It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Good News About NKP765
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 1998 6:26 am 

We have received funding for the overhaul of our steam locomotive, former Nickel Plate Road Berkshire No. 765. The funds are to be provided under the TEA-21 program, the Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century.<p>We have not operated the 765 since 1993. The locomotive needs a heavy running gear overhaul, something the Nickel Plate typically did at 100,000 mile intervals. Since her last overhaul at the NKP's Conneaut, Ohio shops in May of 1957, the 765 has accumulated well over 100,000 miles in both NKP freight service and in our excursion service. The running gear overhaul is needed before the locomotive can be operated again. The work will involve lifting the locomotive so the 8 huge 69" diameter driving wheels can be rolled out to be worked on. Recent changes in FRA rules governing steam locomotives means we will also replace the flues in the boiler during this overhaul. There are a few other items of scheduled maintenance to be performed in order to bring the 765 back to top notch condition.<p>The TEA-21 program is an 80/20 program, where the program pays 80% of the cost and the Society must raise the remaining 20%. This means that to take advantage of all the funds available, the Society must raise about $85,000. In 1998 we established the "765 Overhaul Fund" and several thousand dollars has already been raised. If you can help, your donation can be made to the 765Â’s Overhaul Fund by clicking on the web site link contained in this message.<p>Rich Melvin<br>FWRH Operations Officer

The Fort Wayne RR Historical Society Web Site

 Post subject: Re: Good News About NKP765
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 1998 8:34 am 

Are there places to operate a rebuilt 765? With the number of other operational locomotives available, could 765 find somewhere to run, or will the FWRHS find itself with a locomotive that is all dressed up but nowhere to go? <p>Of course if a grant paying for 80% of the restoration cost is available, it would be foolish not to take advantage of it. This certainly is good news.<p>Maybe once 765 is operating again it could be moved to Steamtown, renumbered 759 and run up and down the DL&W mainline a few times. Perhaps this would satisfy the people wanting to restore the 759 and free up scarce restoration money for rebuilding of some other type of locomotive. I'm for restoring as much equipment as possible, but when we only have so much money available, how can we justify restoration of two identical locomotives?<br><br>

 Post subject: Re: Good News About NKP765
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 1998 9:11 am 

There are several places where we can run the 765 when she's ready for the road again, which will not be until sometime in '01. Don't forget that over the years we've made friends on a lot of other railroads besides CSX.

765's Web Site

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 73 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: