It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picture Your Train Here
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:13 pm 

That was the caption on what appears to be a paid ad in November's Railfan and Railroad mag. Do any of you knowledgable guys know anything about the railroad? Warren County, NY, 40 miles of rail between North Creek station and Corinth. They are looking for an excursion train. Anyone know the condition of the rails, ties, ballast, etc.?

fitzrr@pioneer.net

Post subject: Re: Picture Your Train Here
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:52 pm 

>...know anything about the railroad? Warren County,
> NY, 40 miles of rail between North Creek
> station and Corinth. They are looking for an
> excursion train. Anyone know the condition
> of the rails, ties, ballast, etc.?

Found a link (see below) to a press release from June, 2001. Perhaps someone can provide more recent information.

Cheers,
Keith Albrandt

http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/year01/june24_01.htm
kalbran1@san.rr.com

Post subject: Re: Picture Your Train Here
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:25 pm 

They are looking for an
> excursion train. Anyone know the condition
> of the rails, ties, ballast, etc.?

Anybody know the condition of the market for passengers?

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

Post subject: Adirondack Branch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:29 pm 

This is former Delaware & Hudson. The track still runs from Saratoga to Tahawus, where a closed ilmenite mine is located. The line as far as North Creek was built by the Durants of UP fame. The North Creek station (where Teddy Roosevelt found out he had become president) has been restored and the line is operated down to Riverside (Riparius) by the Upper Hudson River RR, which has a passenger operation. From Saratoga to Corinth is still D&H, serving a paper mill at Corinth (which may close soon). From Corinth to North Creek is owned by Warren County. From North Creek to Tahawus is owned by the National Lead Co.. Tha latter part was built by the U.S. Government in WWII to reach the mine. The line has received some state/federal money for upgrades, with the idea that ski and tourist trains would again operate out of Saratoga. Saratoga's 1950s modern station will undergo a major facelift also. I haven't seen this ad myself, but this is the line to which they refer. It used wide firebox 4-4-0s right up to the end of steam and the one-stall enginehouse and turntable remain at North Creek.

Upper Hudson River RR
ryarger@rypn.org