It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
These images are from Baldwin Magazine Second Quarter 1945.

Due to the binding, I could not scan these pages without blurring at the center. Thus these are all camera photos.

Image

Image

Image

Image

This article confirms that Whitcombs were the first Allied locomotives to enter liberated Rome, Paris, first supply and hospital trains into Belgium, first train into Germany, besides powering the first military train during WW II (North Africa).

Steve


Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:08 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Just found this in a photo album here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11554447 ... 2809097713

Image

Back of the photo states somewhere in France 1945.

Appears to be a pair of Whitcomb 65-ton diesel locomotives damaged by what I would guess was a collision. Photo taken from what appears to be a third Whitcomb.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Whitcomb 65-ton locomotives of the 732nd Railway Operating Battalion (ROB) crossing replacement bridge, Trier Germany, March 1945. Wreckage of original bridge seen to right in photo. The extent of the destruction in Europe was beyond what anyone could imagine.

Image

Image


The same train pulled by Whitcombs at Trier, Germany, March 1945 over replacement bridge by the 732nd Railway Operating Battalion. Wreckage of original bridge seen on right in photo.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: St Louis
New member checking in; serious interest in Whitcomb, particularly the later years. Was intrigued by the movement of people from Baldwin to Whitcomb in the '30s; does anyone here know if there was a similar movement in 1951-52 in the other direction when Rochelle stopped building locomotives? Baldwin papers at the CSRM state that a Mr. Kommerall ran BLH's "Small Locomotive Division" in Eddystone, which was the section building the Whitcomb line and other industrial-sized units (roughly less than 100T). I had to wonder if he came out of Rochelle.

Rick Morgan


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: St Louis
For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Rick

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1187882


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:19 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Rick Morgan wrote:
New member checking in; serious interest in Whitcomb, particularly the later years. Was intrigued by the movement of people from Baldwin to Whitcomb in the '30s; does anyone here know if there was a similar movement in 1951-52 in the other direction when Rochelle stopped building locomotives? Baldwin papers at the CSRM state that a Mr. Kommerall ran BLH's "Small Locomotive Division" in Eddystone, which was the section building the Whitcomb line and other industrial-sized units (roughly less than 100T). I had to wonder if he came out of Rochelle.

Rick Morgan
I have no refernce to a Mr. Kommerall in Rochelle. H. V. Huleguard was the general manager and I haven't seen any change of leadership at Whitcomb (Rochelle) in Baldwin magazine which appears to have ended publication in 1949.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:34 pm 

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm
Posts: 6
Location: St Louis
Thanks, Steve. If and when I return to Sacramento and the CSRM I intend to go through 'the last days of Whitcomb' files they might have and see how they carried out the transfer back east.

Rick


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:15 am 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 am
Posts: 328
Rick Morgan wrote:
For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee, WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Ran across another photo of this same loco on Flickr. (Image has "sharing" enabled so linking to it below).

Interesting lettering on the locomotive:

" US Army WWII
N Africa, France
"

Apparently this loco is an actual overseas war veteran that made it back to the US. How unusual is that?
I don't know anything about these Army Transportation Corps engines, so I'm intrigued!

Image
US Army Centercab 11 by Slider Jake, on Flickr


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Rick Morgan wrote:
Thanks, Steve. If and when I return to Sacramento and the CSRM I intend to go through 'the last days of Whitcomb' files they might have and see how they carried out the transfer back east.

Rick
You are welcome.

I hope to go there next summer on a vacation. Did you see how much Whitcomb material they have?

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
FLO wrote:
Rick Morgan wrote:
For the group- a Whitcomb 65 tonner on display in Wenatchee, WA; ASTX 11, the former USAX 8450 (60456, 5/44).

Ran across another photo of this same loco on Flickr. (Image has "sharing" enabled so linking to it below).

Interesting lettering on the locomotive:

" US Army WWII
N Africa, France
"

Apparently this loco is an actual overseas war veteran that made it back to the US. How unusual is that?
I don't know anything about these Army Transportation Corps engines, so I'm intrigued!

Image
US Army Centercab 11 by Slider Jake, on Flickr

Everything that I know about them is in this thread.

I am curious as to the war history of this particular engine. Does anyone know more about it and how it came back to the states ? Does anyone know what production number is on the builders' plate ?

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Image

Image

Downtown DeKalb 1940 Whitcomb switcher.

From the Waite Embree collection NIU Regional History Collection. http://archon.lib.niu.edu/index.php?p=c ... =2&q=tobin

Waite Wagner Embree, the eldest of three children born to Elmer and Eva, was born November 27, 1905. After graduating from the University of Illinois, he joined his father and brother, Henry, as a partner in the E.E. Embree and Sons Lumber Yard.

In the bottom photo you can see the "Embree's" name on the building which locates these photos as downtown DeKalb, Illinois.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5703
Steve -

Sure would be nice to know the color scheme of this 44-tonner.

I did a bit of checking on the internet and if the units road number (60034) was the builders number, then this unit supposedly had an interesting history. Here is what I found:

Serial number 60034 (built 1940 or 1941). C&NW demonstrator (the photo taken in DeKalb, Illinois "fits"). USA # 7224. Marquette Cement number unknown or unspecified. Finally, Massachusetts Central #401.

I don't guarantee that this information is correct. Nor do I know if the locomotive still exists today. But I thought it was interesting. Maybe someone can confirm or comment.


Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Les Beckman wrote:
Steve -

Sure would be nice to know the color scheme of this 44-tonner.

I did a bit of checking on the internet and if the units road number (60034) was the builders number, then this unit supposedly had an interesting history. Here is what I found:

Serial number 60034 (built 1940 or 1941). C&NW demonstrator (the photo taken in DeKalb, Illinois "fits"). USA # 7224. Marquette Cement number unknown or unspecified. Finally, Massachusetts Central #401.

I don't guarantee that this information is correct. Nor do I know if the locomotive still exists today. But I thought it was interesting. Maybe someone can confirm or comment.


Les
Where did you get this information Les?

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5703
Steve -

Something called North East Rails. Don't know what, or who, they are, but they have a number of photos of Whitcomb's on their site. And guess what? I left off one of the supposed owners of s/n 60034. It was reported as being owned by the Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad as their number 8. How I left that off, I don't know. Another senior moment I guess. As I stated earlier, I have no idea if this information is accurate or not. Someone out there might know though.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: From Rochelle IL and doing Whitcomb Locomotive Research
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 546
Location: Rochelle Illinois
Les Beckman wrote:
Steve -

Something called North East Rails. Don't know what, or who, they are, but they have a number of photos of Whitcomb's on their site. And guess what? I left off one of the supposed owners of s/n 60034. It was reported as being owned by the Pittsburgh, Allegheny & McKees Rocks Railroad as their number 8. How I left that off, I don't know. Another senior moment I guess. As I stated earlier, I have no idea if this information is accurate or not. Someone out there might know though.

Les

Very good Les, will check it out.

Steve

_________________
"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 50 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: