It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W&LE Station, Wheeling, W.Va.
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 am 

This turned up on my Facebook page, from the "Memories of Wheeling" site. Note that for some reason the photo was mislabeled as "P&LE":

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Enlarged version:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 3878_n.jpg

For those with any familiarity of Wheeling as it is now, this is south of the former B&O station, now occupied by a college, but unfortunately shorn of its elevated platforms and now just a large attractive building with no railroad "context." That station, and its elevated platforms, are visible in the background. Also visible just above the station at the right are the heating plant smokestack and the top of the interlocking tower that were part of the station complex. These were demolished some years earlier, the heating plant and team track area now occupied by the Ohio County Public Library.

The W&LE station itself is long gone, later replaced by a Greyhound bus station that, as far as I know, is also still around and in use for an electrical supply company. (I could be wrong on that, as I haven't been there in several years.)

Wheeling & Lake Erie ceased passenger service in 1938. Those last trains operating out of this station consisted of wooden equipment pulled by 4-4-2s.

Post subject: Re: W&LE Station, Wheeling, W.Va.
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:26 pm 

Ah, so that's where it was!
The old Greyhound station is still there, but I think it's lighting sales now. I was up that way today, but went across 470 instead of going up through town.