It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 pm 

Good evening everyone,
My name is Andrew Dean, and I am looking for information about the Davenport 2-6-2 trench engine frames that became the motive power for the Byron Railroad. I have found an old post here by Ed Kelley with some good information, but any photos that used to be there are long gone.

Does anyone know the current ownership of the engine that was sold to Erie Canal Village in New York? I am also interested in the rest of the Village steam collection, especially their original "homebuilt" 2-6-2.

I am always looking into unusual 2' gauge equipment and operations, so if any photos, technical stats, ownership info, etc on any of the mentioned equipment is available, I would love to know about it.

Thank you!
Andrew Dean
Branson, MO

Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:06 am 

Andrew,

A little poking around found this information. Based on what I can find, I think the train at "Erie Canal Village" is what used to be the equipment for the Byron Railroad but I can't confirm this. However, footage on youtube (taken as recent as 2010) seems to reflect a narrower-than-standard-narrow gauge (I'm assuming 24" gauge) steam engine, possibly one of the ones you speak of. Certainly no 2-6-2 though.

It also appears that they are not running steam now. Their webpage says they provide 1/2 hour diesel rides - www.eriecanalvillage.net . Wonder what changed between last year and this year. Also, one video named the engine "Cricket." Could this be a possible opportunity to help further track down the engine and maybe even other equipment from Byron?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEfklW_JeE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCUd0t_swww

Rome, NY is about 2 hours east of Rochester, about 1 hour 30 minutes east of where we stayed at FLLS for the 40th anniversary. I will ask some of the local folks in Rochester if they know of any (Joe is from Rome/Utica and might know a little bit of information).

-Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 am 

Okay, did some more searching and didn't want to spend half an hour breaking up my previous message, so here's my update...

I found this thread on railroad.net and read through it a bit more and found some more links.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 128&t=4755 - the main thread.

http://www.railroadpix.com/rrphotos/detail/122.html - this is a photo of the 2-6-2 that you may be talking about.

Oh, I also found the 2-6-2!

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/se ... A&state=NY - the very last entry will reflect a 2-6-2 from the Byron RR and has two photos. It is numbered 2968 and is owned by Railstar of Watertown, NY. That will be a Davenport. It also seems they have another 2-6-2 (#1, built by Nolan (?)) as well as a 0-4-0T #100.

Hope that helps. I will see if I have more information from the email I've sent out to several contacts in the area.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:31 am 

insanerocketkid wrote:

Oh, I also found the 2-6-2!

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/se ... A&state=NY - the very last entry will reflect a 2-6-2 from the Byron RR and has two photos. It is numbered 2968 and is owned by Railstar of Watertown, NY. That will be a Davenport. It also seems they have another 2-6-2 (#1, built by Nolan (?)) as well as a 0-4-0T #100.

Hope that helps. I will see if I have more information from the email I've sent out to several contacts in the area.

Mike

Mike -

I know nothing about this steam locomotive, but I am 99.99% certain that the number plate and probably the headlight, are from a Chicago, Burlington & Quincy 4-6-2. The Q had Pacific's in the 2900 series. There are a few other posters on here that could tell for sure if they had an engine numbered 2968. Kind of interesting if in fact, the number plate and headlight ARE from a Burlington 4-6-2 because these engines disappeared from the railroad's roster earlier than some other wheel arrangements.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 pm 

I am curious about the Byron RR, does anyone know more about it? I live in WA state and nobody around these parts could tell me anything about it. Several ‘in the know’ types had never even heard of it or had heard of it as a rumor. If it wasn’t for the mention of it and photos in the book, “Narrow gauge to no man’s land” I never would have known it had ever existed. When did it run and what happened to it? I assume it wasn’t a public operation as I have never met anyone who rode on it or knew anyone who had.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 pm 

Wasn't this in Iowa? I seem to recall part of the old Howell-North book "Little Railroads" was about this operation. The locos had full-sized CB&Q steam loco parts on them, as did the cars.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:46 am 

Howard:
You are correct on both location and mention chapter in the H-N book.
I bought a lot of loco parts from Byron, who had worked for the Q as a pipe fitter. His locomotives were equipped with all sorts of parts from standard gauge locos. It was downright surreal looking at these tiny locos with full size number plates, headlights, dynamos and so forth.
He told me that he had purchased the running gears from Davenport Locomotive Works. They had been part of a cancelled order. He put weird (read: non-locomotive) boilers on them, built the cabs and tenders and finished them out with stuff that he purchased from the Q off scrapped locos and stock room.
Be well,
J.David

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:23 am 

The 1/3 size scale steam locomotives at the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition had full size air compressors because the manufacturer supplied them free for the publicity. Some of them are running today with new owners and compressors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:16 pm 

As mentioned, the railroad was in Iowa...

However, I seem to vaguely recall something similiar here in Washington State. I don't know if it was at all related to the engines in question, something totally different or what.

Quite a while back, probably close to 20 years ago now, somebody proposed installing a railroad at the fairgrounds in Monroe. Various ideas were floated, both the obvious, using it as a kid's ride, and also the possibility of using it as a parking lot shuttle.

The idea was serious enough that somebody contacted me to ask about budget figures for track construction (I work for a rail contractor). I gave them some ballpark numbers and we discussed the project a bit.

Here's all I know... The gauge was to be 2 foot. The engine was steam, owned by somebody in the local area. It was apparently a fairly large engine and so could pull a reasonable train.

I don't know why I made the connection between the two operations. Could simply have been that I'd read of this operation and was wondering if he'd bought one of the engines.

I've never been able to track down what train this was... I suppose it could have possibly been Bob Moe, who now operates at Remlinger Farms with a couple of Crown 4-4-0's. He's never said anything about it, but I've never asked either. If I remember, I'll ask him next time I see him.

His is the only 2 foot gauge steam I can think of in Washington state. It wasn't the Anacortes Railway, Tommy had no inclination to leave Anacortes, and that was 18 inch gauge. There was a live steam Shay up north someplace, but I think it was 18 inch or 15 inch?

Meanwhile, as far as I know, this mystery train has never shown up...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:27 pm 

Byron Hyatt used steam traction engine boilers for the locomotivs. He built the railroad in one location and eventually moved it to another location near (as I recall) Martindale, IA. I don't recall the first location. I believe he used the railroad in both locations to haul passengers for recreation. I visited the line around 1965, and found it to have very nicely constructed track with good ballest, big ties, and rail around 30-40 lbs. running in a big loop. I think he also had a telegraph line along the track and one or more trestles.
It was all quite nicely done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:19 pm 

I have a few shots of the Byron in my collection, for those that haven't seen this operation before.

Attachments:
Byron2.jpg
Byron2.jpg [ 331.89 KiB | Viewed 19779 times ]
Byron1.jpg
Byron1.jpg [ 310.22 KiB | Viewed 19779 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:34 pm 

Jeff! We don't have this one in the database. Can you add it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 pm 

Doug,

*edited*

I am reasonably certain that 2967 is still in private hands in Monroe, Washington; I added it to the database. I also added 2968 at Watertown, NY; currently owned (and stored) by Railstar.

Jeff Terry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 pm 

Jeff Terry wrote:
Doug,

*edited*

I am reasonably certain that 2967 is still in private hands in Monroe, Washington; I added it to the database. I also added 2968 at Watertown, NY; currently owned (and stored) by Railstar.

Jeff Terry

Jeff, you're nothing short of amazing.
Thanks for all you do!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:09 pm 

Jeff and all,
Thank you for the information and the great photos of the 2967. If anyone has any photos of the 2968 (other than those on the steamlocomotive.com site) I would love to see those as well. Does anyone know if Railstar has plans for 2968? Is the general condition of either of these engines known? I'm glad to see them now being listed on steamlocomotive.info!

This little operation and these engines have really peaked my interest. Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Andrew Dean
Branson, MO

Branson, MO