It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP 982
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 am 

In Houston, being moved last year:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=161735

Post subject: Re: SP 982
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:56 pm 

Is this engine another moved stuff N' mount, or is she up for renewal and operation?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:29 pm 

It is a stuff-n-mount operation. There was a group formed to restore this locomotive to operational condition. Project 982 showed great wisdom in doing work to stabilize the locomotive's condition while it was in Herman Park; rather than just tearing it down for a restoration that would never take place.

I do not know when the plans shifted from restoring it to operational condition to moving it to the location it is in now. But, with all of the locomotives already out there that could run but have no place to do so, I think they made the right decision. The locomotive in question is a small drivered 2-10-2; it may not have been the best locomotive for excursion service anyway.

The history of 982 in Houston has been far better than that of sister engine 975 in nearby Beaumont. 975 was an easy shoe-in for the worst looking park engine back in the 1990s; and had the IRM not stepped in and undertook the major task of moving her across the country to Union; she would probably be razor blades now.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:38 pm 

The saga for the 2-10-2 continues. The now tenderless cosmetically restored locomotive is now officially a nomad. The museum in which she was going to be housed has been "put on hold", and the locomotive offered to the Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS, which is in its own throes of moving to a new location northwest of Houston, Texas, near Tomball. With most of its equipment still stored near downtown Houston, we'll have to see how this turns out. For now from what I know, the locomotive is still safe, and cocooned in a protective shroud. Efforts are underway to determine where exactly the locomotive will end up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm 

what happened to her tender?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:03 pm 

Txhighballer wrote:
The saga for the 2-10-2 continues. The now tenderless cosmetically restored locomotive is now officially a nomad. The museum in which she was going to be housed has been "put on hold", and the locomotive offered to the Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS, which is in its own throes of moving to a new location northwest of Houston, Texas, near Tomball. With most of its equipment still stored near downtown Houston, we'll have to see how this turns out. For now from what I know, the locomotive is still safe, and cocooned in a protective shroud. Efforts are underway to determine where exactly the locomotive will end up.

Oh goodie! If she wasn't missing parts, I'd say put her *somewhere* on live rail, and try to restore her.

CD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm 

Dave Lewandoski wrote:

There wasn't room in the museum for both the tender and the locomotive. They would either have to cut the tender in half or display only the locomotive. The decision was made to find the tender a home where it would actually have some use. It was given to the Heber Valley Railroad in Utah where it is being used in the conversion of UP 618 to an oil burner.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:30 pm 

Pkwlsn wrote:
Dave Lewandoski wrote:

There wasn't room in the museum for both the tender and the locomotive. They would either have to cut the tender in half or display only the locomotive. The decision was made to find the tender a home where it would actually have some use. It was given to the Heber Valley Railroad in Utah where it is being used in the conversion of UP 618 to an oil burner.

Wow! Just when I thought I couldn't possibly see something more stupid in the 'preservation' world, I'm proven wrong yet again! Now, 982 is homeless, and tender-less!
I see torches in 5... 4... 3...

CD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:35 pm 

Too bad that the SLRG in Colorado is not using steam at present. This one would have almost double the power of the ex SP Mogul with the same sized drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:44 pm 

Any chance of 618's old tender going to the 982?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:08 pm 

The only problem with that is an oil bunker would have to be fabricated..the same problem Heber managed to avoid. In actuality, a bigger tender would be better suited if the decision is made to go for a complete overhaul.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:12 pm 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
Txhighballer wrote:

Oh goodie! If she wasn't missing parts, I'd say put her *somewhere* on live rail, and try to restore her.

CD

She's not missing anything that cannot be replaced. The biggest issue is the replacement of the Wothington BL2 feedwater heater..the casing is cracked (actually missing a piece). Personally,if one can't be found, go back with a knock off SA type heater.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:28 pm 

For the record. 618 is not, I repeat, not losing her original tender. The 982's tender is being used for parts in order to keep 618's rebuilding costs down. As for the 982 needing it back, having seen the tender firsthand, I think seeking a replacement has always been the better option.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:35 pm 

It's a frigging tender, guys...there's another thread right now about some. If it becomes necessary, something useful will be found. Better to use the energy creating the need for it to become necessary.

dave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:58 pm 

Txhighballer wrote:
CREEPING DEATH wrote:
Txhighballer wrote:

CD

She's not missing anything that cannot be replaced. The biggest issue is the replacement of the Wothington BL2 feedwater heater..the casing is cracked (actually missing a piece). Personally,if one can't be found, go back with a knock off SA type heater.

From my (distanced) involvement with Project 982 over 20 years ago, I seem to recall it's missing valve gear components and other parts. The plan at the time was to 'borrow' them from 975 (in Beaumont at the time) but it has since immigrated to IRM.

CD