It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CP F7/FP9 roll call?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:49 pm 

Roll call of all surviving authentic CP F units. Authentic in not being ex CN/CNW, etc.

I will start with the two I know about right now

CP F7B 1019-NS Altoona PA
CP F7B 1018 NRE Illinois

I realize these two B units are in rough shape and at least one is engine less. They are the last two CP F unit B's surviving aren't they?

Robert

Post subject: Re: CP F7/FP9 roll call?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:55 pm 

1019 won't be too long for the world unfortunately. Sold to a scrapper recently with the other 2 F7A units, as surplus by NS. Trying to get more information as it becomes available.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:17 pm 

It's a shame NS did not sell it back to NRE. They survived through the last decade or so at NRE only to be bought and then resold for scrap.

I find it hard that in this day and age we are still scrapping these F units. Soon there won't be anymore of them available for modernization rebuilds for class 1's seeking classic streamlined power.

NS being a preservation oriented line all I can say is shame on them.

Atleast list them on Ozark Mountain Railcar for a while to see if anyone else is interested in them.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:13 pm 

NS is "business oriented", it's not a museum or preservation entity. "Shame on them"?? Please think more carefully next time you make a statement like that. NS is far more "preservation-friendly" than many railroads (large and small)-- did you forget about 611, 4501, 630, 765, heritage diesel units, making "Streamliners at Spencer" happen, and a bunch of other things, such as their support of preservation railroading in Roanoke?

Think before you post. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

There are many neglected F and E units around; the ones at Altoona are NS property to do with as they see fit.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:02 pm 

Howard, You are correct. I am not much of a steam fan and don't keep up with whats going in the steam world. However, NS should also be quite aware of the how rare these engines are becoming. F unit B's are becoming harder to find these days. I would have thought NS would have been interested in selling the engine back to NRE.

I am biased on this one because I am long time Canadian Pacific fan. These being the last two CP B units or dang close to it adds a bit more to my frustration with NS and their decisions.

It could be said that frustration could be shown towards CP for not choosing these two units for rebuild and that would be a correct argument as well.

I know we don't know how the assessment of the units went either. They very well could be not worth the effort to re-activate either. They did spend their last years as hump power units.

Please don't forget either that I am not a fan of big corporations of any kind. They are all mega million dollar entities that are more concerned with their share holders and their bottom lines. All in the name of the all mighty dollar.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm 

Do you know whether or not NRE wanted to buy them back?

Or would do anything with them besides scrap them if they did buy them back?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:39 pm 

If I can remember correctly there are units remaining,

CP FP7 #1400

CP FP7 #1409

CP FP7 #4075

CP FP7 #1418

CP FP7 #1424

CP FP7 #4038

CP FP7 #4069

CP FP7 #4103

CP F7B #4459

CP F7B #1018

CP F7B #1019

CP F9B #1900 Ex-CN

CP FP9 #1401 Ex-CN

CP FP9 #4106 Ex-CN

CP FP9 #4109 Ex-CN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:08 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Excuse me.

Before we go though YET ANOTHER round of "condemning" Norfolk Southern for supposedly "scrapping" or "selling for scrap" the three "spare" F-units they acquired a while back, please review this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39609

Thus far, no one has stated who supposedly bought these locos, is supposedly "scrapping" them, where they were listed for sale, has reported them in transit, etc. that I have seen. As near as I can tell, this "sold for scrap" report is nothing more than a rumor. I can't prove a negative, but as the saying goes among scientists (but not, often enough, journalists): "Claims require proof. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 pm 

Ok, Gotta ask? Since the current active CP units are ex CN FP9 units what ever happened to the CP 1401 A unit, original 1900, and 1901 These two were B units? The CP replaced this trio with the current CN rebuilds.

Any of the AMT ex CP F units survive?

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:29 am 

If these units are so worthy of preservation, why doesn't someone find out who the supposed scrapper is and offer to buy them for more than they paid? I've seen a few instances where deals were made because the scrapper made more money and didn't have to do the work....