It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP - Edward E. Landrum, Co-Founder McKinney Avenue Transit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 pm 

From the MATA Facebook page:

Quote:
It is with the heaviest of hearts that I come to you with the tragic news of founder Ed Landrum's passing. Ed expired at his home last night surrounded by his family and loved ones. He was 87. Services announcements will be made as soon as information becomes available.

This had been expected for a while as Ed was dealing with emphysema for some time.

I consider Ed to be one of my major mentors in life, not just railway preservation. I will certainly miss him.

Andy

Post subject: Re: RIP - Edward E. Landrum, Co-Founder McKinney Avenue Tran
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm 

A colorful character and a Texan Gentleman of the old school........

dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 pm 

Edward will be greatly missed.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 pm 

I certainly HATE to hear this! While not a personal friend of Ed's, I WAS a personal friend of one of his close acquaintences, and have known of his accomplishments for years. Visited his house once, and was impressed with his overall friendliness, and railroad knowledge in general. My heart goes out to his family!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 pm 

Ed was one of the "old heads" in North Texas railway preservation. I first met him back when I was in High School at a fellow train friend's birthday party. While most knew him as a juice man, he wasn't too shabby in his knowledge of all things rail. He was a real fountain of Dallas history in general, and had a real gift for knowing about critters and all sorts of obscure stuff. I can still recall the naysayers about McKinney avenue (nobody in Dallas will ride an old streetcar to get around downtown), most of whom were anti transit anyhow (nobody in north Texas will ever ride a DART train). He knew where every chicken coop/streetcar in the country around here was, and I will never, EVER forget his instructing me "A TROLLEY is part of a STREETCAR that collects the electriciity. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TROLLEY CAR". He also has a Cagney gasoline 4-4-2 at his house. He'll be missed. I know I do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm 

I was lucky enough to get to know Ed over the last few years and spend some time at his magnificent house. Not but 6 months ago a number of us volunteers went over to Ed's to replace ties on his railroad so we could have a party over there after an upcoming work day. Later after the work day we sat around on his back patio until late into the evening telling what stories each of us had. We were lucky enough to do it by the light of numerous kerosene railroad lanterns that he had in his collection. I can remember that as if it were yesterday. Such a great experience. I'm sorry that I didn't get to spend more time with him doing that. But I will always remember his stories best of all. He told them with such flair. He's truly missed.

Mike S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm 

One thing I do remember about Ed was his absolute DISLIKE for the so-called "trolley" busses that so many cities use to add to the "cuteness". Ed referred to these as "Phony Trolleys". I always got a big kick out of that!