It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Train identification
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 am 

Hi,

This post probably fits better in the railfanning section. I had a system crash and can not find my way back to the Railfanning section. Sorry about that.

This fictionlized version of facts about WWII come from W. E, B Griffin.

The scan attached discusses the routing of a Major in the USMC and his rail routing to San Diego in early 1942.

I know of the 20th Century Limited and the book describes the Lark, but I do not recall the vista dome trans running between Chicago and LA and which railroad(s) had them.

Can anyone help me tith the train names and the railroad(s) operating them?

Thanks.

Doug vV

Attachments:
The Corp Book II Call to arms.JPG
The Corp Book II Call to arms.JPG [ 64.68 KiB | Viewed 6074 times ]

Post subject: Re: Train identification
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:44 am 

Even this New Yorker knows the "Lark" was an overnight Southern Pacific LA-SF train, and went nowhere near San Diego.

And no dome cars until 1945 (CB&Q).

Half-baked research by fiction writers. I'm sure the USMC stuff is accurate, though.

Howard P.
Nit-Pick, Conn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 am 

Pffft, Griffon messed up.

There could be several routes from Chicago to Los Angeles on limiteds with observation cars. The most likely choice, based on this description, would be the Super Chief (following a Parmalee Transfer taxi ride from LaSalle Street Station to Dearborn Station), followed by a transfer in LA to another Santa Fe train running down the Surf Line to San Diego.

But I don't think that would be the Lark. As far as I know, that was an overnight Southern Pacific train from Los Angeles to San Francisco, and was noted for a grey paint scheme similar to that of NYC's !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lark_(train)

http://www.thecoachyard.com/Pages/Equipment/Lark.html

http://coastdaylight.com/mission.html

The principle train or train series on the Surf Line would have been the San Diegans, which were coach trains.

http://ctr.trains.com/~/media/Files/PDF ... 201940.pdf

The Southern Pacific did get into San Diego--but in this time period, it would have been via the San Diego & Eastern, not exactly a railroad that would host a streamliner (and SD&E didn't go to LA, either).

I am reminded of an otherwise excellent movie, called "Narrow Margin" (1952), which has a route on a fictional "Central Pacific" that is 100% Santa Fe--but footage of SP trains fills the movie!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:39 am 

In recent years, many people have taken to the mistaken practice of calling dome cars observation cars. This is a redefinition of an old word, and, considering the fact that dome cars weren't invented until after WWII, is an anachronism in this piece. An observation car during WWII was a rear end car with provisions for rear-facing panoramic views. Trains normally did not carry observation "cars". They normally carried only one observation "car" because trains have only one rear end. I know: that may be shocking to some.

The Lark ran north of Los Angeles on the Southern Pacific. It did not venture onto Santa Fe rails from Los Angeles to San Diego.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:12 pm 

Tom Davidson wrote:
In recent years, many people have taken to the mistaken practice of calling dome cars observation cars.Tom

I've seen this happening too. I figure it has something to do with fewer and fewer rail buffs actually having personal experience with streamliner cars, and so they fail to correctly differentiate between the two.

Just to make things more confusing, some cars were dome cars and observation cars: Image

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8 ... 702808.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:51 pm 

weekendrailroader wrote:
Just to make things more confusing, some cars were dome cars and observation cars

And Silver Solarium also has sleeping accommodations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 pm 

"The Southern Pacific did get into San Diego--but in this time period, it would have been via the San Diego & Eastern, not exactly a railroad that would host a streamliner (and SD&E didn't go to LA, either)."

Minor nit-pick: The SP-owned line to San Diego was the SD&AE - San Diego & Arizona Eastern. Originally it was the San Diego & Arizona, SD&A, when built by John Spreckels, the sugar magnate, in partnership with the SP. Spreckels died in about 1928, and SP took over total ownership in about 1932, and added "Eastern" to the name. SD&A(E) connected with the SP proper in the El Centro area. SD&AE eastward trains connected with eastward SP trains at Niland, CA, or Yuma, AZ, via the interCaliforna RR. The reverse for westward trains. But no connections LA to San Diego, or the other way. SD&AE passenger service discontinued in 1951.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:05 pm 

Actually, the Reading Company's "Crusader", clad in Stainless Steel, did have 2 observation cars, 1 at each end, so the cars wouldn't have to be turned at each terminal.

When I rode Texas Limited between Houston and Dallas 4/1/93, they shortened the consist by cutting off the rear cars for trips with low ridership, and put the Observation Car passengers in the Dome Coach. (The closed Observation Car that was left behind didn't have a dome.)