It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellowstone Trail?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

At the Minnesota Transportation Museum we have a wood car that is in the process of being deaccessed, one source has identified the car as Yellowstone Trail.

In searching my sources I am unable to find this name, I find a few Pullman xyz Trail cars but no Yellowstone Trail.

There is not much left of the car, but we would like to at least preserve the record.

-Hudson

Post subject: Re: Yellowstone Trail?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:05 am 

Checking Barger's "A Century of Pullman Cars" volumes, there are 3 wood cars listed with the name Yellowstone, but no cars with the name Yellowstone Trail. Here are the 3 cars with the name Yellowstone:

1. A Plan #93B 12 section-drawing room (12S-1DR) sleeper built at Pullman's Detroit Shops in Lot #D142 in April 1882 for the UP Association, withdrawn from the UP Assoc. in April 1898, and dismantled in August 1905.

2. A Plan #689 private (business) car built by Harlan & Hollingsworth in July 1878 as the Woodruff Sleeping & Parlor Coach Co. parlor-sleeper #41 Mary C., rebuilt by Jackson & Sharp in 1887 as private car #41 Yellowstone, acquired by Pullman in 1889, renamed Tiosa at an unknown date, renamed Edgewood at an unknown date, and sold in August 1895 to S.R. Gupper of Milwaukee.

3. A Plan #1963C 12S-1DR sleeper built in Lot #3448 in January 1907 and assigned to Cleveland-St. Augustine service. It was destroyed by Pullman in July 1935.

This means that of these 3, the only potential car for the one now being deaccessioned is the private car sold in 1895. Perhaps after being sold a variation of the car's former name Yellowstone was applied, i.e., Yellowstone Trail. Or perhaps sometime in the distant past the name was mis-transcribed from one source to the next, i.e., Trail was added to car's former name. Or the car now being deaccessioned is a different car altogether.

Sources:

1. "A Century of Pullman Cars Volume One: Alphabetical List" by Ralph L. Barger (Greenburg Publishing, 1988)

2. "A Century of Pullman Cars Volume Two: The Palace Cars" by Ralph L. Barger (Greenburg Publishing, 1990)

Post subject: Re: Yellowstone Trail?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thanks, that is about what I found.

I also found a couple of Northern Pacific Ry. Business cars named Yellowstone.

-Hudson