It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aerotrain question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:45 pm 

The GM Aerotrain was somewhat of a disaster in performance, but I wonder if a complete set could still be assembled? I know there are two power cars and at least a couple of coaches remaining, but were other cars spared, perhaps as contractors offices, etc?

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?n ... d_Aero.jpg

Post subject: Re: Aerotrain question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:33 pm 

The Aerotrain: The ugliest thing GM ever built, with the possible exception of the Pontiac Aztec.
Mike W.

Post subject: Portland "Zooliner"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:07 am 

I should know the answer to these questions since I lived in Oregon for a long time, but I don't.

One of the miniature trains that ran at Washington Park Zoo was a train called the "Zooliner". I believe this was a knockoff of the Aerotrain.

1. Is this little train still running?

2. Did GM contribute to the building of this train?

3. Who built the train?

As always, thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:18 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
And your point would be what, exactly? To show engineering and design students how NOT to design railroad passenger equipment, style a train, and market a concept?

Come to think of it, such a demonstration might have been useful to British Leyland and their ill-fated LEV railbus designs in the 1980s in the UK.........

Post subject: Re: Portland "Zooliner"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:36 pm 

According to their website, it's still there.
Mike

http://www.oregonzoo.org/AboutZoo/train.htm

Post subject: Re: Portland "Zooliner"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:18 pm 

The "Zooliner" is indeed still operating in Portland. Down in the Bay Area, we had an Aerotrain running for many years at the Oakland Zoo (24" gauge). The train was built in Oakland by Ray Maker. It was removed from the site in 1995; and I have no idea where it went. It was installed around 1963.

There's also some smaller "Aerotrains" in operation at other parks and zoos. The Ottaways/Chances built 20" and 24" gauge Aerotrain models; one of which is on display at Quaker Square in Akron, Ohio, and another running at the Ellis Railroad Museum in Ellis, Kansas. Less than a dozen of these trains were built in the late 50s/early 60s.

Idlewild Park in Reno, Nevada also has a little 10" gauge "Aerotrain". As a side note, its builder also had constructed a live steamer dressed up as the "Freedom Train of Idlewild Park" in 1976; numbered 3339. I used to have a brochure of it that I picked up somewhere in the Reno/Tahoe area for the park; it had been long removed by then, and stationed in the garage of its builder, Joseph Cihura. It remains there today.

I've also heard stories of an Aerotrain in Upstate New York. Disneyland's long-gone "Viewliner", though it wasn't in any way a replica of the Aerotrain (commonly confused as such, though), was based on this 50s retro design. (30" gauge). These trains have been long-scrapped when the submarines took over that portion of Disneyland in 1959, and the Monorail opened. There was talk of bringing back a Viewliner-inspired attraction to run between the esplanade and the parking lot in the early DCA plans I understand, but this was long-dead. The route is the current tram route.

-Ed Kelley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:52 am 

A friend bounced to Pittsburgh on the Aerotrain. Said he got seasick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:31 pm 

As far as I know, the only Aerotrain parts saved are a power car and a few coaches at the museums in Green Bay and Kirkwood, MO. I don't think a tail car was saved in either place, so a complete set was not saved.

Chris.

Post subject: Re: Aerotrain tail car question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:44 pm 

Some months ago, a post on this Board mentioned an AeroTrain tail car being used as an office, but I forget the detials.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 pm 

So... a recent visit to - you guessed it - the MOT has got me wondering yet again:

What happened that two sets were saved yet both are missing the tail cars?

There were actually THREE Aerotrain engines - one was built alone for the Rock Island.
Of the two full sets - seems both tail cars disappeared. What happened that two would partial sets would be held for preservation yet the tail cars (and even a few coaches) were not? Wrecked? "You got the engine - don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Or, something else?

Here's a recent photo of a set in Green Bay, WI taken by my good friend, Dennis, and the second features the other partial set at the MOT in St. Louis, MO.

/Mitch

Attachments:
Aerotrain GB DL LR.jpg
Aerotrain GB DL LR.jpg [ 272.46 KiB | Viewed 8525 times ]
Aerotrain MOT MG VLR.jpg
Aerotrain MOT MG VLR.jpg [ 270.93 KiB | Viewed 8525 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:50 pm 

The 30 inch gauge Zooliner inspired park train at the Portland Zoo is still there, and presumably operable (unless they're doing some work on it), how the entire railroad is currently out of service while a larger elephant enclosure is constructed. Plans call for the railroad to return to operation, though exactly what the final configuration will be seems to change from time to time. The Zooliner is the main train, with another diesel train also operating, and the steamer running on busy days and during special events like the Rose Festival.

This section of the track has been removed. Note the "Dome Car" a relatively recent modification to accommodate wheelchairs by providing extra headroom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 pm 

Well, Jeeze, Bob - if you weren't going to answer the question, the least you could've done was feature a photo of the Zooliner tail car, lol!

Nice shot - thanks for sharing. I had heard of this replica, never seen it.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 pm 

Hi,

I did not realize that the Aerotrain was not just PRR. Thanks for the info.

Photos from the PRR with the aerotrain and regular equipment always made me think of the Aerotrain as a "toy." Now-a-days, I'd say that's what happens when you try to railroads with Low Riders.

Did it bounce up and down and off its wheels in the station <GRIN>?

Doug vV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:25 am 

I rode the PRR Aerotrain from Pittsburgh to Altoona. The return trip was on one of PRR's garden variety lightweight coaches. That trip was enough to convince me that such very light trains with two axle cars would be a fad that would quickly pass from the railroad scene. It did, quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:43 am 

David -

I rode the Aerotrain when the Rock Island had them in non-rush hour commuter service. It was a horrible ride; especially going through turnouts or over diamonds. Of course, who knows how much maintenance the Rock was doing on the trains by then. My guess is.....not much.

Les