It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stub switches
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

We are getting ready to build at least one, and maybe two three way stub switches as the lead to our new building.

We have 5 existing 2 way stubs, have a pattern for the head blocks for those, as well as the pattern for a harp switch stand. Those patterns were faithful copies of existing historic parts. They have been in service now over 25 years. We have a couple of options for a 3 way head block, either making a new head block pattern, based on the 2 way head blocks (using the same core box) or fabricating one from riveted plate based on drawings in W B Parson’s “Track” published in 1886.

One thing we have noticed is a difference in “throw”… our original head block, our pattern, and our switch stands all seem to have a 4.75” throw… Parson’s shows a 5” throw. Is there anything like a standard throw for a switch stand? Again, if it matters we are channeling 1886.

Does anyone have any thoughts on making a fabricated head block for a stub switch? Or an existing pattern for a three way for about 50lb rail? We may need to fabricate a couple of additional frogs as well. We are considering making patterns for a set of wedges to form the frog, again for about 50lb rail, unless someone knows a commercial source.

Some thoughts about our railroad, It is 3’ gauge, we use 40-56lb rail, no tie plates, standard gauge ties. Our minimum radius is 24 degrees. Our heaviest axle loading is about 6 tons. This is a primarily horse drawn railroad, with a couple of Plymouths for back up and occasional visiting steam.

photo by Joe Thompson

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

Post subject: Re: Stub switches
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:42 pm 

The East Broad Top has a three-way stub at the south end of Orbisonia. I know it's a long way to look at something, but maybe someone has information to send on the subject.

The switch is controlled by a type of "harp" stand, with a weight that moves vertically on the handle; this weight drops into slots in the top members of the harp, in a fashion similar to the weights on a doctor's scale.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/east ... oniaPA.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 pm 

The WW&FRy has a three way stub in the yard tracks leading to the shop. The switch is based on an original SR&RL three way stub switch. The switch stand is fabricated out of wood timbers with a metal handle that pins in place if I remember correctly. I'm guessing because I never really studied the frogs but I think the frogs are just rail bent up with machined spacer blocks bolted in the correct locations. I don't have any photos handy but maybe Steve H. will see this and have a photo or two.

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm 

Most modern switch stands offer the ability to change the throw by cranking the eye hook in or out. Is there any means to adjust throw on your stand?

In any case, it's my opinion that a 1/4" difference in throw isn't very significant in something as primitive as a stub switch. On the other hand, lining up the rails is critical, and I'm not sure how they were adjusted. There must be some means to get things aligned.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:38 pm 

Here is one at the railway museum in Delson Quebec.

Attachments:
Scan10002.JPG
Scan10002.JPG [ 295.63 KiB | Viewed 11227 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 pm 

I think I've realized how the do the throw and adjustment.

I'm guessing (and it is a guess) that you build the points portion first. Then you throw the points to the 2 or 3 positions, and line up your turnout rails to match. That would work OK I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:23 am 

Rail size determines the required throw distance. The rail head width you are using, vs the rail head width originally used, is the key to knowing what the increased throw of the stand should be. You still might have to play with the length of the throw rod,or its pivot hole height a bit to get it just right,or if you are using various rail sizes. The lower the pivot hole in the throw levelr, the longer the throws will be.

There were two sizes of CP and UP harp switch stands that come from your area that look the same. One is a few inches taller and has a longer throw

I'd try to find the blueprints to the which version (CP/UP) (large/small) that your project is closest to and copy it.

They were from about 1870-1880 and every rail was about 25-35lb (NG and std gauge) at the time, so either might work for you.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:29 am 

I don't have one handy, but here's one taken by Lance Meyers...
http://www.railfanusa.com/pics/mine/tou ... 0925_9.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:24 pm 

Randy,

Your stuff is 3' gauge, so it might be a good idea to contact Don Tallman and the Colorado RR museum and ask for dimensions and photos of their 3' gauge former RGS 3 way stub switch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 am 

The OERM in Perris has a stub switch.

Post subject: Re: Stub switches - update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

So far, all of the existing 3 way stub switches mentioned seem to use a cobbled up head block. We expect to fabricate a proper one based on an 1886 track book. We are also going ahead with making a pattern for a 3 way head block to match our existing 2 way cast head block.

Based on two 19th century track books, and historic head blocks switch stands in our collection we are using a 5" swing. This works well with rail sizes to about 60lb. Beyond 60lb rail bases start to interfere with each other.

Assuming the switches get built, and the fire road is compete, we expect to move cars into our new 140'x50' car house in late September... ahead of this year's rainy season.

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:02 pm 

These photos won't help much because of the trees but there is still a three-way stub switch in place on the Eagle Lake & West Branch. There is also stub switch for leads to the engine shed. These are "As-last used" circa 1933.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

Amazing! Terry, are either of the switchstands still in place?? (although up there I suppose it's possible they never had them...)

Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:31 pm 

Hello Stephen,

Yes they are - sort of. The one at the locomotives we installed a couple of new ties and set the stand back-up. Unfortunatly some...... urrrrrrgh..... I can't even bring myself to say it........person.....if you can call them that.... smashed it shortly there after.

The one at the the three-way is still there. All of the Switch stands at Tramway were Harp. At Umbazooksus the switch stands are gone but we found one rotary type.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:59 am 

Randy,

Any chance that a firm doing specialty track fabrication would be able to help/fabricate the component?

BN