It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Stewartstown RR #6
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:19 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
Now with all that rolling stock, time to put more resources towards track extensions! ;)
Kappy wrote:
We, also, work on that consistently.
I’m on the track crew as well. We split our time between maintaining our class 1 track and extending it.
We can always use more volunteers to help install those surplus ties;) Will help extend that line!
Mark
Do you mean extending along the New Park & Fawn Grove?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:22 pm 

I would assume getting the line somewhat passable between stewartstown and new freedom, I think the track is just barely class one to just past the iron bridge, and just short of the crossings by the township buildings. The rest of track is pretty bad, not even excepted track

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:54 pm 

I know is is tiresome to hear "if you want more progress, donate money," but that's about the size of it. I am a member of the "Friends of the Stewartstown Railroad" group (they are on facebook) even though I live over 3K miles away, just because what they are doing is so interesting. They don't bite off more than they can chew, and have been pragmatically repairing track and equipment untouched during the Hart years: two former mu passenger cars (one repaired quickly several years ago is getting a bit of work this summer, another is nearing a return to service), the roof of their station, a bad washout (repaired using Gabion baskets, an ancient Roman technique that they use here in Oregon on highways), and have acquired track machinery to help out the volunteers. One issue they have faced is that apparently no ties at all were replaced for decades, and the ties are smaller than modern relay ties or new ties, meaning that when a tie is replaced they must expand the crib to put in a replacement. They picked up a "scarifier" (sort of like a garden tiller) for this purpose, and I believe they also have a used ballast regulator they are trying to return to service. I'm not sure how much they expand track every year, perhaps a tenth of a mile, but obviously if they had more donations and more volunteers they could expand faster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the discussion guys.

We do our track work on two main Fronts.

1 We work to extend our class one track toward New Freedom. Sorry, the New Park and Fawn Grove is long gone.

2 We go back over our class one track and consistently improve it. Many places have all ties replaced and are ballasted and tamped. There’s always tamping and alignment work to do on our line. Every time you visit our Railroad, new improvements will have been made. However, we do have many years of neglect to catch up on.

We don’t open sections of track to our full size trains until it is significantly better than class one minimum standards. Then we move our class one Red Board and extend the train ride for our passengers.

As mentioned earlier, we are putting new machines in service and getting better at track work. Getting more efficient as we go. Heading in the right direction.

Mark K

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:25 pm 

Got some parts primed today. Amazing how many square inches even this small locomotive is.

Here’s my ‘free range’ paint booth. Rudimentary, but getting the parts sealed in epoxy primer and ready to top coat.

The blast shop sent some of the louvered hood doors through a machine that was a little too aggressive. Not a big deal, but some of the panels and louvers are bent. Had to get at it with a hammer and dolly. Left is before, right is after.

Attachments:
IMG_5335.jpeg
IMG_5335.jpeg [ 169.29 KiB | Viewed 139596 times ]
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg [ 143.17 KiB | Viewed 139596 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:30 pm 

Small update. But here ya go.

The local weather hasn’t been kind for spraying primer and paint. So, I switched to another lane and disassembled the brake stand.

Gotta make progress where you can.

I need to be more self sufficient in regards to rebuilding brake valves. Figured I’d start with my own stuff in #6. Best to learn on your own equipment, right?

Here’s the brake stand, I have a contact in to my local shop and, hopefully, they can sell me the proper gaskets to complete the job. It’s a Westinghouse AMM system and the brake stand is an M24C.

Strange system. Has one brake handle that operates the independent and the automatic at the same time. No idea how it operates, I’ll learn more once it’s aired up and I make some valve moves. Looks like you switch a valve for running light or running a train. Either way, I’ll make sure it’s understood and safe before operation.

Attachments:
IMG_5387.jpeg
IMG_5387.jpeg [ 108.65 KiB | Viewed 139434 times ]
IMG_5386.jpeg
IMG_5386.jpeg [ 148.36 KiB | Viewed 139434 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:38 pm 

Longwood Elastomers in Whytheville, VA may have the rebuild kits for all your valves. They’re a part of Wabtec. https://www.wabteccorp.com/elastomers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:55 pm 

Found something interesting in our engine house today.

Some new-old-stock gaskets for 6’s brake stand. Of course they are brittle and no good, but might get some part numbers and patterns for new gaskets.

Attachments:
IMG_5401.jpeg
IMG_5401.jpeg [ 136.58 KiB | Viewed 139060 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:22 pm 

The gasket and seal order showed up today.

The feed valve and brake stand are ready to go. Two more valves need service. A triple valve, and I believe a double check valve. Will learn more about them when they are apart.

Attachments:
IMG_5436.jpeg
IMG_5436.jpeg [ 100.55 KiB | Viewed 138788 times ]
IMG_5437.jpeg
IMG_5437.jpeg [ 101.88 KiB | Viewed 138788 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:29 pm 

Sorry.

No pictures today. Been super busy.

I serviced the triple valve and a double check valve. All part of the AMM system on Little Mo.

The fuel tank is almost ready to install. I have the fittings welded and the fuel level sending unit flange is welded in place.

Will update with pictures as the tank gets primed, painted, and installed.

I’m excited to get this phase done and start reassembling the hood structure.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:59 pm 

Got the fuel tank primed today. Check out my low budget rotisserie!

I’ll get the black topcoat on it tomorrow.

I’m starting to second guess myself on the drive chains. I spent a bunch of time, all documented on this thread, to get them together. That fact is, I still don’t trust that they’ll give me a long service life. The Loco is still jacked up right now. Will be a perfect time to install New chains and adjust the axles. Better to do it now than later when it’s in service. I’ll keep the old chains for spare parts.

Attachments:
IMG_5538.jpeg
IMG_5538.jpeg [ 97.5 KiB | Viewed 137342 times ]
IMG_5539.jpeg
IMG_5539.jpeg [ 115.44 KiB | Viewed 137342 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:48 pm 

Top coat is on. I’ll wait the 7 days until it’s fully cured, then install the tank on top of the transmission.

Attachments:
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5540.jpeg [ 105.26 KiB | Viewed 136948 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:22 pm 

Mini update.

Today, I got my flush mix out of both sections of the transmission. Then filled both parts with fresh GL4. Took about 14 gallons. GL4 is hard to find these days. I didn’t trust putting GL5 in there. Not sure if there if there is any Yellow metal in there. The EP additives in GL5 like to eat copper at high temps.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:58 pm 

I did some needle scaling and found the Plymouth chassis number. I was always only 99% sure that this was the real Little Mo. Maybe I’m skeptical?

I know this is the Plymouth that was at Edaville. I found that paint scheme under the green topcoat. Was never 100% sure that Little Mo went to Edaville after Wolfeboro had it as their #9.

Was great to finally find out for sure. #3984

Looks like it’s the real deal and I was worried for nothing.

Attachments:
IMG_5566.jpeg
IMG_5566.jpeg [ 111.38 KiB | Viewed 131562 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13