It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg Leases ME/M&E GP9?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:21 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Rumor of the Day:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 116&nseq=1

Loco is Maine Eastern GP9 764, formerly Morristown & Erie (operators of Maine Eastern), Antrak 764, nee-UP 185, built April 1954.

Caption:
Quote:
A visitor from Maine is spending some time at NJ Transit's MMC for some wheel work. Once the work is complete this locomotive will be sent to its new lease assignment at Strasburg since the Morristown & Erie's operation in Maine has come to an end. There is a good chance this geeps interesting paint scheme will not last long once it returns home.

Post subject: Re: Strasburg Leases ME/M&E GP9?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:46 am 

Well,Its not a rumor,764 will fill in while 8618 gets new wheels and power assemblies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 pm 

Short-term lease at Strasburg, or a long-term lease?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:39 pm 

More fun if they could've gotten something across the street!

Incidentally - what ever happened to the diesel (PRR GP9 7006) behind the Conrail unit?

/Mitch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:33 pm 

The PRR/Conrail GP-30 has a bad ground somewhere and won't move unless the ground relay is plugged. It was that way when it left Conrail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:57 pm 

Just by chance, I spotted this unit in the layover yard at Harrison (just East of Newark, NJ) Saturday afternoon. I wonder of AMTK is going to spirit it down the NEC and H'burg line as part of an equipment or MoW move.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm 

G. W. Laepple wrote:
The PRR/Conrail GP-30 has a bad ground somewhere and won't move unless the ground relay is plugged. It was that way when it left Conrail.

The reverser supposedly is flawed causing the locomotive to only operate forward according to a post from their Facebook page. Still I find it quite dubious that they couldn't have taken an existing diesel from the RMPA's yard to help out a bit. Perhaps MCRR 701 would be a good contender considering the exceptional condition of its 251 and relatively modern control systems. Alas I must realize the museum has a strict policy of "preserving original fabric" so I highly doubt that'd happen anyway.

Cameron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 pm 

Questions of artifact care aside, when was MCRR 701 last started and operated? When was M&E 764 last started and operated? When did MCRR 701 last have a current blue card? When did M&E 764 last have a current blue card?

Not as easy as you might think, to "just go across the street".

SRC has solved their short-term diesel locomotive problem in the best professional way.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:17 am 

There are STEAM engines just across the street from Strasburg, as well. In fact, two of them even used to pull trains for the Strasburg! And they went back to the museum because they needed too much work, just like borrowing a diesel from the museum. Strasburg made a good call, leasing a running unit from M&E.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:52 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
Questions of artifact care aside, when was MCRR 701 last started and operated? When was M&E 764 last started and operated? When did MCRR 701 last have a current blue card? When did M&E 764 last have a current blue card?

Not as easy as you might think, to "just go across the street".

SRC has solved their short-term diesel locomotive problem in the best professional way.

Howard P.

The #701 was last blue carded in the fall of 1989 pending its sudden retirement and was delivered to the RMPA in top-notch operating condition. The engine had recently been given the MCRR's last paint scheme and was at the time one of their only two diesels in service. While agreeably the Geep is a good business decision great efficiency and easy maintenance nevertheless but for current operating practices I think the Alco might actually be worth the cost. EMD no longer manufactures parts for the 567 line let alone spares for any surviving units using them. FM does in fact still produce the 251F, the prime mover currently installed in the 701. Now I will say EDM poses a good point as to the RMPA ever agreeing on such a case. Not trying to divert from the main topic both the 7002 and 1223 were due for a firebox re-build come the lease expiration. Strasburg wanted to continue using the pair but PA refused on grounds of harming once again their "original fabric". That would be a potential show stopper on restoring any of their collection thus making a plan to operation non-feasible indefinitely.

Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:34 pm 

Is this about M&E GP9 or whats at the museum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:20 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Cameron Wolk wrote:
EMD no longer manufactures parts for the 567 line let alone spares for any surviving units using them. FM does in fact still produce the 251F, the prime mover currently installed in the 701.

The issue is NOT whether the original manufacturer still makes parts. The issue is whether one (in this case, the Morristown & Erie and/or Strasburg) can still obtain parts.

It's the same with cars and trucks. The company that (in theory) made my Saturn (well, GM, but that's another matter) no longer exists, but I can find seven different suppliers for a timing chain and timing gear rebuild kit, as well as kits to rebuild a known flaw in the coolant system, and the oil filter happens to be interchangeable with the MG Midget--another car by a maker for which there are plenty of aftermarket parts suppliers 35 years after the original British Leyland "demise" of the marque. I'm pretty sure I can even go out and buy a fully rebuilt MG Midget engine ready for installation, albeit at a steep price (ditto the price of Alco 251F parts from FM).
(UPDATE: Yep, from $2,300 to $3,200 plus delivery.)

Decades after EMD had anything to do with covered wagons, a couple E8 owners were still able to obtain original EMD porthole windows from EMD........

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:37 am 

There are many aftermarket suppliers for 567 parts, and 251 for that matter. As ADM IV pointed out, 251 parts can be expensive; I believe the largest purchaser of 251 and F-M parts is the US government.

Many of our USCG cutters, and the 'Polar' class icebreakers, have 251 power. The 378s have F-M OPs, although they are getting phased out. (I've toured a few cutters, myself-)

Cameron, are you sure the 764 has a 567? Many 567 engines have been upgraded with 645 power assemblies, also still available from many sources. There are enough 567 and 645s around, in locomotive, marine and stationary service, that replacement parts most likely will not become an issue in your lifetime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 am 

Hi,

Concerning the "historic fabric" of the steamers, I believe that is a display only oriented museum's point of view. They do not seem to realize the number of patches and rebuilds and so forth on a steam loco occurs during its life.

I am one from the other side of the track (GRIN) that thinks operation is the best way to show a steamer off.

As one argument, would we have the Mayflower or "Old Ironsides" around today if the parts had not been replaced over the years.

When there are several steam locos of one class (For example, the K36's of the D&RGW narrow gauge), I would not be against stuffing and mounting one for museum display. I think that would be a valuable asset then.

Oh well. The railroad equipment is the property of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and so their say is the last word. I am sorry I was not able to get to Strasburg before the retirement of the two PRR steam locos.

Doug vV

P.S. I think the RRMofP is doing a excellent job.

Last edited by Dougvv on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:08 am 

A steam locomotive is in its best condition when it is running and serviceable. I fall in line with Doug and his comments regarding that.

Regarding Morristown and Erie Diesels, they have acquired the last intact Bangor and Aroostook GP9, which was intended to operate on the Maine Eastern, before the railroad dissolved. Now this is strictly an opinion, but given its historic character, I would love to see the late BAR honored by having the original paint scheme re-applied to the Geep. Would that not be preservation of a sort?