It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Strasburg 7" 33 1/3 Record
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm 

A few minutes ago, after reading these posts, I "ran a needle through" my copy of the SRC 150th anniversary record. I don't know how rare it is, but they sold at least two copies! I forgot just how good 1223 sounded at speed way back when. The song on this record is "Ride The Strasburg" that was originally recorded years earlier by the folk group "The Metropolitans". In 1968 Semaphore produced a an LP album of this same group called "Travelin'" which featured a variety of songs including "Ride The Strasburg".

Back in the day, Semaphore did a whole series of these 7" records of various steam tourist railroads and they could be found in tourist railroad gift shops for many years. Some of the other railroads included the Wanamaker Kempton & Southern, Steamtown USA, Cass (2 records with some awesome whistle recordings!), EBT, New Hope & Ivyland, and several of Strasburg. Semaphore also did some other LP albums including the official American Freedom Train Foundation album.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Last edited by Jim Robinson on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm 

I would too, unfortunately both of these events are a bit too far away for me to attend as I am in Northeastern NJ. Mr. Mitchell, if you can somehow find out the best way to contact Mr. Botto I would most appreciate it. The RRMofPA gift shop still has some Semaphore cds. The last one I purchased was "Modern Steam", a tribute to the 4-8-4, which has some really nice tracks on it including Burlington 5632, Reading T1s, and Grand Trunk Western steam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm 

Mr. Robinson, reading your reply about the various 7" records produced by Semaphore for some of the 1960's and '70's tourist lines brought to mind another lp, which does seem to be pretty rare as I have only seen 2 copies in the last 25 or so years, called "Steam in the Suburbs". It is a recording of Morris County Central 385, done in Whippany, that I believe was produced by John Terry, a noted railroad artist of that time. I saw one at a train show as a kid interested in the MCC, but unfortunately did not purchase it, and one on ebay that I unfortunately missed out on. Is anyone else familiar with this album?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:42 pm 

Yep, I have John Terry's Morris Country Central RR 7" record as well. It was recorded when the MCC was operating out of Whippany over the Morristown & Erie RR. 2-8-0 385 is the featured engine, recorded trackside and on board.

Now here's one for the rare tourist railroad record collectors... back in the early / mid 1970's, the Black River & Western RR gift shop sold a SQUARE red flexible vinyl 33 1/3 recording that featured two songs about the railroad, written and performed by someone named Robert Brush. Side One had song called "Old Number 60" and Side Two's song was called "Riding On A Railroad Train". Just music, no train sounds, but I would imagine that today this record is quite rare.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:09 pm 

Very interesting. Is the MCC ep a good quality recording?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Semaphore Records (a niche producer of railroad audio recordings for fans and souvenir shops, amazingly STILL in business in 2017!) produced at least two 7" 33 1/3 RPM records of Strasburg sounds besides this one, the first dating back to #4's operation (and including a now-impossibly-rare cut of a #4/#31 doubleheader!) around 1964-65, and a second one issued in the 1970s which included 90, 1223, and 31.

Strasburg # 4?

The infamous Reading camelback that they have there.

FYI I also have that record - and transferred those audio tracks to CD - and have said specific track with #4 and #31 starting up leaving Groff's Grove, now as an MP3 on my computer (and on my iPod). #4's whistle on that track is truly something to hear...

Thanks Jim. I thought that the reference to # 4 might have been the camelback, but I looked on the internet for a photo of it running, and could find nary a one. Thus my question.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm 

rem1028 wrote:
Very interesting. Is the MCC ep a good quality recording?

It had been a long time since I listened to it, so I just played it a moment ago. The sound is quality is very good considering the age of the record. Side One is around 10 minutes and features 7 audio tracks starting with MCC veteran Steve Hepler "calling the train" followed by trackside runbys and the runaround moves at the end of the run. Side Two was recorded from the caboose platform (next to the smokebox) on the last 5 minutes or so of the return trip to Whippany. Both sides have plenty of stack talk (plenty loud in true Baldwin tradition) and whistling for a number of crossings.

I bought my copy from MCC gift shop in 1973 for a buck fifty. Not sure what they're going for eBay these days!

Regards,
Jim Robinson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:43 pm 

Sounds nice, thanks Jim. I'll keep on looking! The posting that I missed out on had it for about $10.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm 

I have a copy of "Whistles at Cass" which I bought at a gift shop at Lost River State Park (WV) back in 1971. Oh geez who ever was quilling really had a feel for it as all I can say!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:36 pm 

Gentle Forum Members,

Mr. Botto's business card provides the following:

Semaphore
Classic Rail Recordings

Antony Alan Botto
Executive Prodcucer
P.O. Box 22304
Alexandria VA 22304

ph #1: 202-255-4043
ph #2: 703-823-0305
e-mail: sales@semaphorerecords.com

From my conversation with Antony, I believe he has all of his original Master reel to reel recordings he made over the years. His memory was "photographic" about a particular recording I was interested in from the early 1950's. We had a detailed conversation about the where and the way he made the recording in the field.

I last saw him at his table at the PRRT&HS Annual Meeting in May 2016. I've seen him many times at the TCA Eastern Division Meet at York.

Happy hunting,
Don Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am 

Thank you very much Mr. Fisher!

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:51 am 

Jim Robinson wrote:
A few minutes ago, after reading these posts, I "ran a needle through" my copy of the SRC 150th anniversary record. I don't know how rare it is, but they sold at least two copies! I forgot just how good 1223 sounded at speed way back when. The song on this record is "Ride The Strasburg" that was originally recorded years earlier by the folk group "The Metropolitans". In 1968 Semaphore produced a an LP album of this same group called "Travelin'" which featured a variety of songs including "Ride The Strasburg".

Back in the day, Semaphore did a whole series of these 7" records of various steam tourist railroads and they could be found in tourist railroad gift shops for many years. Some of the other railroads included the Wanamaker Kempton & Southern, Steamtown USA, Cass (2 records with some awesome whistle recordings!), EBT, New Hope & Ivyland, and several of Strasburg. Semaphore also did some other LP albums including the official American Freedom Train Foundation album.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Jim,

Thanks very much for the information! Yes, it is good to hear someone else also has a copy.

As others have mentioned, it's good to know that Semaphore is still around.

I wish some sort of compilation existed of the Semaphore collection, a "box set", if you will... complete with notes from Mr. Botto. I would love to hear the stories associated with each recording, and would most definitely buy a copy!

-Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm 

n2qhvRMLI wrote:
Gentle Forum Members,

As an FYI, I send an email to the above email address shortly after this post was made - and got the following in response this morning.

Attachments:
semaphore.jpg
semaphore.jpg [ 25.75 KiB | Viewed 6705 times ]

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
n2qhvRMLI wrote:
Gentle Forum Members,

As an FYI, I send an email to the above email address shortly after this post was made - and got the following in response this morning.

Plus, as it turns out, semaphorerecords.com does not exist anymore, so that email address listed is no longer valid.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm 

Strasburg should reissue. Vinyl is popular again. It's even outselling digital music streaming. Again.

The Semaphore Records domain name expires March 16. It is still in original ownership. The expiry being within one year suggests that the owner likes to renew a year at a time. It hasn't gone to the domain jackers yet. We'll know in a month or so if it's renewed.