It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOCO Identification
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 am 

Is there anyone here in this group who could help identify this loco by ton and builder? I have lost the printed info which goes with this drawing.

Mr.Starr

Attachments:
0575.JPG
0575.JPG [ 48.2 KiB | Viewed 7436 times ]

Post subject: Re: LOCO Identification
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:26 am 

GE SL144 The spec sheet drawing shows a single stack, but two prime movers are installed. https://www.thedieselshop.us/DataSL144.HTML

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:02 am 

Boiler Water wrote:
GE SL144 The spec sheet drawing shows a single stack, but two prime movers are installed. https://www.thedieselshop.us/DataSL144.HTML

I know that the GE SL series is too new for this one .

Mr. starr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am 

I think it's a pre-war Whitcomb of some sort, looks like one of the units sold to CB&Q. My "Diesel Spotter's Guide" is in storage now!!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rrpa_photos/51569/cbq9120.jpg

Howard P.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I just took a high-speed flip through three spotter's guides, and came up with absolutely NOTHING that matches, even going to tiny builders like Whitcomb, Davenport, Plymouth, and Atlas.

The separate headlights are indicative of a very early design. The general scale indicates a larger loco, but once again I cannot find an exact match.

What does it say above the radiator--where others have put "PLYMOUTH" or "DAVENPORT"?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:29 am 

I would have said Porter, but it's bigger than anything in their catalog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:07 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
What does it say above the radiator--where others have put "PLYMOUTH" or "DAVENPORT"?

Looks like it says CUMMINS DIESEL. Which means the radiator was to be supplied by the engine manufacturer. Very common early on.

Could have been a one off, or prototype. Export possibly?

I agree the seperate headlight indicates early on for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:11 pm 

My Diesel Spotter's Guide is packed away also, but I seem to recall that CB&Q had three (I think) early centercabs built by either Midwest Engineering, or Midwest Locomotive Works; only three locomotives ever produced by this builder. The angled braces under the cab seem reminiscent of those units.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:14 pm 

Luckilly, my copies of the Diesel Spotters Guide aren't packed away !

In the 1967 edition of the DSG (which cost me all of 50p a few years back from the Great Central Railway secondhand bookshop...) it shows this Cummins Engine Company loco in the "Miscellaneous Bulders" section at the back on page "Misc-5"

It lists it as a 90T, 1000hp loco built in 1937 for the Fort Worth & Denver City, powered by two 7x10 Cummins V-12 engines, with GE electrical equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:14 pm 

The elevation view matches the illustration of the Cummins Engine Company locomotive in The Diesel's First 50 years by Louis A. Marre, published in 2012. This was a 95-ton unit that reportedly was assembled by GE in 1937.
Attachment:
File comment: From "The Diesel's First 50 Years"
Cummins_Diesel_1st_50_years-cropped.jpg
Cummins_Diesel_1st_50_years-cropped.jpg [ 156.87 KiB | Viewed 7094 times ]

The Midwest Locomotive Works and Cummins Engine Company products are also covered in the big (8.5"x11") horizontal format book The Diesel's First 50 years by Louis A. Marre, published in 2012.

Lyle Cummins in his book, Diesel Odyssey of Clessie Cummins, Carnot Press, 1998, about his father and the early years of Cummins diesel, tells of the project with Midwest. The manager of the Cummins company was much more enthused about the concept of diesel locomotives than Cummins himself was. Lyle Cummins indicates that the Cummins company assembled these locomotives. The company even obtained and relocated a bolt-together building to assemble the locomotives.
Attachment:
File comment: From the photo section of "Diesel Odyssey of Clessie Cummins"
cummins1_reduced.jpg
cummins1_reduced.jpg [ 50.27 KiB | Viewed 7094 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 pm 

It's definitely not a GE SL144. VMT has one of those and it's much uglier than the locomotive in the drawing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 pm 

Brian Norden wrote:
The elevation view matches the illustration of the Cummins Engine Company locomotive in The Diesel's First 50 years by Louis A. Marre, published in 2012. This was a 95-ton unit that reportedly was assembled by GE in 1937.
Attachment:
Cummins_Diesel_1st_50_years-cropped.jpg

The Midwest Locomotive Works and Cummins Engine Company products are also covered in the big (8.5"x11") horizontal format book The Diesel's First 50 years by Louis A. Marre, published in 2012.

Lyle Cummins in his book, Diesel Odyssey of Clessie Cummins, Carnot Press, 1998, about his father and the early years of Cummins diesel, tells of the project with Midwest. The manager of the Cummins company was much more enthused about the concept of diesel locomotives than Cummins himself was. Lyle Cummins indicates that the Cummins company assembled these locomotives. The company even obtained and relocated a bolt-together building to assemble the locomotives.
Attachment:
cummins1_reduced.jpg

Brian, Thank You , you came through. You had the information I needed. Again Thank You.

Mr. Starr