@verizon.net

Post subject: Re: BC&G 2-8-0 14 & Gaithersburg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:13 pm 

Hi Kevin,

I am glad to hear she's got a decent home for now, though I do wish she was inside. Given her birthright, I would say this is one of the more historic park steamers. At some point, indoor storage will be a must lest we conscribe her to scrap at the hands of time.

My feeling after learning of her past is that she could be one of the top 50 historic US steamers.

If a museum ever gains ground in Schenectady, she'd be a worthy choice.

Rob

Post subject: Gaithersburg Museum..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:34 pm 

> They are quite proud of their acquisition,
> and while it isn't going to run again, it is
> being cared for. It's too bad the
> Gaithersburg City Council did not bother to
> purchase a B&O steam locomotive in the
> late 50's when they were available. An EM-1
> would have looked awesome there, although it
> would have totally blocked the view from the
> back of the station. Oh well, one can dream.

The one thing that would be possible for Gaithersburg to aquire that would be totally appropriate is a B&O Speedliner RDC. Two MARC RDC's are currently sitting in Brunswick yard slowly deteriorating and being vandalized. I know that the Museum people have made requests to MARC in the past for an RDC, but nothing has come of it.

If anybody reading this has any pull with the right people I'm sure that Gaithersburg would be grateful for their efforts to get one of these cars on display there.

pww57@hotmail.com