It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Canadian Pacific 2816
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 12:15 pm 

Now we have the return schedule for the Empress --- nothing announced for either the southbound or northbound movements in Mexico, just the event in Mexico City: https://www.cpkcr.com/en/community/fina ... team-train

Sammy King

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:06 am 

2816 will pull a public excursion June 29 on the Iowa Interstate Railroad between RRHMA’s Silvis Shop facility and Bureau Jct., IL, the only public trip during 2816’s current North American tour and 2816’s first public excursion in over a decade: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... excursion/

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 9:21 pm 

Anyone know why the extra diesel was added?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:25 pm 

Thank goodness they've stopped using that God awful air activated whistle and are now using a much nicer sounding one.

Onward & upward. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 4:27 pm 

CPKC sets new return schedule for 2816: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... our-train/

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
PMC wrote:
2816 will pull a public excursion June 29 on the Iowa Interstate Railroad between RRHMA’s Silvis Shop facility and Bureau Jct., IL, the only public trip during 2816’s current North American tour and 2816’s first public excursion in over a decade: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... excursion/

Not any more:

Quote:
SILVIS, Ill. — CPKC has decided not to run the previously announced excursion on Iowa Interstate with CP 4-6-4 No. 2816, Railroad Heritage of Midwest America President Steve Sandberg has informed Trains News Wire.

Instead, the locomotive will be brought to Silvis for static display, Sandberg told Trains correspondent Steve Glischinski in a brief message. CPKC “was very apologetic and is making a nice donation to offset the cancellation,” Sandberg wrote.

The organization and the Central States Steam Preservation Association had announced a June 29 excursion with the locomotive between Silvis and Bureau Junction, Ill., earlier this month [see “Canadian Pacific 4-6-4 No. 2816 to pull public excursion,” News Wire, May 22, 2024]. Ticket sales were initially offered to RRHMA members but had yet to be made available to the public.

Additional information on the display date will be provided as it becomes available.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 3:43 pm 

Dave Blazejewski photo, crossing into Mexico today (05/30/2024): https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... a-empresa/

Attachments:
TRN_2816_Rio_Grande.jpg
TRN_2816_Rio_Grande.jpg [ 622.5 KiB | Viewed 2329 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:32 pm 

I have just received word that a fatal accident has occurred at Nopala, Hidalgo, Mexico.
The unfortunate event occurred as a young adult woman stood very close to the track, with her back to the approaching train, taking a selfie with her phone. She was hit in the back of the head by the steam locomotive. Spectators had been warned to remain a safe distance from the track, but she chose not to obey.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:37 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
I have just received word that a fatal accident has occurred at Nopala, Hidalgo, Mexico.
The unfortunate event occurred as a young adult woman stood very close to the track, with her back to the approaching train, taking a selfie with her phone. She was hit in the back of the head by the steam locomotive. Spectators had been warned to remain a safe distance from the track, but she chose not to obey.

Extremely sad news…. This will certainly change the morale for the rest of the trip. I feel so sorry for all the crew, and of course the friends / family.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:42 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
AS A WARNING:

Every time a newsworthy incident like this occurs, there are scammers and bots that rush to put up FAKE URLs all over social media, allegedly to "video of the event from a bystander/policeman/etc."

These are traps to load malware, advertising, and viruses onto people's computers.

DO NOT click on links unless you know how to verify they are linked to more reputable sources, and NOT "lookalike" URL or link names.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:37 pm 

QJdriver wrote:

It's almost like what happened with UP 844 in 2018

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:09 am 

I had the same thought. What gets me is that there were plenty of folks taking pictures at these locations, but NOBODY DID ANYTHING TO WARN THOSE LADIES OR GET THEM OFF THE TRACK BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:47 am 

I had someone relay to me the video of the incident.

She stepped up at pretty much the last second. Honestly, had I been there, all I could have done was watch in horror.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:54 am 

Fair enough. However, the video of the 2018 incident shows a group of self absorbed photographers doing nothing to help an obviously confused person...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:25 am 

QJdriver wrote:
Fair enough. However, the video of the 2018 incident shows a group of self absorbed photographers doing nothing to help an obviously confused person...

You refer to the UP 844 trespasser strike near Denver, right?

ALSO a case where she stepped into the "danger zone" at pretty much the last minute. And it's not that we're maliciously "self-absorbed" as you seem to imply, but that you can't shoot decent photography or video of a fast-moving object while maintaining total peripheral vision all over your locality, whether you have a viewfinder or an iPad.

I'll do all the unofficial, self-appointed "safety patrol" stuff if there's plenty of time beforehand (and I've been cussed out for it many times), but at some point "I'm not my brother's keeper." And that's also when we root for the bears, elks or bison to take out yet another "touron" ("tourist moron") at Yellowstone or the like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next