It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sound Footage of Ex WMSRR 100 and WMSRR and Sierra 36!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm 

It has been so long since I have heard the little EX SMVRR 100 and her somewhat "lame"
exhaust. In the cab she always felt like she was "Dancing up the Hill" rather than blasting up the hill. But the 36 the beautiful brute she was had the "Sierra square exhaust"Not to play favorites but the 100 was always my favorite,guess it was because
of it being my dads engine and that "desert five chime that still send "chills up my spine".
That footage I was in most of, 1979 , 1980 and the only double header with the ex S.P.
1744 . Kind of like matching up" Laurl and Hardy" in a bike race! I was fireman in some
of the footage of the team up of the 36 on the point and the 100 following up something that Reed never did. He liked the 100 on the "Head End" at Mc Nary. I was conductor on
100s last double header in 1981. Reed Hatch is in some of the footage. He many times wanted to be on the double headers. Craig Drury General Manager and Doug Brown
was also in several shots. He is one of only "old heads" left from almost forty years
ago at Heber now the Heber Valley Railroad. Oh How much has changed.But I sure do
miss " the old gals ; 36 and 100! What GREAT FOOTAGE!!

Post subject: Re: New Sound Footage of Ex WMSRR 100 and WMSRR and Sierra 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 pm 

Here's the footage: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6CgdaZXcM0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
For the many that may be confused by now:

The "WMSRR" in this title is the White Mountains Scenic RR of McNary, Arizona, run on part of the Apache RR in the 1970s, not the Western Md. Scenic RR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 pm 

Speaking of the White Mountains Scenic RR, does anybody have info on what passenger cars were used on the line? Specifically, I know of at least 3 ex-MKT coaches that were used: #642, #644, and a third as-of-yet-unidentified car. The #642 and #644 are now at the California State RR Museum and used on the Sacramento Southern, while the third coach is now in Colfax, CA, and painted as SP #1865 with a door cut into the side at the car's mid-point. The car in Colfax was moved there sometime in the late 1970's and the #642 and #644 were donated to CSRM by the Steward Family Trust in 2001-2002.

The MKT passenger car diagram folio of 1953 shows that #642 and #644 both had 92 seats; 30 of those seats were in a separated men's (smoking) end of the car. The car in Colfax has the same external features/window arrangement as the #642, so it's most likely from the same group of coaches.

Here are links to 2 photos I took back in 2009, one of the car in Colfax and the other of #642 at CSRM

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:03 am 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Speaking of the White Mountains Scenic RR, does anybody have info on what passenger cars were used on the line?

Randolph Kean's 1973 railfan's guidebook indicates five MKT heavyweights, numbers 641-645.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:07 am 

Thanks, Alan, for the info! Now the question is, which car (#641, #643, or #645) is in Colfax, and what happened to the 2 that are unaccounted for?

Have a Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the tube link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i6CgdaZXcM0 Jeff. Never been on that line and quite fascinated by some of those grades. The #100 is one of my favs too though never saw her in real life. And the #36 certainly sounded much healthier. I forgot how pretty that part of the country is or used to be. Used to cut through that area when I drove west coast years ago, I-15 was not completed yet.

Regards, John.