It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engineer for an hour programs ?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:59 pm 

Our museum is considering starting an "Engineer For An Hour" program. A question came up as to whether the paying participants were required to be members of the museum (either before or as part of their "fee" for learning to operate the locomotive) thus being "covered" under the museums insurance coverage. Can those museums who have such a program in effect please advise?

Thanks!

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Engineer for an hour programs ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:08 am 

We don't have such a program, but we discuss it every year. Perhaps someday we will do this. However, our membership fees are so small ($10/yr), we would probably include membership with any Engineer for an hour. I base this on the probability of charging quite a bit for such a program. The overhead to fire up and run a train necessitate charging at least $100, maybe more, plus setting aside a specific day to do this, and having five or more persons scheduled to operate for an hour throughout the day. These are my thoughts on this, and not all SVRy members may agree with me.

dan

svry@attbi.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:25 pm 

This comment is provided from a participant, rather than an owner. The MSTRP 1225 operation includes your membership for a year as part of the fee. I think that is the only way to go, as the participants will be encouraged to retain their yearly membership, helping your cause, especially after a memorable experience for them. It certainly was for me, and I send my dues every year.

NYC 0-6-0
fitzrr@pioneer.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:33 pm 

>Sorry about that link to the NYC 0-6-0 in my message. It evidently was still there from my last response, a long time ago.

fitzrr@pioneer.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:05 pm 

If you don't mind, how much did the Engineer for an Hour cost? What did you get along with it (besides the membership)? Did you help hostle? Do any yard switching? How far did you run at the throttle?

thanx,

dan

svry@attbi.com