It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: abandoned trolley graveyard redux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 am 

http://www.losttracksoftime.com/p47324941

Saturday was my second visit to the abandoned trolley graveyard in Pennsylvania, the photos from the trip are linked above.
I found it interesting to meander the scenes while still in winter hibernation, much different from my first trip there last July.

On one hand I feel sadness for the former streetcar equipment being taken over by Mother Nature and vandals/graffiti; on the other I sense intrigue, fascination, and beauty. Your thought?

All photos taken on private property with the direct consent of the land owner.

Enjoy,
Matthew

Post subject: Re: abandoned trolley graveyard redux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am 

Agreed, there is a sadness in the loss of what we might call "spirited" vehicles. On the other hand, those preserved do so at the expense of those lost. You have an artisitc eye, and that is a form of preservation, although, eventually, these cars will be lost into the earth.
In my opinion, there are a lot of collectible artifacts in these cars, which would make good art-deco furnishings for a home, museum, waiting room, or sale table at a train show. Seems like a an opportunity to have skilled people come in, collect, clean, and make available to the public. Just my opinion, but I am always looking for ways to fund rail preservation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm 

I guess my reaction to this situation is more practical. There are still some good parts in these derelict bodies that could be useful to museums that run PCC cars. I'm thinking trolley bases & poles, retrievers, interior lighting fixtures, headlights, control "button bar," the fuse panel, traction motors, fan/blower motors, etc. They don't make these any more and if a fan motor blows, it's nice to have a spare in stock to replace the bad one.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm 

Is that Johnstown #362 inside the building?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:31 pm 

What is the back story on this?? Who is the owner? his plans? Is he rebuilding the one in the shop??

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 pm 

Loco Bill wrote:
What is the back story on this?? Who is the owner? his plans? Is he rebuilding the one in the shop??

Thanks

This link might clear it up for you and yes Steaminfo this is all public information, there is no harm done.

http://www.manta.com/c/mm01lkp/lrv-consulting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 pm 

I’m not sure the owner of this fleet would agree either that these cars are abandoned or that this is a graveyard. Ed Metka and his Vintage Electric Streetcar Company acquired these cars as an investment with the notion that there would be a need for them by newly established urban heritage trolley operations. However, SFAIK, the only equipment he’s been able to sell were some trucks from ex-Shaker Heights PCC cars, sold for use under newly constructed replica cars for some middle eastern entertainment complex. It would be presumptuous to think that Mr. Metka would allow anybody to strip these cars for parts without some monetary consideration.

http://www.bera.org/cgi-bin/pnaerc-quer ... %20Company

/s/ Larry
Lawrence G. Lovejoy, P.E.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:44 am 

That is Johnstown Traction Co. 362 stored indoors. It is owned by historic preservation interests in Johnstown. The intention is to make it into a permanent display in the town where it formerly operated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 am 

There are also several "steam" railroad items there as well. One of them is Lehigh & New England business car #100.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:36 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This is one of many cases where one person's "storage yard" is most other neutral observers' "abandoned junkyard/graveyard." And for far too many of us, the back tracks/lots of our own museums/railroads are the "glass houses" that prevent us from "throwing stones." Even the "almighty" Strasburg Rail Road is not innocent of this syndrome--anyone else looked at #4/1187 lately? The far-too-popular Facebook page dedicated to "abandoned rails" shows ostensibly-"preserved" railroad equipment on a near-daily basis, and that's a horrendous (and quite public) reflection on our avocation.

The grim reality is that if you don't want to be seen as a "junkyard," stop ACTING like one and tidy up your property, or at least show signs of activity, clean up the graffiti and prosecute trespassers, occasionally scrap a "lost cause," etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:35 pm 

We have not heard about this for a while:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trolley-cars ... 57950.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 am 

I saw that yahoo had recycled the article again. The comments provide an important window to what the public at large thinks about preservation. Most posters seem to be divided on either recycling the cars or moving them to a museum. One post in particular stuck out, as the person demanded the cars be put under cover immediately - no mention of where this money should come from, who would help to make this happen, etc. Just one more example of how the public doesn't understand that the suffering doesn't necessarily end once a piece makes it to a museum. Most of us are guilty of this in our own way, continually looking for the next lost loco or even some going to far as to build a copy from scratch, while many restoration candidates sit rotting to death at "museums."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:50 am 

Interesting article, even though the original post no longer shows the trolleys, but the last link does. So where are these cars located?

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:47 pm 

They are in PA on private property.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:29 pm 

It's called Vintage Electric Streetcar Co. and is located at Windber, PA. Easily spotted on Google Earth in the NE part of town.