It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Atlantic Coast Line 1504 "Project Return to Glory"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:21 pm 

It’s a continuation of the previous restoration group. If you look at the posts, the tender has deteriorated even further and they have some rats nest problems on the boiler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 pm 

whodom wrote:
As far as remaining (as opposed to preserved) ACL steam, don't forget 2-8-0 #712, formerly used on the Rockton & Rion, at the SCRM in SC:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=928947

The 712 is still privately owned and from what I understand for sale for the right price. A friend of mine with steam experience has looked at it, and thinks it is still a viable candidate for restoration. As for the SCRM, they are a joke. They also have the Hampton and Branchville ten wheeler that is wasting away. It had been operable and in decent shape when it was stuffed and mounted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 pm 

usaf_andrew wrote:
The 712 is still privately owned and from what I understand for sale for the right price. A friend of mine with steam experience has looked at it, and thinks it is still a viable candidate for restoration. As for the SCRM, they are a joke. They also have the Hampton and Branchville ten wheeler that is wasting away. It had been operable and in decent shape when it was stuffed and mounted.

The killer is that 712 was in the process of being re-flued when steam operations were stopped on the Rockton & Rion. I don't believe there are currently any flues in it. A complete brand-new set of flues was in the shop at Anderson Quarry; they were gradually used up for fence posts, air lines, and similar miscellaneous uses.

H&B #44 hasn't been operable since the mid-1970's. It was made operational when it was acquired by the Charleston Chapter NRHS in the late 1960's (?). It did participate in one excursion on the Southern but was sidelined when one of the crossheads ran warm. After that, it supposedly it blew a superheater unit while pulling trains at an open house at Charleston Air Force Base. When I joined the Charleston Chapter NRHS is 1978, they had already pulled the superheater units out and had begun removing the flues with the intention of re-fluing it at some point. We did exercise it regularly and gave it a paint job. Unfortunately the bell was stolen while it was stored on the Naval Weapons Station South Annex (former Army Depot) about 1979, and the number plate was stolen off the smokebox when it was temporarily reinstalled for an open house in Charleston and left installed for a week or two. I believe the builders plates also "walked off". I guess nothing good has happened since it was moved up to Winnsboro.

Either of these would be great engines for operation at SCRM.