It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marquette & Huron Mountain Passenger Cars
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:49 pm 

Tom,Thanks for the excellent references!I'll be bookmarking several of them.Roger

Post subject: Marquette & Huron Mountain auction
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm 

All the equipment of the Marquette and Huron Mountain was auctioned off, I was told, by the family of John Zerbel very shortly after his death. The auction was staged hurriedly in December and few bidders, other than IRM and a few tourist operators, had time to prepare to buy anything. Honest Nick gave me a pull or two at his schnapps bottle to keep warm. I attended the auction and saw most of the 2-8-0's sold to an Escanaba scrap merchant for $600 each. The surviving engines exist because the scrapper retained and resold them rather than cut them up. The boxcars of loose parts were bought by the late Stan Mathews of Shop Services in Mt. Pleasant. I always wondered what happened to the junky heavyweight Pullman observation, lettered B&O and named "Captain Hook" that was at this site but may not have been the M&HM's. It's very satisfying to remember this bleak auction while riding the Western Maryland Scenic RR.

Owosso, Michigan 48840-0665

Post subject: Re: Marquette & Huron Mountain auction
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:07 pm 

Another undocumented disposition from M&HM is C&NW combine #7718. It had been M&HM #102. #7718 is now at Whitewater Valley Railroad. IRM's #7700 had been M&HM #100.Another possibility is C&NW combine #7721. It is currently at Eastern Oklahoma Railway Museum and was at the Dodge City Ford and Bucklin Railroad in Kansas before that. It may have been at M&HM (possibly #101?), but I'm not sure. Image here:http://www.oklahomarailwaymuseum.org/CurrentProjects/BlueCar.htmlErich

Post subject: GB&W Passenger Cars
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:11 pm 

That's quite interesting. This page includes information on some cars said to be in existence I didn't know about. Does anybody have more information on any of these???#20 was last seen at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay and used by the local model railroad club, but has since left the property, whereabouts unknown. #22 on display at Stonefield Village in Cassville, Wis.#84 Car body is part of one wall of a structure at a quarry just northeast of Sturgeon Bay, Wis. Thanks!!!

Post subject: Re: Marquette & Huron Mountain photos
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 am 

I'm bumping this to do a link update, can't do it yet.

...update here ya goes

http://www.oocities.org/heartland/flats ... ohome.html

geocities is no longer thats the archive.

Post subject: Re: Marquette & Huron Mountain photos
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am 

Wow. A mere $600.00 even back in the early 80s. The industry then was a long ways off from becoming what it is today, but still, hard to believe.

Rob Gardner