It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Milwaukee Road branchline combine?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:31 am 

I also think there is one outside of Marion, IA on private property off of Highway 151. Its behind the house and out building with a rib side caboose and a little engine. The combine looks pretty rough. No paint or glass were evident from the highway. I have never seen a number.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 pm 

stevem wrote:
I also think there is one outside of Marion, IA on private property off of Highway 151.

Neat find! I've had zero luck with linking to Bing aerial photos but the car does show up on Bing on the northwest corner of 151 (Dubuque Rd) and Hindman Rd. I'd guess it's a 2750-series lengthened car. It looks like there's also a critter and a bay window caboose on the property.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 pm 

Frank -

Well, at least you confirmed that the car is actually there! That's great! Maybe eventually someone will be in that area and actually get a photo.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm 

Quote:
Neat find! I've had zero luck with linking to Bing aerial photos but the car does show up on Bing on the northwest corner of 151 (Dubuque Rd) and Hindman Rd. I'd guess it's a 2750-series lengthened car. It looks like there's also a critter and a bay window caboose on the property. Frank Hicks

Here it is on Google maps:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=mari ... 4&t=h&z=20

Unfortunately, it's blocked by a barn on Street View

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm 

Further information on the combine in Milbank, SD. It carries its original number, 2705. Source is Neil Bagaus, who promoted the festival there for several years.
Alex Huff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm 

Alex Huff wrote:
Further information on the combine in Milbank, SD. It carries its original number, 2705. Source is Neil Bagaus, who promoted the festival there for several years.
Alex Huff

Alex -

Thanks for checking with Mr. Bagaus to find out the car number. I'm a bit confused as to who currently owns the car. The caption on the earlier photo for the car said that it was sold to the Milbank Trainfest group, but they apparently no longer operate the Festival. Perhaps the City now owns the car, or maybe the Sisseton-Milbank Railroad itself. Or is the Trainfest group still in existance? The important thing is that the car still exists.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:

So, an updated list of the known surviving cars:

2705 in Milbank, South Dakota

2708 in French Lick, Indiana

2713 in Mendota, Illinois

2716 in Dunlap, Illinois

2756 in Chisago City, Minnesota

275x in Limon, Colorado

275x in Marion, Iowa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm 

The car in La Crosse, WI is not a combine, but a 1942 built Passenger/Express Car # 207. It is one of two built and car # 206 is stored in Prairie Du Chein, WI.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm 

Skytop45 -

Thanks for the info.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:53 pm 

sbhunterca wrote:
Quote:
Neat find! I've had zero luck with linking to Bing aerial photos but the car does show up on Bing on the northwest corner of 151 (Dubuque Rd) and Hindman Rd. I'd guess it's a 2750-series lengthened car. It looks like there's also a critter and a bay window caboose on the property. Frank Hicks

Here it is on Google maps:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=mari ... 4&t=h&z=20

Unfortunately, it's blocked by a barn on Street View

Steve Hunter
Cardinal, Ontario

While checking something else out on the internet tonight, I ran across a Flickr posting with some pictures of this combine in Marion, Iowa. I can't post the photos here, but I can describe the car. It is definitely one of the 2750 series lengthened cars and its original orange Milwaukee Road paint was starting to show through the red maintenance-of-way paint. Since the photo was taken back in November of 2008, my guess is that even more orange paint has currently appeared. The car seems to be all in one piece, but rust is certainly showing through the bottom sill of the body. Only a couple of the windows had glass in them. The car appears to have its original trucks. The car is marked B&B CAR, and some numbers are starting to show through the paint, but these may be MofW numbers. The photographer stated that the owner let him spend about 45 minutes taking various photos of the car.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm 

I updated our website with a page for tripple combine 2756.

http://www.ironhorsecentral.com/2756.html

It has been interesting to see all the info and interest in these cars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:10 pm 

Was talking to Les, and he thought some others might find a few current photographs of the combine in French Lick of interest... How did this car ultimately end up in French Lick ? ( was the original number known ? ) I do not believe the car is in use .

Dean Levin

Attachments:
FL2.jpg
FL2.jpg [ 56.42 KiB | Viewed 9304 times ]
FL1.jpg
FL1.jpg [ 59.99 KiB | Viewed 9304 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:20 pm 

The Milwaukee Road combine was purchased by an individual and sold to the Indiana Railway Museum, when the Indiana Railway Museum was located in Greensburg, Indiana. This car came from the Reader Railroad in Arkansas. Some of the members road this car from the Reader Railroad to the museum at Greensburg. When the museum moved to French Lick, it went there too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:35 pm 

Dean -

Thanks for the recent photos of the French Lick ex-Milwaukee Road branchline combine. Its current number (501) is the one I believe it carried on the Reader Railroad. The original Milwaukee Road number was 2708.

AlcoC420 -

Interesting information about the Indiana Railway Museum members being able to ride the car up to Greensburg, Indiana from Reader, Arkansas. Try that today!

Les

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 pm 

Does anyone have diagrams, floor plans, or photographs of the interior layout of the triple branch line combine that they would like to share? I would like to finish detailing my brass ho scale model of this car. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike Slater
Sturtevant Wisconsin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next