It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beware of Adverse Abandonment in Creede, your comments?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:47 pm 

Attn Trainlaywer et al. Proceedings are taking place that could affect many museums by setting a precedent for aggressive neighbors to follow suit. Your comments or objection may be filed until the end of January. See NGDF for info:

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,104967

Post subject: Re: Beware of Adverse Abandonment in Creede, your comments?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:33 pm 

This battle has been going on for several years. The city fathers continue to lose and continue to come up with another angle. Unfortunately, the historical society wanting to reactivate the line continues to spend money that it doesn't have to defend its position.

The vested interests in Creede give a hoot about a trail. They want the property for their own commercial endeavors.

Post subject: Adverse Abandonment in Creede, your comments?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:15 pm 

Howdy,

Greede, CO, is adverse to anything they don't control.

The entire exercise is designed to keep that damned train out of Greede! They are using expensive stalling tactics to cost the railroad time and money in the hopes of wearing them down and draining their funds.

Perhaps their friend, Texas Red McComb, will buy the railroad as a gift to the town for their support of a 10,000 person village atop Wolf Creek Pass. Mineral County, of which Greede is the County Seat and only town, will get the taxes and Archuleta & Rio Grande Counties will get the traffic and employee housing problems. What could be better than that?

It's expected that there will be passenger railcar traffic on the Wagon Wheel Route this summer and I plan to ride a time or three!

Roger, 4 hours SW of Greede

Post subject: Re: Adverse Abandonment in Creede, your comments?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 pm 

Roger,
You're right...Its all about Greed!

I know the Creede Branch bunch has some of their own equipment, but itould be nice to go ridin behind 1744 (or one of Earl's new steamers) to Creede next summer! Throw in the new dome cars and you gat a ride!

BIll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:01 pm 

Folks that know better please correct me. Colorado 160 comes in from the east going west at the bottom of Wolf Creek pass and then turns north. From that point until it is out of the pass it seems the only place to build is on the west side of 160. I guess you could always pull a "California special" and put homes, business establishments on the side of the hills to the east. All the run off will go into the National Forest. What/Whom will this "Village" support? Creede, Wagon Wheel Gap, South Fork or is this a retirement community?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 pm 

I understand that this issue has been going on for some time. It has been made into an official action, pending a decision by the authorities. I wanted to bring it to the attention of this board, as there are informed and reasonable people here who may be able to provide concrete evidence, or statements of concern, that would help prevent the action.

If it were to go forward, the precedent set may put existing but little used rail lines in jeopardy, in some cases, where the neighboring town is hostile or has competing economic interests. This is of interest to the rail preservation community in general. I would encourage folks to submit comments as they might serve to help our preservation goals.

Regards,
O Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:48 pm 

Howdy,

Coming into South Fork from the east, US 160 is going due west. At South Fork US 160 turns southwest and is going due south when it gets to the Wolf Creek Ski area. The Village at Wolf Creek will be through and east of the Ski Area parking and base facilities at an elevation of 10,500'+. One assumes only the rich will be able to affort to buy and maintain second or third homes in this high, harsh environment. Usually, Wolf Creek has the top snow accumulation of any ski area in Colorado. (Wolf Creek Ski Area Information - Annual Snowfall: 465 inches.)

All taxes will go to Mineral County (Greede) and the benefit to anyone else, except Red McComb and Bob Honts, his local honcho, would appear to be absent.

Sincerely, Roger

Post subject: Re: Beware of Adverse Abandonment in Creede, your comments?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 pm 

I think this now has a life of it's own.

Surface Trans. Board
http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/Readin ... enDocument