It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UP 2564 at Orange Empire RR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:39 pm 

The OERM has alot on their plate at this time, but after seeing pictures of the 2564 I got curious as to the plan for this veteran mikado. I noticed they stabilized the ol girl and sounds like they eventually want to restore her, but what did the mechanical inspection find? It would be nice to see a UP mike under steam.

Josh

Post subject: Re: UP 2564 at Orange Empire RR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:52 pm 

JayZee,
i have very much doubt that the 2564 will ever steam again. I have visited the museum and they just do not have what it takes to do the job.

On the positive side; they are working on the narrow gauge locomotive from the Ward Kimball collection. It is much more in the size of things that they can do.

The Emma Nevada has a facebook.com page and information on their main web site.

ted66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 pm 

The Nevada Central #2 (aka Emma Nevada) is being worked on by a group separate from the crew that maintains the standard gauge 2-6-2. The NC#2 crew is very enthusiastic and dedicated to accomplishing the project.

The UP MacArthur (2-8-2) needs an dedicated shop facility and additional funds to accomplish the necessary refurbishing. It would be a nice locomotive to have available and most more representative than the logging locomotive. A dedicated crew leader and a dedicated fund raiser are what is needed to make things happen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:30 am 

Just my opinion, but what's especially interesting about this machine is that it received a disc main driver during its lifetime. UP did this with many of their 2-8-2s, while SP & WP never tried it at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:47 am 

Is it true that the Chloe is being restored to operation? And if so, will it need to be brought up to FRA specs?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:27 am 

As far as Chloe, I would say that unless the proposed 3' gauge line crosses a public road that it would only have to meet the state requirements, much like the Disney and Knotts locomotives. As I recall it was last operated just before Ward's property was put on the market, much more recently than the Emma Nevada was.