It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two GTW Automobile Cars at Onaway, Michigan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2000 9:57 pm 

On the same trip I mentioned earlier, I found two GTW autombile cars that had been left at the elevator siding in Onaway, Michigan (on old M-68 between Indian River and Rogers City) as storage. They last had been repaired in 11-68. They had the old style end loading doors as well as the double side doors, and were in the 58000 series I believe. If anyone is interested, I can send photos of the them via e-mail. <br>

peremarquette@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Two GTW Automobile Cars at Onaway, Michigan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2000 5:04 am 

Just a quick note: the cars are in the 590000 series. The one auto car's number is 590002; the other looks to be 590014. Both seem to have friction bearings, but the one closest to the elevator was to overgrown to really tell. If any wants shots of these cars, let me know. I also have e-mailable views of the tearing up of the DM.<p>T.J.G.<br>

peremarquette@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:28 am 

UPDATE: A new owner has purchased the property and has torn down one of the warehouse buildings, revealing the hidden boxcar. I briefly spoke with the new owner yesterday and it sounds like they will remain on the property.

He was very nice and even moved a piece of sheet metal leaning on the side of the boxcar so I could take a better photo. I explained to him that these are very likely the last GTW automobile boxcars in existence and that they are fairly historically significant.

Hopefully they remain a part of the plan for the property, but I think we should be keeping an eye on them as things could change.

(I'll post some pictures later).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:18 pm 

Found this photo on the internet:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4862024

The car in this shot carries GTW 592004, which is slightly different than reported by Mr. Gaffney back in 2000. However, the location is Onaway, Michigan according to this photo from 2017, so perhaps this is in fact, one of those two cars. If NS 3322 can furnish some additional photos, perhaps we can determine if these are 40' or 50' cars.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:10 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Found this photo on the internet:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4862024

The car in this shot carries GTW 592004, which is slightly different than reported by Mr. Gaffney back in 2000. However, the location is Onaway, Michigan according to this photo from 2017, so perhaps this is in fact, one of those two cars. If NS 3322 can furnish some additional photos, perhaps we can determine if these are 40' or 50' cars.

Les

Les,

I took the photo you shared back in 2017. New plant overgrowth in the area made taking any repeat/updated shots of that car impossible.

As for the other car, it is numbered #592517 and was built in 1944. Both cars appear to be 50' and are in really good shape. Here are a few photos of the cars:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5595013
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5595017
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5595039
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5595018

Last edited by NS 3322 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:20 am 

NS 3322 -

Thanks for the photos. I'm really a bit surprised that they were building automobile boxcars in 1944 considering there were no cars to ship with the war going on. Probably just a case of needing new cars and having to use an existing design. Anyway, I agree that the cars are in good shape. Hope they end up being preserved once the current owner no longer has a need for them.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 am 

Automobile boxcars, especially the designs with end doors, had many uses besides shipment of finished autos. Pictures abound of fire apparatus, wheeled industrial equipment, military equipment, large machine tools, all being loaded or unloaded via the end doors and/or the large side doors of those cars.

In an era where the 40-foot boxcar with 6-foot door openings was standard, these 50-foot cars with 12-14-16 foot door openings, and end doors (on many designs), were the answer for protecting large loads.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:40 pm 

Wow, she looks to be in good condition, I sure hope she can get to a museum someday.
Les Beckman wrote:
Thanks for the photos. I'm really a bit surprised that they were building automobile boxcars in 1944 considering there were no cars to ship with the war going on.
I was surprised as well and I have done a great deal of research into the 40s. I do know these type of cars (I thought all had bene built before the war and restrictions on the civilian use of metal) were used to ship subassemblies of aircraft, military wheeled vehicles and other large military items. I'd bet that's how they got the government to sign off on letting them be built.