It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steam engines that go "bye bye" in 2010
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:14 pm 

I was browsing through a back issue of British Steam Heritage Magazine earlier this morning, and there was an extensive article about a rare prize being handed over to the "J21 Trust". If I discern all this correctly, a non-profit organization is set up to advocate for, and collect, donations, pledges, and corporate sponsorships, for the restoration of, or construction of, various locomotives in a particular class. Perhaps this is response Americans might turn to? Find a locomotive which would make a welcomed return, then focus specifically on the restoration of that single locomotive. I can think of a particular K4s Pacific which would benefit from such a public advocacy, not to mention one of two NYC Mohawks, and another dozen locos regualrly discussed here. The organization simply promotes and provides the funding, while the owner(s) contract or perform the restoration. When a snag is hit, the "Trust" goes back to work. In the U.K., several of these advocacies are organized in part, by the magazines themselves.
Since we're talking about mandated servicing, I thought I'd mention it. It has nothing to do with "Yeah, but now you have no place to run it!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 pm 

I'm pretty well convinced that for cultural and logistical reasons that model isn't likely to succeed in the US.

It seems almost sensible given the current economic circumstances that we will see a reduction in pure nonprofit railroad preservation activity since most of it is directly dependent on subsidy or discretionary patronage, and high operating costs and a costly regulatory structure prevent our lowering costs to drop prices - less a problem for many competing entertainment venues.

We'd do well to concentrate on looking forward a few years in terms of bringing on new power, building an operating strategy that works in a smaller and slower economy, and trying to better reach our markets and grow our market share beyond our traditional offerings of a train ride, junkyard tour and words on the wall. We get that done right, we can afford to run whatever we want within reason, probably within the next 5 to 7 years.

Also a fine idea to have some projects documented and "shovel ready" just in case public sector opportunities again become available.

We can waste our down time whining or put it to good use.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 pm 

Hi,

I think some people really need to consider the alternative to not having a 1472 day inspection. It really surprises me how many people who should know better complain about something that makes our lives safer. The basis of boiler regulation is not some new unfunded mandate but the results of thousands of people loosing their lives and the RR industry not doing enough to prevent it. If it takes a few years for a locomotive to be inspected to ensure its safety so be it.

If certain organizations can not afford the costs then there will be some losses but I do not see where anyone should tolerate locomotives with bulges in side sheets due to thinning side sheets (as seen on a tourist RR in 2003) or subject the public to potential accidents such as the issues of Gettysburg in 1995. There are people who sit around and lament the loss of locomotive X but did nothing to support it or any other project in any way. Given the lack of true support in the rail-fan communities to projects, it truly amazes me the opportunities we have had and I am grateful for all of them no matter how "short" they are.

Robby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:52 pm 

I know of one operator who is considering moving to the Federal rules simply because they are more clear cut and straightforward than their existing state regulations (insular operation). Alas, the engine will likely not run this year because of the need to do Form 4 work.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:42 pm 

Greetings:
First, Valley Railroad Co. No. 97 has 64 (but who's counting) Service Days left to be used before our 15 year limit occures in March 2011. As a practical matter, 2010 will be No.97's last year in service (assuming that it passes it's annual inspection for 2010) until it undgoes a new 1472 day inspection. This next time around will be a big one including new driving axles, crank pins, piston rods, cylinder and valve cage liners (with new rings of course) and a smokebox (with front and door) in addition to the usual survey, boiler work, rebuilding appurtenances, turning wheels, etc. Our "Your Hand on the Throttle" program for 2010 will be marketed as: "Farewell to Old 97" and we'll charge a bit more to cover the cost of some of the long lead time items we'll need.
Second, in my opinion, anyone who operates a steam locomotive ought to think about what the near and long term costs associated with doing so. We operate about 200 days per year. As a "rule of thumb", we figure that each of our steam locomotives cost us about $400. per locomotive per Service Day to keep going PLUS we figure that we have to budget about $200. per locomotive for each Service Day to cover the basic cost of a 1472 day inspection. AND we must add to these numbers coal, water, engine crews plus a bit of shop, office and railroad/signal maintenance and we come up with about $2000. per day. Trust me, diesels are much cheaper, but we are afterall, "The Essex Steam Train & Riverboat" (not to mention I would have no interest in a diesel operation).
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:19 pm 

Thanks for the insight on the cost of operation. Happy New Year!

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.