It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Steamtown to resume excursions this year
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:38 am 

I was at another historical site, not NPS, and the young lady giving the tour was telling people that a certain locomotive came from the 'Ohio and Baltimore' Museum. After the tour, I politely and quietly tried to correct her. She insisted that she was only following the 'script', prepared by one of the park historians. So perhaps some misinformation merely comes from on high, and comes down to the staff giving the tours. To be fair, the young lady had just graduated high school and was on a summer job; not in a position to question her training.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:11 am 

I had a similar experience years ago. Back during the Carter years IRM had guided tours, the tour guides all young people paid for by the CETA program. I was working in one of the carbarns and, listening to the tour progressing, it was obvious that the guide was working from cue cards, and had skipped one. The tour, a couple of families, were either not paying attention, being polite, or had figured out they were getting the info about what they saw at the last stop of the tour. I too waited 'til the tour was over, then quietly pointed out to the girl that all the cars have numbers painted on their sides, and she should make sure the card she was reading had the matching number.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:52 am 

I can attest to that. On a ride many years ago when my oldest was about 4 years old we sat in a coach and even before we left, my son just touched the window with his head, not the latches, and the window came down on his hands. Luckily he was not badly hurt but if the window had been higher or he had only one finger on the bottom sill, it may have been a different story.

superheater wrote:

..... We also have seen windows drop like guillotines on rough track, so there's always the fear that somebody will get fingers chopped off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:35 pm 

Brill Renitent trolley window posts are sprung bronze that hold the windows up by friction. With window glass they work fine but safety glass is too heavy to stay up. Lexan is light enough that it works again.

MP54 MU cars have one structural post in three. On some cars the nonstructural posts had rusted at their bases and were loose. This was not in a museum setting, but in revenue service. I learned to put my elbow on the sill with the forearm vertical, forming a pocket between my thumb and fingers to catch the window when it fell.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:53 am 

I do not remember where but when we boarded the windows were open and there were half in square sticks holding the widows open. We were asked if the widow was to be closed to please ask the car attendant to close the window.
Al

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:47 pm 

wesp wrote:
From the Project 3713 website

Quote:
Project3713 Donor Update: January 2022
...Whether more fundraising will be required for the restoration or the locomotive’s upkeep is yet to be decided. The LWV has put forward the idea of a repair and inspection fund to help keep the locomotive running once completed.

LWV, SNHS and NPS teams are working to define the path going forward. All parties are focused on a singular outcome: operation of #3713. A full update will be provided once agreement has been reached.

Kenneth Kertesz
Chairman, Project3713 Restoration Committee
Secretary, Lackawanna & Wyoming Valley Railway Historical Society, Inc.

Here's the full update/agreement:

https://lwvrhs.org/lwv-3713-closing-statement/

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:30 pm 

Let's hope it helps lead to the eventual rebirth of this beautiful locomotive.

Talk about patience being a virtue !!!

Ross Rowland

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6