It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mis-Labeled ALCO for sale
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:13 pm 

Converted friction bearing trucks have been outlawed for interchange since about 92 or 93. Now that was for cars but it would be the same, the thinking was you cant properly inspect the bearings because they are obscured by the journal boxes. Bet it would be a nice loco for somebody but getting it out of there may be problematic

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 am 

The 'last straw' for Hyatt roller bearings in 'interchangeable service' came in large part because those require an intact journal-box cover.

However, a number of 'roller bearing conversions' are quite legal; as I recall 765's tender is so equipped, with the simple expedient of leaving the journal box covers off when equipment needs to 'read' the cap temperature or detect rotation. (It is easy to arrange covers, original or 'simulated', that go right back on for photo freights or whatever.)

One of the technical discussions regarding the T1 Trust 5550 involves how the truck roller bearings will be handled (all of which are outside-bearing and nominally have bolted covers). The consensus at the time of the initial feasibility plan was that some form of AP bearing was feasible for all axles if needed, with the covers being optionally removed when required.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:19 pm 

I think those old Alco/GE rebuilt switching units were fairly common around coal mine load outs. When the ELKR bought their two ex-N&W GP-9's (ex- 872, 885) from the mine west of Beckley, there was such a unit at the load out where they were located. At the time CSX was in the process of abandoning the Coal River branch to the load out so the GP-9's had to be moved. We didn't move the old Alco, so I don't know what happened to it. I did get a close look at it. It was pretty neat, the operator stood on the right bottom front step and had a little control panel which he ran the unit from. There was a "Rebuilt by GE" plate on it. There was one at the Cornelia mine west of Summersville, WV too.
After reading the CSX petition, I'm surprised anything gets done in the good ol' USA any more with our layers of bureaucracy.
Ned

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:45 am 

I moved an Alco S6 from Syracuse to Westernport, Maryland on a set of dummy trucks rebuilt from friction bearing trucks from an S4. There was no issue with the interchange.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:09 pm 

The price of the Alco on the Sterling Rail website has dropped to "Make an Offer." Additionally, the STB has approved the abandonment of the 13.65-mile Fremont Branch on which this locomotive may be found at the very end, in this remote corner of southwest Virginia.