It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much for a cab ride?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:31 am 

$2.50 meter drop and $3 per mile... Oh, wait, wrong kind of cab!

Does your operation offer cab rides? If so, how much are they?

I found this on a certain tourist railroad's website:
Quote:
First, when you are “Engineer for a Day,” you have the chance to ride in the cab of the locomotive with the engineer. For $225 per person for a steam excursion or $150 for the diesel, you’ll feel what it’s like to ride the rails with a powerful engine surrounding you.

I think they're breaking convention on the "Engineer for a Day" nomeclature. Usually that means you get to actually run the engine. Their website makes it clear that is not the case here, since this option is available on all regularly scheduled trains.

That said, it got me to wondering about curent rates for cab rides, and I'm wondering what other operations charge.

Post subject: Re: How much for a cab ride?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:58 am 

I know that New Hope & Ivyland has cab rides for $40 for their 50-minute rides.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:17 am 

Price unknown: Steamtown, Scranton Limited. Reading & Northern, 425, Port Clinton to Jim Thorpe.

I've had varying degrees of success on cab rides at different heritage lines that don't offer cab rides.

Joshua

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:43 am 

If I recall, Steamtown charged $35 for the cab ride on the Scranton Limited. I've taken it twice, once in each of the Canadians. I will unhesitatingly say it was money well spent. A wonderful experience, and friendly crews, to boot!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 am 

I paid $300 for a morning on the foot plate of BLACK PRINCE at Llangollen Railway in 1999. The price included one round trip sharing driving and firing duties (about two hours total), and a hearty lunch. See photo to the left.

Current information: http://www.llangollen-railway.co.uk/page.php?id=14

Wesley

Last edited by wesp on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:53 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
There was one operation--won't say where to protect the possibly guilty--that used to run with one man running the steamer and occasionally chucking fuel in the firebox, who would offer rides and a "chance to fire" to any likely-looking ticket-holders, for free (translation: for company and a chance to share the work load). One per trip, invitation-only, and an unforgettable experience if/when that happened.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:35 pm 

Hi All

Yes I had my share of cab rides, either by invitation , or free over the years , at the old Steamtown . I knew Andy Barbara quite well , through one of our club members from Waushakum Live Steamers .
The price of the cab ride , was the price of admission at the old Steamtown , and by invitation only . Also the old Edaville , just had to ask , or by invitation .
The Wolfborough Railroad , one of our club members worked during the summer as fireman , on the Wolfbough # 250 , always got into the cab .
My last most recent cab ride , was on the Conway Scenic # 7470 , about 5 years ago .
Attachment:
Conway , NH.jpg # 2.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 pm 

We don't charge for cab rides on No. 17, at the New Hope Valley; if you want to run the engine (or fire, but we get very few who request that), it's $250 for the 8-mile round trip (which takes about an hour). If you want to come early and help with the steam-up, that's on the house! =)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:36 pm 

Yes, we sell cab rides year round at the NH&I for $ 40 for the 50 minute roundtrip.

Limit of 1 per trip and minimum age of 18 ( thanks lawyers) and sell quite a few hundred over the course of a year. I like it especially as it has proven to be a good way to make new friends and at Christmas time to meet a lot of Rypners in person.

We do not do the guest engineer/fireman sale.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:51 pm 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
We don't charge for cab rides on No. 17, at the New Hope Valley; if you want to run the engine (or fire, but we get very few who request that), it's $250 for the 8-mile round trip (which takes about an hour). If you want to come early and help with the steam-up, that's on the house! =)

Before you all rush down, I'd add that 17 is a saddle tanker with barely enough room for riders at all, provided you have no objection to burning your knees on the backhead or firedoor. Please do visit early, help with the morning chores, and take a ride anyhow - wear your asbestos longjohns.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:33 pm 

At Mid-Continent in North Freedom, WI we charge $55 for our approx. 55 minute trip for the cab ride. We also run with a caboose which is a $2 fare above the normal $20 ticket price.

mld

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:24 pm 

At the Sumpter Valley Railroad in northeast Oregon we charge $35 for an adult or general cab pass and $20 for a junior cab pass. This is a one-way in the cab and return on the passenger train, or vice-versa. The cab pass also includes a one year membership in the organization. Having a cab ride right off the bat has proven to be a good way to galvanize visitors into coming back or volunteering.

http://www.sumptervalleyrailroad.org/ta ... -ride.html

Thanks, Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 pm 

I believe the cost at SMRS is $25 for a round trip in the cab of Western Maryland #75 from Clinton to Tecumseh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:28 pm 

mldeets wrote:
At Mid-Continent in North Freedom, WI we charge $55 for our approx. 55 minute trip for the cab ride. We also run with a caboose which is a $2 fare above the normal $20 ticket price.

mld

Only $2 more for the caboose! Great bargain. Kind of like the EBT did in previous years when the "Up" charge for riding in business car Obisonia was a ridiculously cheap $1 more than regular coach for a normal trip. I jumped right on that one.

OT, I know, but I think I know what the tail car for the 765 trips should be - a glass-walled "theater" car! I've been conductor on the one for CSX's geometry train. It's a neat experience that the average fan should be able to partake of at least once. I believe there is at least one in private hands now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm 

Plenty of free cab ride in 80s China & 90s South America. Now, NH&I is a 15 minute drive from my house. Considering what their regular fare is, the $40 for a cab ride is a bargain & well worth it.