It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Masonic Decorations on locomotives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:51 pm 

Hello! I'm the new guy here. I was wondering if anyone out there have any pic, scans, or information on locomotives with Masonic decorations? I'm primarily interested in Southern steam but I'm not limited to them. I have read about them many times but have never seen any. I would be most obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks, David

Post subject: Re: Masonic Decorations on locomotives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm 

There's photos, primarily in books, that I've seen. Southern specific steam books, don't think Prince book, but it may have been in the Ranks and Lowe book or maybe the Spencer Shops book, tha Jim Wrinn coauthored. Saw it maybe a week or two ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm 

David:
I have seen some. There is one of a Monon 4-6-2 all decked out at the Monon Resturant in Monon, IN.
I took a photo of it, not perfect, but if you send me a private email I will send it to you.

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hey David. It definitely seems like the Southern was a hot spot for Masonic locomotives! Page 210 of the Southern Steam Power book has a couple of photos of "these" locomotives (sorry computer wouldn't let me upload this page). I personally cant say I have seen other railroads with these same decorations (of course I am a southern fan). I'm curious to see what this topic brings forward!

Veterantoget.dk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am 

The N&W pooled power on most mainline jobs fairly early. However, on the branchline & local assignments where a crew would normally have the same equipment assigned daily, there is considerable photographic evidence showing personalization of the locomotives well into the 1930's & later. This included Masonic emblems, brass candlesticks & eagles, etc. The usual Roanoke coachyard switcher job engine until the early 1950's was class M #464. Her regular engineer, Nathan "Hub" Tanner had a brass "curtain rod" on the headlight bracket. Hub was one of the founding members of the Roanoke Chapter NRHS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:28 am 

Well, this is a different Southern steam, but you did say the word Southern! . If any of you have a copy of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern book by McLellan & Warrick right on the dustcover of the front of the book is a picture of locomotive #317 and right under the 317 on the numberplate is the Masonic ruler and compass with the Letter G. I was alway's curious as to why it was shown on the numberplate in the picture on the dustcover.

After looking thru the book on page 196 it shows a full page of the same lithograph that was distributed by the RR in 1875 and it also clearly shows the Masonic symbol on the numberplate under the number 317.

I have an original LS&MS 1876 Centenial business card with the same lithograph of the engine 317/ train on one side and picture of president's Washington & Grant on the reverse side but it is to small to see the Masonic logo on the engine numberplate. I could post a picture of my trade card lithograph but it wouldn't really be of any help not showing the masonic logo.

Several years back on Ebay there was a very old brass RR lock from around 1853-1868 from the Cleveland & Toledo RR a predessor RR that was one of the ones that beccame part of the LS&MS. The lock had the C&T RR name on it and also had the Masonic logo engraved on it. It was a very interesting lock but was priced over $500. A few years after that i found a brass C&T RR lock along the old RR grade but alas mine didn't have the Masonic logo on it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 pm 

http://books.google.com/books?id=XsIEPeWHoicC&lpg=PA50&ots=xtXIhC-59s&dq=southern%20turntable%20spencer%20ps-4&pg=PA47#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here's an online link to what I remembered seeing earlier, however, it was a locomotive decorated for the Shriners.