It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: RJ Corman 2-10-2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 pm 

Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:30 pm
Posts: 97
Location: Illinois
Hi,

Just now on my Instagram page, somebody reported that the RJ Corman-owned Chinese QJ at Lexington, KY has been scrapped. Can anyone confirm this?

Thomas Dyrek

_________________
Railroad station historian


Last edited by Trainkid456 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 356
The last news story I could find on it was from Midway KY, where RJ Corman was trying to have it placed in a park and was asking for money from local government last year:

http://midwayky.blogspot.com/search?q=steam+engine

I know it was out of tube time, but it doesn't really make sense that they would scrap it, the running gear, frame etc. were only 30 years old or so. Why not sell it to some operation that doesn't care about authenticity and is trying to attract "daisy pickers"? But I am not really up on the economics of pulling that off.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 16
Saw it at the shop a few days ago, still in one piece! Engine has 5 years and 5 months of tube time left. Don't know if it's for sale, make RJC an offer!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:59 am 

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 399
kbarnett wrote:
Saw it at the shop a few days ago, still in one piece! Engine has 5 years and 5 months of tube time left. Don't know if it's for sale, make RJC an offer!


Well she has 59 inch drivers and 63,235 lbf of tractive effort - not too shabby. With the longer tender she measures out at 95 foot, 10 inches.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 3749
Location: Maine
Very difficult to wrap my mind around cutting it up, just to get it gone. Certainly the RR has enough track to hold an idle locomotive of this type for an indefinite period. I suppose there would be taxes of some kind.
Some enterprise might purchase it, Americanize it, and go from there. No real gain by destroying it.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm 

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:00 pm
Posts: 45
Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:21 pm 

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:03 pm
Posts: 722
There were never really any reasonable long term plans for the RJ Corman QJ apart from RJ Corman and Henry Posner collaborating on finding the engine a home.

With Corman's passing and the local debacle over the enginehouse for display, the QJ is but a small but strange entry in modern steam restoration and operation. It was good - mostly - while it lasted.

_________________
Kelly Lynch
Vice President
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc
http://www.fwrhs.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:28 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8399
Location: Baltimore, MD
Kimball wrote:
Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?

When people want a pick-up truck, and you offer them a Peterbilt or Mack tractor.........


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 356
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Kimball wrote:
Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?

When people want a pick-up truck, and you offer them a Peterbilt or Mack tractor.........

I am sure someone here could do the numbers in their head in a second about how many passengers it would take to break even with the QJ compared to say Flagg Coal #75. But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 8399
Location: Baltimore, MD
The only currently running tourist railroad that could even possibly make an economic and/or horsepower case for a QJ would be the Grand Canyon Railway, and they have some tight wyes at both ends....... and F40PH's that are easier on the track......


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 3054
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
The only currently running tourist railroad that could even possibly make an economic and/or horsepower case for a QJ would be the Grand Canyon Railway, and they have some tight wyes at both ends....... and F40PH's that are easier on the track......


And Western Maryland Scenic, except they have their hands full with the 1309.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 3749
Location: Maine
Modify the living daylights out it and make it fit whatever lost configuration you wish.
That's a long wheel-base.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 399
PMC wrote:
But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.


Over 90 foot with that tender so it can't use the turntable at SNHS. And the DL can't run steam excursions on their own.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 pm 

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:10 am
Posts: 2332
PMC wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Kimball wrote:
Why the loss of interest in it, after all the trouble they went to bring them over?

When people want a pick-up truck, and you offer them a Peterbilt or Mack tractor.........

I am sure someone here could do the numbers in their head in a second about how many passengers it would take to break even with the QJ compared to say Flagg Coal #75. But if you had a place with enough riders and a tough grade (D-L south of Scranton?) it (edit: could possibly, I'm not positive)make sense I think.



Could you imagine the freak out from the “Steamtown has too many Canadian locomotives crew” if a Chinese locomotive showed up in Scranton? Brains would melt.

Rob

_________________
The long memory is the most radical idea in this country. It is the loss of that long memory which deprives our people of that connective flow of thoughts and events that clarifies our vision, not of where we're going, but where we want to go. B. Phillips


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RJ Corman 2-10-2 Scrapped?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:35 am 

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am
Posts: 399
robertjohndavis wrote:

Could you imagine the freak out from the “Steamtown has too many Canadian locomotives crew” if a Chinese locomotive showed up in Scranton? Brains would melt.

Rob


On it's way to "Moscow," no less. ha ha


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Chris Salmonson, patentable, rjenkins, TieGang and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: