It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone know of any NYO&W locomotives or rolling sto
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:12 pm 

Andrew,

Did anyone install new copper crush washers under the heads? This was the problem with our 44 Tonner, previous owner was reusing the old copper washers and just trying to fix it with RTV. IIRC on the D17000 there are O-Rings between the liner and the block, the lower o-rings may have dried out.

We replaced the copper washers and it solved the problem on one engine (water was showing up in the oil and oil was showing up in the cooling water), oil is still showing in the sight glass on the second engine but hasn't increased (but we don't use that engine much) so we are assuming there is a little oil trapped in a high gallery. We hope an engine flush will clean it out. The other possibility on ours is the water pump shaft seal may be failing as this is the only area where oil is under pressure next to water in a vacuum, all other locations the oil is under less pressure then the neighboring water (we have the 2nd generation water pumps, first generation pumps had an exposed layshaft).

Rich Cizik
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
www.cteastrrmuseum.org

Andrew Durden wrote:
It is getting water into the lube oil. This has been a somewhat cyclical occurrence with the prime mover in question. I now believe that there is a fissure in one of the liners.

Either way, it needs new pistons and liners as they're all pretty tired. We weren't about to spend the material cost to do this on an engine that's becoming harder and harder for which to find parts. It would be nice to find a nice running take-out D17000 and drop it in, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:54 pm 

What ever became of that observation car, or business car that was located inside a home or barn in South Carolina? I remember 10-13 years ago that it was up for sale or donation, but never heard of its resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 pm 

NYO&W Caboose 8304 in College Station, Texas, of all places:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=104054

EH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:21 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
eehiv wrote:
NYO&W Caboose 8304 in College Station, Texas, of all places:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=104054

EH

Interesting photo, Ernie. Steve Lynch's LIRR site has the same car listed as being in Santa Monica, CA. (The caboose had a second life as LIRR 70 from 1957 to 1963.)

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcabNYOW.htm

When did it make the move to TX?

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 pm 

The people who have it in Texas bought it from Santa Monica and shipped it to Texas, as I remember them telling me. I believe that happened in 2005 or 2006 or so. EH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:21 pm 

crij wrote:
Andrew,

Did anyone install new copper crush washers under the heads? This was the problem with our 44 Tonner, previous owner was reusing the old copper washers and just trying to fix it with RTV. IIRC on the D17000 there are O-Rings between the liner and the block, the lower o-rings may have dried out.

We replaced the copper washers and it solved the problem on one engine (water was showing up in the oil and oil was showing up in the cooling water), oil is still showing in the sight glass on the second engine but hasn't increased (but we don't use that engine much) so we are assuming there is a little oil trapped in a high gallery. We hope an engine flush will clean it out. The other possibility on ours is the water pump shaft seal may be failing as this is the only area where oil is under pressure next to water in a vacuum, all other locations the oil is under less pressure then the neighboring water (we have the 2nd generation water pumps, first generation pumps had an exposed layshaft).

Rich Cizik
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org

]

Brass ferrules and seals were replaced on the #1 engine. This was the Permatex special. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:37 pm 

Reading T1 2124 wrote:
I was wondering if any of you guys know anything that is in need of a home.

I was going to suggest a surviving O&W NW-2 (#130) at Ayer, MA: http://nyow.org/nyow_130.html

But according to this report it was scrapped in 2011: http://newenglanddepot.blogspot.com/201 ... apped.html

I wonder how that one got away?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:46 pm 

That's sad to hear. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm 

rock island lines wrote:
I wonder how that one got away?

Here's another photo of the unit: NEMCO 1000, photographed by Paolo Roffo, February 15, 2010.

Note the mangled steps and unusual cab door.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 pm 

NYO&W 101, a 44 toner and their first diesel locomotive, was sold to the Salt Lake Garfield and Western as their D.S.2, leased to a contractor, where it broke a crank shaft. It is now displayed indoors a the Western Railway Musuem, Rio Vista Junction, CA. It keeps company at the Musuem with two other 44 toners, Visalia Electric 502, operational, and Sacramento Northern 146, currently being overhauled. The situation is some what unique in that all three locomotives are equipped for MU operation. Maybe someday...