It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the best wood/steel coach resto. you've seen?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 pm 

As the title says, can anyone suggest what they feel is the best wood coach (EDIT: or wood and steel coach) restoration they've ever seen, down to the brush stroke?

I'd like to make an effort to visit a car where the restorers used the most appropriate varnishes, paints, fabrics, and woods, and used top notch craftsmanship and correct historic methods, so that the car is as true to the original artifact as possible.

Your nominations please!

Last edited by rock island lines on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What's the best wood coach resto. you've seen?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm 

rock island lines wrote:
I'd like to make an effort to visit a car where the restorers used the most appropriate varnishes, paints, fabrics, and woods, and used top notch craftsmanship and correct historic methods, so that the car is as true to the original artifact as possible.

While not a restoration, Dan Markoff's project to build a replica E&P combine looks amazing. He has been posting in-progress pictures over at the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum, like in this post: E&P combine name plate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:34 pm 

This DSS&A #213 is one of my favorites. Probably because I remember it when it came in and how bad it was from start. Not the most expensive, but just one of many great restorations at Mid Continent. This was a private restoration by owner and his family. Very lengthy and a lot of time spent on details.

http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/wo ... sa213.html

Last edited by John Risley on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:07 pm 

When you say wood coaches, the first thing that comes to mind is Strasburg's impressive fleet. However, they make some significant modifications to the coach structure. I'm being intentionally vague, since I don't know the specifics, but I'm thinking of the truss structure in the sides. That said, they do a very nice job on them and the results are impressive.

However, you asked about authentic methods and original materials. Given that, I'd suggest you take a look at the "Messenger of Peace" Chapel Car at Northwest Railway Museum. Their new wood shop has been turning out some wonderful work. I don't know what areas, if any, they've had to compromise in. I'm sure there are some, guessing they didn't use lead based paint for example, but it appears, from casual observation, that they're trying hard to stay true to the original whenever possible.

http://www.trainmuseum.org/MoP/intro.php

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:40 pm 

By asking for wood cars only I think I limited the field too much. There are some steel and wood cars out there that would be interesting to know about. The Lake City at IRM is one I'd like to know more about.
Maybe I should edit my original posting...

Post subject: Re: What's the best wood/steel coach resto. you've seen?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 am 

There are so many great restorations to choose from. My current favorite is the business car "Missabe" at the Lake Superior Railroad Museum. Built in 1893 for the Duluth, Missabe & Northern, it became a summer cottage in 1937. Tom Gannon and museum volunteers did an unbelievable job bringing this classic back to life.

Then there's Mid-Continent. The recently restored fish car, Badger No. 2, is a standout. However, every time I'm in the coach shed I find myself gravitating to a caboose, Great Northern X582, which in my opinion is the nicest wooden caboose in existence today. It's a superb restoration.

Jeff Terry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am 

There is an individual (and wife) named Wes Swift who lives in Santa Cruz, California who purchased the Yosemite Valley 330 observation car for one dollar several years ago. It is a 1907 Hicks wooden car. It was essentially broken in two. He has restored the car to operation. The car is at Niles Canyon rail yard. It is a faithful restoration done almost completely out of pocket. There have been several stalwart volunteers who were of immeasurable service also.

I nominate this car because one individual saw the significance and potential of the restoration and pushed it through. This car didn't become a partially finished relic or cease to exist because of one persons tenacity. The work is very good too.

Visit www.yv330.com and check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

There are a number of really good restorations...

At Mid Continent, I really like MLSW 63, http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/wo ... lsw63.html Of special interest are the reports about the process by Glen Guera at http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/wo ... page1.html

Both the California State Railroad Museum and the Nevada State Railroad museum have some spectacular wooden cars... although many are so completely restored that there is little left of the original car... (some of those involved continue to debate the how and what of restoration and responsibility to the artifact ) Both museums have restoration feasibility studies and reports which document the cars and the work done. (if including steel cars, then the McKeen at NSRM wins hands down)

As previously noted, the Yosemite Valley car, privately restored by Wes and Claudia Swift is a work in progress... from a wreck to a operable car, with interior work continuing http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 3099,d.cGE

We also need to look at the collections of some of the trolley museums... Bay Area Electric at Rio Vista has done several wooden interurbans, one from Petaluma, one from Peninsular Ry in the San Jose area, and most recently a Sacramento Northern car. The San Jose group did a horse drawn street car that is wonderful...

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:13 pm 

Though it may be out of scope of the original poster's question, I can't help but echo the comment about the McKeen car at Nevada State. Its the most jaw-dropping car I've seen. Both for uniqueness of the original design and quality of the restoration.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:34 pm 

Myself, I've always been partial to TVRM's 1688. It's still got the original light fixtures and is pretty much unaltered asthetically.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:36 pm 

I'd nominate PSRM's RS&S #3, built in 1886 by PRR. Last used in train service on the Rockdale, Sandow & Southern in 1945 as a "Jim Crow" combine. Went to "Hollywood" where it was used in a number of movies in the late 40's-early 50's. For more details see: http://www.psrm.org/index.php/trains/pa ... railroad-3

Photo taken at its restoration completion celebration in 2012.

Attachments:
RS&S-3.jpg
RS&S-3.jpg [ 93.58 KiB | Viewed 10478 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:19 pm 

Denver & Rio Grande Western Coach No. 284 at Colorado State Railroad Museum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:09 am 

I haven't seen it since it was restored to service, but I'll nominate British Columbia Electric Railway interurban 1225. I helped get it ready for loading at Orange Empire in Sept. 2005 and four years later visited the work in progress in BC. My wife was greatly impressed by the woodwork, and the whole project made me glad that the car had been "repatriated". Now it's running along its old home road (with the help of a diesel generator), a job well done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm 

Bob Davis wrote:
I haven't seen it since it was restored to service, but I'll nominate British Columbia Electric Railway interurban 1225. I helped get it ready for loading at Orange Empire in Sept. 2005 and four years later visited the work in progress in BC. My wife was greatly impressed by the woodwork, and the whole project made me glad that the car had been "repatriated". Now it's running along its old home road (with the help of a diesel generator), a job well done.

Thanks, Bob for your vote. We are just finishing on Oct 11th and 12th our 2nd operating season and BCER 1225 has exceeded our expectations. Not bad for a 102 yr old, eh!
For those wanting to see the car: http://www.fvhrs.com
PS: In the construction stage of a new track that will by-pass an operating problem we have had this year. Check out the pics on our Facebook page.
Will Be at OERM Nov 14th.

Attachments:
1225.jpg
1225.jpg [ 89.79 KiB | Viewed 9755 times ]

Last edited by FVHRS on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:13 pm 

Ok, so I'm biased because I spent so many years restoring this car, but we went the extra mile to procure everything needed for the restoration as close to the original as we could get.
http://www.hcry.org/collection_1915_8.html

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 70.29 KiB | Viewed 9312 times ]