It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J&L Porter No. 62 in Mead, CO?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:09 am 

Steamlocomotive.info lists Jones & Laughlin Steel No. 62 as being located in Mead, Colorado. It would be the sister of our 23" gauge Porter 0-4-0T.

Can anyone confirm that it is there? Who owns it? I would be very interested in contacting the owner of the locomotive.

Post subject: Re: J&L Porter No. 62 in Mead, CO?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 am 

Rick,

I'll see what I can find out. I think I may know the person that owns her, but I haven't talked to him for 10 years or so, and I would have to get permission before posting the information.

Take Care & WORK SAFE

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 am 

Hot Metal wrote:
Steamlocomotive.info lists Jones & Laughlin Steel No. 62 as being located in Mead, Colorado. It would be the sister of our 23" gauge Porter 0-4-0T.

Can anyone confirm that it is there? Who owns it? I would be very interested in contacting the owner of the locomotive.

Rick,

Back in the fall of 2013, I was out on a track rebuild project after the northern Colorado flooding. I took a day to drive up the GWR to scope out the flood damage in Milliken and Johnstown, CO areas, and I came across a bunch of stored standard gage passenger and freight equipment on a siding in Mead. I stopped and took a bunch of photos, but I was more interested in the drop bottom gon and molasses tank cars.

There was a wood-sided CB&Q caboose sitting on blocks inside a fenced area near the siding, but I did not notice any narrow gage equipment. If I had seen it, undoubtedly I would have snapped a photograph.

Digging through my pictures just now, most of the shots are of the rail equipment taken from the east side, and I suppose there is a possiblity that the conex box I see behind some of the tank cars might hold a 23' gage Porter inside... I guess. I just didn't notice it out in the open... if I had, I would have got the photo.

Wish I could have helped... it's not every day you hear someone mention Mead, Colorado.

There are a couple Ag-related businesses right there, you might be able to cold call, poking around asking if they might know who owns that Q caboose... and it may go from there. Or... search the threads here for when I posted the pictures of the Beet Gons... someone had mentioned that he was the guy that painted that gon 20 years ago (or whatever). He might know about this locomotive.

Rod Whitehead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 pm 

If I have the story straight, the 62 was one of four of these engines in the scrap heap at Crown Metal Works. They were going to cut them up, but when they shut down it was decided to spare them. She sat outside a machine shop in downtown Boulder, Colorado for years, and was adopted again when this place closed.

I have a call in to the owner now, and will tell you what I can, when I can.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:04 pm 

I swear, I sure can't figure out if the PM I've tried to send actually got sent, or not. If you didn't get the information you requested, please email me: virtuoso@netecin.net or call: (303) 822-8802

We'll fix you up.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:42 pm 

Thanks! I now have someone to call about that 62. I appreciate it.