It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: Western Maryland Scenic Acquires C&O 1309
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 am 

I think J&L 58 would look mighty fine with "Nut Tree Railroad" on the side. I originally was posting this as a joke, but the five year old boy in me would really like to see it.

We all have our dreams, and we are really lucky that so many of our dreams are coming true.

Pretty soon we will all be wearing Google glasses, and the CGI in the glasses will be able to paint our lokos any color we want. But so far, CGI can't do the rumble in the ground, the cinders, smell, and the heat as she passes by.

Attachments:
nut_tree_miniature_railroad_vacaville_ca.jpg
nut_tree_miniature_railroad_vacaville_ca.jpg [ 327.6 KiB | Viewed 11705 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:54 am 

nyc1115_wv wrote:
Hahaha, classic.

Just another reason why this board and this industry/hobby are dying. Mr Moderator, if you so desire, cancel my f'ing account.

Wish granted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:51 pm 

steamfan765 wrote:
I have a question how will they be able to turn the engine around since it won't fit on the turntable? do they have a wye track?

I don't know anything about how they turn the locomotives at WMSR other than the turntable. If they don't have another way, they can easily run tender first on the return trip to Cumberland. Almost every tourist railroad of that size has a "runaround" point somewhere along their line.

Thomas Dyrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 pm 

Trainkid456 wrote:
steamfan765 wrote:
I have a question how will they be able to turn the engine around since it won't fit on the turntable? do they have a wye track?

I don't know anything about how they turn the locomotives at WMSR other than the turntable. If they don't have another way, they can easily run tender first on the return trip to Cumberland. Almost every tourist railroad of that size has a "runaround" point somewhere along their line.

Thomas Dyrek

As stated in the top post on this page, there is a turntable in Frostburg which will fit the 1309 - if memory serves me correctly, they will have to lengthen the run-around siding there for when the engine is done spinning on the table. There is a wye not too far from the Ridgeley, WV shops that the WMSR frequently uses to turn the engines once they get back from Frostburg/Cumberland.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 pm 

Just my $.02 (and you would be better off with the $.02) but it matters that 1309 will be lettered for Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, which is a going concern, not the former Western Maryland Railroad, subsumed within CSX. It would bug me if the locomotive were to be disguised as something the old Western Maryland never owned for display or even use, by a museum or historical group, but that isn't what they are doing. If, say, the old Western Maryland had bought this locomotive and used it in freight service toward the end of steam instead of letting it be scrapped or donated to a museum I don't think anyone would be complaining that it was a "counterfeit" WM locomotive, any more than all the used diesels NS is buying right now are "not really" NS units. Splitting hairs perhaps, but I think the distinction matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:28 pm 

You mean like LS&I 34 isn't?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:18 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
You mean like LS&I 34 isn't?

Yep, and I reread the statement, "Scenic Railroad" won't be included. That's a farce.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Hot Metal wrote:
When we started on J&L 58 two years ago, what we were going to put on the side of the saddle tank was the last thing on my mind. Originally it was unlettered, but other J&L locomotives did have "Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation" spelled out on the tank. But our operation is also known as the "J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad". So what to do? Leave it blank or choose one of the two other names?

If this line of ridiculousness keeps up, I suggest you letter it BRIO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:48 pm 

I don't think Rick can replicate the correct appearance with paint - you'd need to use it for its purpose in a steel mill that hasn't been upgraded for 60 years to get the right patina of mill grunge on it, along with wear and rust and everything else that makes industrial railroading as wonderful as it is. I'd rather see it in rust rubbed with dirty grease than shiny anything.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:32 pm 

Some of you guys, lol. What about the passenger cars it will be hauling around not painted in their original livery.
I will go down there when it's running to ride behind it and see one of the few articulated steam loco's running in the country plus it's on the east coast!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:33 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
I think J&L 58 would look mighty fine with "Nut Tree Railroad" on the side. I originally was posting this as a joke, but the five year old boy in me would really like to see it.

If you have ever worked with me, you would soon see that the "Nut Tree Railroad" is 100% accurate!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:16 pm 

Honestly I could care less what lettering it carries. Its painted black and it runs (I mean, unless you all are in favor of Blue with Googly eyes on the front).

They are doing a very in depth rebuild, and I know they have a long road ahead of them to make their stated deadline (I hate deadlines on steam locomotives, I've always told people it will be done when its done). But when she is running, she will be a fine machine to see, I'll have to make a trip out there some day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm 

I'm putting the brakes on this thread.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26