It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any of your organizations Pokéstops or gym?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:58 pm 

City of Biloxi, Mississippi has requested that the Biloxi Lighthouse and associated museum be REMOVED from Pokémon Go!. They're having some issues with the museum and access to the lighthouse is a major public safety issue-it is in the median of US Highway 90 (a four lane divided highway).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:29 pm 

Last edited by Utah Josh on Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 pm 

I don't play, but my girlfriend does. One aspect of the game is that there are things that happen when you're walking (something about Pokemon eggs hatching, apparently), where the game uses your phone's GPS to detect when you are in motion at less than 20 miles per hour.

The thought crossed my mind (one day, as I was driving down the street with her playing Pokemon in the passenger seat and she told me to slow down to 20 because one of the eggs was almost ready to hatch), imagine if there was a place where people could go to ride along in some type of vehicle for several miles at 20mph or less...

Seems like it could be a good cross-promotion opportunity anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:07 pm 

The Oklahoma Railway Museum at Oklahoma City has both a Pokestop and Pokegym on site, and has been advertising them on their Facebook page. Also includes some safety notes for the Poke-visitors while on museum property. https://www.facebook.com/OKRailwayMuseu ... 2299295088
Dan Rohrback

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:21 am 

The rock cliff above the Railroad Dock in Skagway apparently has some but it's a treacherous climb behind rockfall fence and a secured dock. The only issue we've seen is people walking around the backside of the train when it's spotted on the dock.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:01 am 

This is a potential concern if Pokemon hunters can enter your property outside open hours:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/14689828.Miniature_railway_s__Pokemon_Gym__status_could_be_behind_vandalism/

While most players may be pretty responsible, what other types will be around after dark?

Steve Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 am 

Do the miniature railways not use bolted joints? Do Pokemon players carry wrenches and crowbars?

I'm kinda surprised it's closed for so long, just two rails. Maybe the city workers can't fix it and they have to find a contractor...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:45 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Do the miniature railways not use bolted joints? Do Pokemon players carry wrenches and crowbars?

I'm kinda surprised it's closed for so long, just two rails. Maybe the city workers can't fix it and they have to find a contractor...

Looks to be very small gauge, 7-1/2 or even smaller maybe? Aluminum rail and easy enough to break with a stick or rock and some determination. Since it was left there bent, looks to be pure vandalism. Kids do stupid stuff sometimes.

You can see a photo by scrolling down a bit on this page. It's live steam, pretty small gauge.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... s-11113544

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:22 pm 

I'm bumping this thread to mention this Arstechnica article:
Pokémon Go players are altering public map data to catch rare Pokémon

An excerpt:
Quote:
Pokémon Go uses a biome system that restricts certain Pokémon to certain types of real-world terrain, like forests, mountains, and beaches. As aquatic Pokémon, Wiglett and Wugtrio show up in the beach biome.

And that's been a problem for landlocked players looking to catch these new Pokémon. According to a report from 404 Media, some of those players have been adding fake beaches to OpenStreetMap so they could have easier access to the beach biome in Pokémon Go (though the game Go initially used Google Maps data, it apparently switched to OpenStreetMap at some point in 2017).

So maybe now you need to add a beach stop to your railroad in order to attract Pokémon Go players?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:43 am 

I didn't realize Pokemon Go was still a thing. I imagine geocaching is another way to get people to come to your railroad/museum, in a similar vein. Or the ever-expanding Adventure Lab concept...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:46 am 

I'll toss a variation onto this one that Roanoke Chapter NRHS ran into.

In Roanoke, as in many others, scooter rental is a big thing. At our Virginian station, the riders were taking the scooters and running around on our concrete breezeway, leaving all sorts of marks and in some cases, graffiti. When the scooters were abandoned there, we told the rental company to put a geofence up around the property, they did not do it. So, next time we found scooters there, we simply put them inside the building and locked them up, forcing them to arrange a pick up. Guess what? We got that geofence pretty quickly after that.

Ken Miller

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:23 am 

Yes, after almost eight years Pokemon Go is still a thing. yes, I know because I play it too.

Some observations: it's probably one of the few computer games that spans the generations, I know of a handful players in their 60's or 70's, not sure which but they're grandparents w/ teenage littles, all the was down to kids. I also personally a wide variety of people that play from military to MD's to professionals to the guy making your pizza at the restaurant down the street.

Up here in alaska all the museum type locations have stops or gyms, provided there's cell service. Unless you have a access to the Niantic data you probably can't tell how much traffic your stop sees. If there a gym you can see how long it's been occupied or whether it turns over a lot.

Wanna find out if you have a location on your property? Download the app and see, it's free. If you do and thinks it's a problem, contact Niantic and they will do one of two things, eliminate it or place hours restrictions that mirror your business hours.

My recommendation is go for the restricted hours. PoGo may not be an attraction to your site but it can defiantly be an added bonus of attendance. If you know a player with a high enough level you can use the game as passive advertisement by nominating stops within your grounds. part of the game play involves sending gifts with postcards and I've received several railroad themed ones from Great Britain and Germany.

there you go. PoGo in a nutshell, or an egg in its own ecosphere.