It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 1261
Location: San Diego, Ca
I think they have at least one other currently being refurbished as well.

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/2013/0 ... tion.html/

_________________
"...the last survivor has now become the first in locomotive rank for all those for whom the name Roanoke is synonymous with steam's finest and final hour"- D.P.M.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 922
Location: Chicago USA
Is this by chance the same location as Lark Club is located? (I wish EEE had bought that!)

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:10 am
Posts: 1872
Location: Twitter @aheadofthetorch
Jeff Lisowski wrote:
I think they have at least one other currently being refurbished as well.

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/2013/0 ... tion.html/



I believe this is his fourth IC round end obs. It is really neat to see him being so proactive with the IC equipment. Imagine someone with his means and dreams who was a PRR or NYC fan... wow...

Rob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:09 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:51 pm
Posts: 6543
Location: Baltimore, MD
The thing to remember is not that this is "someone with means" who happens to be an IC (or PRR or NYC or Santa Fe or....) fan. This is someone with a business plan (it's safe to assume), with known business partners or "co-conspirators." As such, this bears a certain degree of long-term planning, accountability, and--to some extent--potential public access (for a price)., unlike some folks who exercise their right to just lock stuff away from the public. We've seen success stories like this (Grand Canyon RR, Strasburg) and some not-as-successful stories (The American Orient Express and various other private trains).

More interesting to think about--they're hardly done "shopping" yet.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:12 am
Posts: 341
Location: Somewhere off the coast of New England
robertjohndavis wrote:
... Imagine someone with his means and dreams who was a PRR or NYC fan... wow...

Rob


See: Levin, Bennett and Juniata Terminal.

GME


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:02 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:10 am
Posts: 1872
Location: Twitter @aheadofthetorch
Trainlawyer wrote:
robertjohndavis wrote:
... Imagine someone with his means and dreams who was a PRR or NYC fan... wow...

Rob


See: Levin, Bennett and Juniata Terminal.

GME



Totally different types of operation/preservation. Both wonderful, but not apples to apples, counselor.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:08 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 am
Posts: 673
Location: Seattle, WA - Land of Coffee
robertjohndavis wrote:
Jeff Lisowski wrote:
I think they have at least one other currently being refurbished as well.

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/2013/0 ... tion.html/



I believe this is his fourth IC round end obs. It is really neat to see him being so proactive with the IC equipment. Imagine someone with his means and dreams who was a PRR or NYC fan... wow...

Rob


With this purchase, Mr. Ellis' company Iowa Pacific now owns four round end observations and one blunt end observation (all are streamlined heavyweights).

Round end cars:
IC #3305 "Mardi Gras" (formerly owned by the New Orleans Chapter and later the Roanoke Chapter of the NRHS; built as #2188).
IC #3306 "Audubon Park" (built as #2175).
IC #3310 "Pontchartrain Club" (formerly the PV "Eaton," had been the "Mark Beaubien" under IC ownership; built as #2189).
IC #3320 "Paducah" (built as #2173).

All four round end cars had been built as 88 seat coaches by Pullman in 1916-17 (lot #4406) and rebuilt to observations circa 1947. As the linked article briefly mentions, the #3305 & #3306 were indeed assigned to the "City of New Orleans" (trains #1 & #2), while the #3310 was assigned to trains #19 & #20, and the #3320 was part of the general "streamline service" pool.

Blunt end car:
IC #3378 "Calumet Club" (formerly the #3308; built as #2211).
The #3378 (ex-#3308) had been built as an 88 seat coach by Pullman in 1918 (lot #4519) and rebuilt to an observation circa 1951.

For those interested in or researching the histories/specifications of IC passenger cars, these 2 websites are highly useful:

The cars are listed under their original coach numbers here: http://icrr.net/passenger.htm. The cars are included on page 5.

A full PDF file of the 1952 IC passenger car roster folio diagram is available on Tom Parker's website at: http://www.illinois-central.net/. The link to the PDF is located in the "Consist" column on the right side, under "Car & Locomotive Diagrams" (fourth one listed).

For links to pictures of the cars under IC and Iowa Pacific ownership, try Jerry LaBoda's photo links database at: http://passcarphotos.info/
Illinois Central photos: http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/IC.htm
Iowa Pacific photos: http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/S1b.htm#SLRG

filmteknik wrote:
Is this by chance the same location as Lark Club is located? (I wish EEE had bought that!)

Steve



Which Lark Club is that?

_________________
Ted Brumberg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 922
Location: Chicago USA
Lark Club, the ex-SP triple unit diner/lounge which has been sitting outside Tyler, TX and which was sold to the Grapevine RR earlier this year.

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 am
Posts: 673
Location: Seattle, WA - Land of Coffee
Rainier Rails wrote:
Which Lark Club is that?


filmteknik wrote:
Lark Club, the ex-SP triple unit diner/lounge which has been sitting outside Tyler, TX and which was sold to the Grapevine RR earlier this year.

Steve


Thanks for the info, Steve. I forgot about those. SP #10277-79, formerly of the Whistle Stop Ranch. Part of the 1941 Lark order from P-S (lot #6638).

_________________
Ted Brumberg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm 

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 661
Location: Califoothills / Midwest Prairies
So, aside from the 4 cars in Ed Ellis ownership, and the body of Gulfport at the museum in Monticello, IL, do any other IC streamlined obs cars survive?
http://www.railroadheritage.org/SPT--FullImage.php?ResourceId=1331&FieldName=Screenshot


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:43 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:01 am
Posts: 33
Let us not forget that Iowa Pacific also owns the ex-Milwaukee skytop observation Coffee Creek as well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:27 am 

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:42 am
Posts: 673
Location: Seattle, WA - Land of Coffee
o anderson wrote:
So, aside from the 4 cars in Ed Ellis ownership, and the body of Gulfport at the museum in Monticello, IL, do any other IC streamlined obs cars survive?[/url]


Well, if we're just counting round end observations, here's a list:
#3300 "Bamboo Grove": according to http://icrr.net/passenger.htm, the #3300 is currently in Ormond Beach, FL, and was previously owned by the New Orleans Chapter of the NRHS (which also formerly owned the #3305).
As mentioned by O. Anderson, the Monticello Railway Museum owns the #3312 "Gulfport."
As previously mentioned, #3305, #3306, #3310 & #3320 are owned by Iowa Pacific.
This is a total of 6 surviving IC round end observations.

If we're also counting blunt end observations, this would also include:
#3307 "Mid-America Club": also according to http://icrr.net/passenger.htm, the #3307 is on the Fox River Railroad in Green Bay.
As previously mentioned, #3378 (ex-#3308) is owned by Iowa Pacific.
This is a total of 2 surviving IC blunt end observations.

Altogether, this is a grand total of 8 surviving IC observations.

skytop45 wrote:
Let us not forget that Iowa Pacific also owns the ex-Milwaukee skytop observation Coffee Creek as well.


That's interesting. Glad to hear it's in good hands. It'll be nice to see the Coffee Creek out on the high iron in a few years. 261 excursions, perhaps?

_________________
Ted Brumberg


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:10 am
Posts: 1872
Location: Twitter @aheadofthetorch
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The thing to remember is not that this is "someone with means" who happens to be an IC (or PRR or NYC or Santa Fe or....) fan. This is someone with a business plan (it's safe to assume), with known business partners or "co-conspirators." As such, this bears a certain degree of long-term planning, accountability, and--to some extent--potential public access (for a price)., unlike some folks who exercise their right to just lock stuff away from the public. We've seen success stories like this (Grand Canyon RR, Strasburg) and some not-as-successful stories (The American Orient Express and various other private trains).

More interesting to think about--they're hardly done "shopping" yet.



Perhaps... though some unflattering news has surfaced. Hopefully this is just a blip.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_23790454/rails-debt-parent-company-local-train-operator-struggles?IADID=Search-www.santacruzsentinel.com-www.santacruzsentinel.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:41 am
Posts: 2071
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
robertjohndavis wrote:


Ugh, did you read the comments following that article? Apparently the trail hounds are after that railroad, too, and they sound exactly like their counterparts in New York. They can't stand a working railroad anywhere, and they have the ears of the politicians.

If you've ever had doubts, you shouldn't anymore that we "don't get no respect, no respect at all!"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pullman Rail Journeys Buys Another Observation
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:55 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:28 am
Posts: 1994
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
J3a-614 wrote:
If you've ever had doubts, you shouldn't anymore that we "don't get no respect, no respect at all!"


Own your own railroad, pay your bills, run your business or non-profit organization correctly and you'll never have to worry about such things.

If you lease or rent your railroad, and fail to live up to the terms of the agreement, if you fail to run your business in a manner that doesn't leave creditors spread out, if you fail to be a "good neighbor" and leave rusty Junk all over the place, then you basically just handed your enemies, trail advocates and others the sword they will use to slay you. Respect is a two-way street. If you do not respect the community in which you operate, they will not respect you.

_________________
David M. Wilkins


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], p51, steaminfo, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: