It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 pm 

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:57 am
Posts: 2338
Location: Faulkland, Delaware
I've locked the previous 1309 thread because it has run its useful life. Please post news, questions, discussions, and other items related to 1309 here. Please start a new topic if you want to debate the shade of paint, size of lettering, font, number chimes the whistle should have, merits of whitewalls on the drivers, or if the number plate should have red or black background.

With that being said please have a look at the update from Trains Magazine here: http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/observation- ... pdate.aspx

I've been a big fan of WMSR for a decades, I've bought many tickets to ride over the years including cab ride. I've also attended a number of photo charters. Each time I come to Cumberland I stay for two nights at a decent hotel and eat at non-chain restaurants. I'm pretty sure this is exactly why they have the railroad there in the first place.

Cumberland is a great city and if you've not been I suggest making a ride behind 1309 a priority in 2017.

_________________
Tom Gears
Wilmington, DE

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:31 am 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 1773
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow. I hope there is a really good technical report on the restoration published. Lots of interesting work done.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet
Institut for Systemer, Produktion, og Ledelse


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 1877
it could do some serious heavy mainline work if they woulda coulda shoulda with all that work. Kudos to the WMRS crew.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:23 am
Posts: 151
Location: Sheboygan County, Wisconsin
I appreciate the thoughtful comments just written and also the write-up in TRAINS, a lot of specifics noted there.
This will at least give myself and others some idea of how to plan vacations this year.
Thank you.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm
Posts: 205
The slide repairs still have not been completed to allow the WMSR to reach Frostburg again. Allegany County just closed on a 15 year, 9 million dollar loan with Key Bank this past Commission meeting with 1 million dollars of the proceeds earmarked for the Slide Repairs.

Also the last time I was in Frostburg, it appears the extension of the run around track at the depot has yet to be started.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 am
Posts: 50
I greatly appreciate any progress reports we can get. I also have to tip my hat to all of those fine folks who have been involved in this process from ideation to now. A quote in the Trains article struck a chord with me. I remember my only visit to the B & O museum way back in 1989 and looking at the 1604 in the mall, and the 1309 just down the track from it. Thinking if ever would ever see the day where they had a chance to run again. Thanks for making this come to reality!

Steve


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:10 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:34 pm
Posts: 554
Truly an inspiring restoration and professional approach. The excitement builds. This may have to be a destination from what very little I know of this area think a person could spend a few days to a week in the area and come away with a great vacation. Thanks for the trains link.

Regards, John.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 2771
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
John Risley wrote:
Truly an inspiring restoration and professional approach. The excitement builds. This may have to be a destination from what very little I know of this area think a person could spend a few days to a week in the area and come away with a great vacation. Thanks for the trains link.

Regards, John.


Indeed, there is much in the Cumberland area. Right in Cumberland are some amazing old houses and the far west end of the C&O Canal. Less than an hour away in Romney, W.Va. is the Potomac Eagle tourist train, and of course there is all the railroad action in Cumberland itself on CSX.

For the rail enthusiast, Cumberland is also not too far from Altoona and perhaps an hour and a half from Orbisonia. The East Broad Top, as is well known, is not currently operational, but you can still walk around a take a look, and the Shade Gap Electric Railway (the trolley line there) is running. . .still worth a visit if you are in the area.

And only an hour and a half away is Martinsburg, W.Va. (1866 roundhouse under restoration), and about another half hour away is Harpers Ferry. Both Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry have Amtrak service (as does Cumberland), and they both also have commuter trains running to Washington, DC.

If you are into this sort of thing, you can even visit the grave of O. Winston Link in a cemetery in Shepherdstown, W.Va., which is between Martinsburg and Sharpsburg--the latter the site of Antietam Battlefield.

And this only touches the surface of things a history minded person might want to see.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 191
Washout plugs delivered, very neat (from a facebook open group):

https://www.facebook.com/Wmsrsteam/post ... 0631447970


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:07 pm
Posts: 158
J3a-614 wrote:
John Risley wrote:
Truly an inspiring restoration and professional approach. The excitement builds. This may have to be a destination from what very little I know of this area think a person could spend a few days to a week in the area and come away with a great vacation. Thanks for the trains link.

Regards, John.


Indeed, there is much in the Cumberland area. Right in Cumberland are some amazing old houses and the far west end of the C&O Canal. Less than an hour away in Romney, W.Va. is the Potomac Eagle tourist train, and of course there is all the railroad action in Cumberland itself on CSX.

For the rail enthusiast, Cumberland is also not too far from Altoona and perhaps an hour and a half from Orbisonia. The East Broad Top, as is well known, is not currently operational, but you can still walk around a take a look, and the Shade Gap Electric Railway (the trolley line there) is running. . .still worth a visit if you are in the area.

And only an hour and a half away is Martinsburg, W.Va. (1866 roundhouse under restoration), and about another half hour away is Harpers Ferry. Both Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry have Amtrak service (as does Cumberland), and they both also have commuter trains running to Washington, DC.

If you are into this sort of thing, you can even visit the grave of O. Winston Link in a cemetery in Shepherdstown, W.Va., which is between Martinsburg and Sharpsburg--the latter the site of Antietam Battlefield.

And this only touches the surface of things a history minded person might want to see.


I would add the Everett Railroad to the list. It's just over 60 miles away at Hollidaysburg, PA, about an hour's drive. That's where Alan Maples operates his beautiful little 2-6-0 number 11.

Tom


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 pm 

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Posts: 370
Location: Bowie, MD
What a great report. A few years ago when my car broke down in the museum parking lot, I spent three enforced hours examining 1309 while waiting for the tow truck. At the time, other than the amount of rust and debris that had built up, the most striking issue was the cut huge steam feed pipe that runs between the engines if not because it was just a large and custom part. Certainly a part regularly made/repaired during steam locomotive rebuilds these days. I would guess this would need to be in place for them to wheel the locomotive.

As part of that experience, I developed an interest in the locomotive and always wondered how it would sound starting up and pulling hard. Never figured it would really happen!

Bob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 2771
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
Tom Davidson wrote:
I would add the Everett Railroad to the list. It's just over 60 miles away at Hollidaysburg, PA, about an hour's drive. That's where Alan Maples operates his beautiful little 2-6-0 number 11.

Tom


Thank you for that addition--I didn't realize that operation was that close to Cumberland, and to me (Martinsburg)!

bbunge wrote:
As part of that experience, I developed an interest in the locomotive and always wondered how it would sound starting up and pulling hard. Never figured it would really happen!

Bob


If you get the opportunity, acquire or borrow a copy of O. Winston Link's "Sounds of Steam Railroading," "Thunder on Blue Ridge," and/or "2nd Pidgeon and the Mocking Bird." All of these have several sequences featuring Y-class compound 2-8-8-2s, with at least one starting and transition (simple to compound) sequence.

As to describing what you are likely to hear, in simple a true Mallet sounds like a simple Mallet (i.e., N&W 1218 or UP 3985) on steroids (heavy exhaust from the low pressure cylinders working on high-pressure steam). The recordings I own have the transition sounding loud and blurred, and then in compound the engines sound like a mushy but loud two cylinder engine (whuff, whuff, whuff, . . .), though not quite as mushy as a saturated locomotive.

If you are standing trackside as such a locomotive goes by, you'll hear two sets of machinery (rod) noises, like a simple articulated. The best way to describe them might be something like "clunk-a-clunk, clunk-a clunk, clunk-a-clunk," vs. the "clunk-a, clunk-a, clunk-a" of a two cylinder engine.

One of several sequences recorded from a caboose coupled ahead of the pusher on "Thunder on Blue Ridge" has the engine transition to compound--and the low pressure cylinders are a bit out of square, almost a comical variant of "I think I can, I think I can. . ."

There are a couple of Mallet tank loggers around (Clover Valley No. 4 at Niles Canyon, and Black Hills Central No. 110) that should sound similar, but I couldn't find anything like a YouTube video with a good sounding starting sequence in it.

Like you, I'm looking forward to hearing all this live, and if WMSR uses the right whistle, you'll likely hear what is the most haunting hooter you ever heard. . .one that would be perfect for a "ghost train" at Halloween!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:58 pm
Posts: 1127
Location: Chicago USA
Just to needle (-scale) TRAINS, shouldn't "tri-cocks" be "try-cocks" ?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 7979
Location: Baltimore, MD
It's been reported in local (Baltimore and Union Bridge) rail historian circles that the WMSR has approached the Western Md. Ry. Historical Society about borrowing certain pieces of locomotive hardware to install or reproduce for use on the soon-to-run 1309--as they previously did with 734.

I didn't ask too much, but I trust the sources. Read into it what you will.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WMRS former C&O 1309 Restoration / Progress
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm
Posts: 107
filmteknik wrote:
Just to needle (-scale) TRAINS, shouldn't "tri-cocks" be "try-cocks" ?

Not neccesarily.....there are usually three of them. I would prefer test cocks myself.
Keith


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], EWrice, Google [Bot], PennsyPride94, SteamEnthusiast4000, Yahoo [Bot] and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: