It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lousisana Cyprus Lumber Company #2 parts up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm 

Moderators please know I am not posting this for MC or advertise for the auction MC is having. I am posting this so perspective bidders know what is still with the locomotive and what they would be getting into. I am doing this for the locomotive and it's survival. I have no say or hand in the auction and would be happy to try and answer any questions I can about the surviving parts

A few disclaimers first off. In previous posts I have stated I did not know if the throttle was in the boiler. It is not, it is intact on one of the skids. Also stated the pistons and rods were MIA. I cannot verify it one way or another. When I looked for them I could not find them. Was told they were originally at MC. Without inventorying the parts and spreading them out I cannot say they are not under the pile somewhere. One cross head in the pictures doesn't look bad, I had found one a few years ago when the parts were all in the mud that looked horrendous. I did not see that one yesterday when I took the pictures so maybe the one I found a few years back was not to this locomotive. Just saying the one in the picture didn't look that bad. I will post a few pictures and the rest in links as there are quite a few pictures and I hate to burn up space. Rods/brasses, binders, some if not all driving boxes accounted for, Eccentric straps and steam delivery pipes accounted for. Sorry no close ups of the saddle casting. Also found large yoke casting that I believe fits up into the front casting laying buried in the mud a short distance from the boiler just to the south east of the firebox maybe 25 ft or so. That needs to go with the locomotive. I will try and get it moved/marked after I confirm the part is what I think it is.

Unrelated Skip and I got one more course of jacketing on the Saginaw/Polson #2 leaving only the front course left to finish. The jacketing is not truly finished as it needs to be tightened up and the bands installed. The back head plumbing is done and the cab will be ready to go on soon. Sorry no pics on the Saginaw #2, camera was full and it is hard to take pics in thee engine house. Wouldn't of been very exciting pictures anyway.

Regards, John.

First 19 pics are of the LCLC #2 parts

Post subject: Re: Lousisana Cyprus Lumber Company #2 parts up for auction.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:01 pm 

John -

Thanks for your dedication to the survival of LCLC #2.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
"SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED"

I should show this to anyone that alleges certain other, more noted locos are "just a pile of parts now" and show them what a REAL "pile of parts" looks like....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:11 pm 

The photobucket link in the first post, according to my anti-virus suite the site attempts to push adware/malware/crapware upon connection. None of the assertions made by the crapware are true, and you needn't install anything that it is advertising.

For safety's sake, I've removed the link from the post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:45 pm 

So... How exactly did the locomotive end up in that state?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:32 am 

How did this locomotive end up in this state?

The mechanical state of the locomotive was worn and not running anymore by about 1970. It had many ills. About mid 1970s a member who was a very talented tool and die maker who had his own shop in the Milw, Wi area took it on as a project. He knew the locomotive was entirely worn out and wanted to redo the whole thing. He knew it was going to have to be torn down almost to the last nut and bolt. Everything on this locomotive was broke or worn pretty bad. So he took it apart, inventoried the parts. He had donors lined up and knew people in industry he felt he could get to assist, probably more with materials than money? He was willing to do what it took. He had most of the running gear at his shop. I was out of the picture shortly after he moved the parts and I heard his shop went belly up or something like that and the parts had to come back or we would loose them. Not sure what year this was? They came back in a pile in the mud. MC left the parts in a pile in the mud until an extension of the caboose track went in and the parts were in the way. Then they were finally moved out of the mud and put on skids a few years ago. Actually I am pleasantly surprised at how many of the parts remain. I tried to get permission to sand blast, paint, inventory the parts and put under cover. Didn't happen but eventually the parts were picked up and taken out of the mud. That was the best thing that happened to this locomotive in many years. I find the whole thing very distasteful and embarrassing, but it wasn't the first locomotive or the last to be near destroyed by good intentions by well meaning museums or people. Nobody intentionally set out for this to happen, but it did happen and it is sad. The road to hell is truly paved with good intentions, the #2 is a good example of this. Sadder still is this will happen again and again. Stove is hot, stove is hot, stove is hot..............Don't bother trying to warn people either or you will be labeled a mean spirited person. Go a head touch the stove I want to hear it again!

As far as it being a parts kit, and it truly is, the Saginaw/Polson #2 was close to being a parts kit and is almost ready to start breaking in. The Montreal #1 is pretty stripped down as well. If the frame was working on either of these two locomotives the frame rails would of been coming off I would think. It is just nuts and bolts. Granted it would take a good steam mechanic to put it back and get it running but it is still doable. It only takes money, time and skill. Ha! I think Dave should buy it and put it at the end of his driveway, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Cheers, John.