It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2144
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
I am sorry, but I still think they are beautiful.

But, if they were built by members of the Possum Lodge (Red Green Show), then I could understand they have no future.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet
Institut for Systemer, Produktion, og Ledelse


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:28 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1038
Location: Leicester, MA.
CaliforniaMachinist wrote:
Okay I’ve been seeing some topics regarding the two Byron locomotives and I’d like to get a few things straight.

I work as a machinist for the private individual that owns the locomotives. What was said above is true in regards to the condition of these locomotives as we got them.
Without a doubt they were the most hacked together things you’d ever seen. I’ll break it down a little bit.

“2968”
-Had a crude 3 foot extension welded to the frame to allow for the large cab
-had 3 male fittings WELDED together that came off the steam dome
-sand pipes welded to the crosshead guides
-trailing truck assembly was torch cut and welded together
-tender was 2 Standard gauge ties, with a big red round tank inside paper thin sheet metal on top of angle iron trucks with speeder wheels

“2967”
-Had a tractor boiler for starters
-tender was the same cobbled pile that the 2968 had
-front of the frame was cut and shortened
-ran without the trailing wheel assembly
-missing the entire 6 foot section of the original frame

I find it kind of pathetic people would rather see the engines in the “Byron appearance” vs their original trench engine configurations. Luckily, we are putting both engines back to original specs. Viva La trench engine!!


Well... I think that description makes a lot of the other basket cases we see on here look tame. Best of luck to you, I know that a lot of us can't wait to see the success of the rebuilds.

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:14 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:10 am
Posts: 2412
History will be well served by your work. I can’t wait to see the finished locomotives? Are there any Davenport trench engines left? I know there are Baldwin’s, Alcos and a handful of European examples left (some beautifully restored and operational).


CaliforniaMachinist wrote:
Okay I’ve been seeing some topics regarding the two Byron locomotives and I’d like to get a few things straight.

I work as a machinist for the private individual that owns the locomotives. What was said above is true in regards to the condition of these locomotives as we got them.
Without a doubt they were the most hacked together things you’d ever seen. I’ll break it down a little bit.

“2968”
-Had a crude 3 foot extension welded to the frame to allow for the large cab
-had 3 male fittings WELDED together that came off the steam dome
-sand pipes welded to the crosshead guides
-trailing truck assembly was torch cut and welded together
-tender was 2 Standard gauge ties, with a big red round tank inside paper thin sheet metal on top of angle iron trucks with speeder wheels

“2967”
-Had a tractor boiler for starters
-tender was the same cobbled pile that the 2968 had
-front of the frame was cut and shortened
-ran without the trailing wheel assembly
-missing the entire 6 foot section of the original frame

I find it kind of pathetic people would rather see the engines in the “Byron appearance” vs their original trench engine configurations. Luckily, we are putting both engines back to original specs. Viva La trench engine!!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:32 pm 

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 pm
Posts: 1038
Location: Leicester, MA.
robertjohndavis wrote:
History will be well served by your work. I can’t wait to see the finished locomotives? Are there any Davenport trench engines left? I know there are Baldwin’s, Alcos and a handful of European examples left (some beautifully restored and operational).


Aside from these there is the example in Fort Benning, GA. It's lettered for the Quartermaster's Corps and was just repainted about two or three years ago... I can't speak to the accuracy of the tank paintjob (I thought they were kept grey or black). It's had 1902, 6 and most recently 5 put on it for numbers. I just don't know what the system was, or if when the army repainted it they decorated it as another engine that was on their roster...
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/for ... ht-railway
The real shame is that none of the Vulcans survived... It's too bad too, because they were definitely unique.

_________________
Dylan M. Lambert
https://www.facebook.com/LambertLocomotive/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Posts: 733
Here is the history of the Fort Benning loco:

1682 11/1918 2-6-2T 23½” 60cm 9x12 Coal 35000#
US Army #5227, Columbus, Ga
US Army #5227, Ft Benning, Ga
US Army Quartermaster Corps #6 > #V1902, Ft Benning, Ga
US Army Transportation Corps #1902, Ft Benning, Ga
Display - Ft Benning, Ga – Infantry Museum

Richard Dunn, in his Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land, states that Davenport #1682 was Army #5227 and Ft. Benning #10, in use from 1919 to 1946.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5357
daylight4449 wrote:
robertjohndavis wrote:
History will be well served by your work. I can’t wait to see the finished locomotives? Are there any Davenport trench engines left? I know there are Baldwin’s, Alcos and a handful of European examples left (some beautifully restored and operational).


Aside from these there is the example in Fort Benning, GA. It's lettered for the Quartermaster's Corps and was just repainted about two or three years ago... I can't speak to the accuracy of the tank paintjob (I thought they were kept grey or black). It's had 1902, 6 and most recently 5 put on it for numbers. I just don't know what the system was, or if when the army repainted it they decorated it as another engine that was on their roster...
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/for ... ht-railway
The real shame is that none of the Vulcans survived... It's too bad too, because they were definitely unique.


It seems that the number 5 is a misnomer. I'm kind of interested though, in the car that is displayed with the 2-6-2T. Did they actually use that at Fort Benning? Perhaps as a caboose? My guess is that the benches on the platform were later additions, but perhaps this was an "inspection" car. Anyone know its story?

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Posts: 733
According to Dunn Fort Benning had 27 miles of 60 cm track in use from 1919 to 1946. This included 34 locomotives over the years and at least 196 cars. The line was sold off in 1948 except for one 2-6-2T and the observation car which were saved for display.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:56 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Posts: 733
Film at Fort Benning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BTtncKnS9k


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:35 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5357
John T wrote:


John T -

Although number 11 is seen in this film, number 5 seems to be featured. Perhaps that is why the engine was renumbered 5 for its display. Still, it seems as if she was once number 10, which is "in series" with these other locomotives at the time, she probably should now carry THAT number. There was also a very quick view of the observation car now on display, although you have to look quick to see it.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Byron Railroad 2' Gauge Steam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Posts: 733
See here for so shots of the Fort Benning loco in 2012 when it was numbered 1902 and 6.
http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php ... ghlight=oo

Here it is in 1971 as just #1902
http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php ... ghlight=oo


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6-18003, Bing [Bot], ColebrookdaleRailfan, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], kbarnett and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: