It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: GG-1 & Other Electrics
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:52 pm 

joe6167 wrote:
For context how many other iconic electric locomotives are being operated in preservation?

wesp wrote:
Here is a roster of preserved North American electric locomotives by status: inoperable, operable, displayed etc. There are 28 electric locomotives in operating condition in this list. Most operable listings are from interurban railways.

Source: Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars database.

http://www.bera.org/cgi-bin/pnaerc.pl?s ... it=SUBMITj

Happy reading!

Wesley

And of those most seem to be steeplecabs, running on 600VDC.

Is that considered a definitive list? I'm kind of surprised at how short it is.

The closest thing to an "operating iconic electric locomotive" would seem to be the "Little Joe" at IRM, which according to the listing is:

Quote:
[ In 1981, 803 was sold to IRM, which repainted it and made it operational. Although it has operated at Union in the past, it is in need of minor work and is currently simply on display.

So the answer to my question really, is "zero". I thought there would be at least "something"... Anyways, that's the context of returning a GG1 to operation I was looking for.

---------------------------------

Which leads me to my next question: what implications/complications would having nothing remotely similar to a GG1 operating in preservation in the United States, have on returning a GG1 to operation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10