It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PRR P70 coaches to be scrapped
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:33 pm 

PLATFORMCAR wrote:
Les ( and the group )

a few additional recent photographs... sorry for the bad photograph quality, it was raining hard and these were quickly shot from my vehicle...

Dean Levin

I know it's a bit late to post, but I'm saddened to see the condition of the former Tex-Mex car and hear it's been scrapped. I rode this car on the Tex-Mex Express, which ran from about 1985 until 1990, I rode the last run on Father's Day 1990.
Not only is it sad to see the former Tex-Mex P-70 car is bad shape and hear it's been scrapped, I believe it was a historic car - the only P-70 built with 6-wheel trucks.

CD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 am 

big-bad-2666 wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I dunno whether this bastardized P70 was mentioned:

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/kitcar1235.htm

Well that car was scrapped yesterday.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, they also cut up a Lackawanna coach and an EMD F3 recently.

Same M.O. - they listed it on Ozark Mountain Railcar at non-recession prices, and when it didn't sell, cut price back a bit then gave up and scrapped it. All about the money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:54 am 

I'm not sure, but I believe thats the old Coe rail dinner train equipment?
Theres a couple F's, three DLW cars and some other assorted stuff.....
Last I heard it was owned by a guy named Alan Brown....he seems to be having some financial troubles. He tried to buy the dinner train operation in Mt. Dora Fl a few months ago..... and it quickily folded. The equipment from that trainset is listed for sale on Barnhardt's website.
so...were the other cars and loco that were scrapped a part of this?
ozark lists one F and all three DLWs as sold.....perhaps to a scrapper?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 pm 

Well I really didnt want to bring this up, but I happen to work for the old Coe Railroad. There were two F units, one is running the other was scrapped because its prime mover was not very fixable. While I was there, two DLW were scrapped. I believe one more was before I was there. The other cars have been sold...

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:41 pm 

Update on the LV Parlor Cars in Winslow: The 1554 was pictured earlier in this thread. The ARHS (or at least me, the President) would still like to restore this car, since it is the best condition of the two cars there, both inside and out. Both cars still have all the coats of paint going back to the primer applied by the Pullman Co. in 1923. The outer grey coats will come off with paint stripper, but the cars really need to be sandblasted due to the failure of the paint in many areas.

The 1553 was gutted by the LV for work train service and has wooden doors installed in both sides of the car. We need to take one set of stairs from this car to use on the 1554. The stairs we are looking at are already plated over where the trap used to be, so it wouldn't be a great loss.

The 1554 is still mostly complete inside, but served as a bunk/food car, so there are some non-original fixtures installed.

Both cars are Roller-Brg equipped and the airbrake systems were complete when we got them from Conrail in the mid-90's. They will probably need some work to pass an air test, but trucking may be the better option. There is plenty of room nearby for semi and crane access. If there is a nearby tourist road/museum that needs a handicapped-accessible car, this one would be a great starting point.

We've been in the process of vacating Winslow over the past year and would like to get the 1553 off their property. There's no firm deadline, but we're trying to tie up loose ends with our equipment. If you or your group is interested, please send me a Private Message and we can talk further. Thanks. Walter (ARHS Pres.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:54 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Walter wrote:
If there is a nearby tourist road/museum that needs a handicapped-accessible car, this one would be a great starting point.

I could make the case that if your group doesn't have a handicapped-accessible car by now, you're doing your customers/patrons a grave disservice.

Opportunity knocks here.