It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steve Lee and some interesting History
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 am 

As Wasatch is based in Cheyenne, WY. and as Steve Lee and I live not far from each other, I have been able to see a side of Steve that not many have ever seen. No...not that side......what I mean is; Steve is a real human being with a very interesting history of his own. Steve is a very versed World War II historian among other things. Most of his free time is spent doing research and reading about history. There is far more to Steve Lee than the Union Pacific Steam Operations that he has recently retired from.

Last week Steve Lee and I sat down and filmed a two part series about his life after UP and about a new project that he is working on. This new project will be introduced in the second video which will be out this week or early next week. If you have enjoyed the work Steve has done, he will be happy to have you involved in his most current project.

To see my interview with Steve, come to our web page:

http://wrrc.us

In the second part of the two part series I will invite you to ask Steve questions. In the mean time, if you have comments for Steve please post them here on the forum and we will get back to you. You can also send Steve a PM through our web page in the Contact Us section of our page. Don't forget to spend a few minutes surfing our newly designed and easier to use web page.

Thanks for watching and thanks for supporting the future work of retired Steam Boss, Steve Lee.

Kindly yours,

Post subject: Re: Steve Lee and some interesting History
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 pm 

There are still stories coming out about ww2 as many veterans may have just kept quiet about their experiences and maybe as time goes they open up.

ww2 is quite a time for the US and the railroads but also for germany and the craziness behind it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:24 pm 

I heard someone tell me once that he’s big into WW2 vehicles. Do you know if has any of his own? I own a WW2 Jeep and find it interesting how many train buffs like talking about WW2 vehicles with me once they find that out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:12 pm 

The way our country mobilized and geared up for WWII was nothing short of miraculous! Think of the thousands of airplanes, tanks,ships,munitions and other war materiel that was produced in a country who had been in the throes of the depression for several years.
Think of how the railroads handled the unbelievable amount of traffic, both freight and passenger, not to mention moving war materiel, troops and oil. The traffic was heavy to say the least! The railroads weren't in the best of condition either when the mess started due to the depression, but eventually everything that could be used was eventually put into service in one way or another.
I have a dispatcher's train sheet from Newburg, MO which was the division point between St. Louis and Springfield, MO dated April 1943. It shows 56 trains through Newburg that day, plus helper engines both ways out of Newburg for Dixon and Rolla Hills. Most trains ran in several sections. This was on a single track railroad operating on ABS/Train Orders. I imagine the dispatcher was glad to trudge home after a day's work there. I can't imaging what traffic must have been like on the transcontinental lines or the PRR and NYC in those days.
Most of all, the way everyone pulled together to get through it was fantastic! I don't think the country has been that unified since except for maybe 9/11. I also don't think we could do it today. We still have a world class fighting force and should be very proud of our Armed Forces. They are doing a great job for us and we should show our appreciation every time we have a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
The way our country mobilized and geared up for WWII was nothing short of miraculous! Think of the thousands of airplanes, tanks,ships,munitions and other war materiel that was produced in a country who had been in the throes of the depression for several years.

OT, but I have an uncle who to this day says his crowning achievement of his life was managing the change of a production line at a Fisher Body assembly line in Columbus, OH from auto body parts to assembling torpedoes in 90 days in early 1942. He went on to build airstrips on Iwo and after the war was awarded several patents while working for GM.

Bob