It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CSX Preserved Engines List
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:08 pm 

Perhaps one can find a class 2 or 3 freight railroad willing to buy the locomotive from LTEX and secure a license to put the Chessie System Paint, Logo, and Name on the 8595 whilst keeping it in service. The option for donation would theoretically still be open after the use of the locomotive on the new railroad.

Last edited by cood101 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:07 am 

How about build a relationship with a supporter with an interest in preservation who does business with CSX and can broach the subject with paperwork from the past in hand directly, professionally and pleasantly directly to executives high enough in management to be in a position to do some good? I'm almost certain the B&O Museum has built many such relationships over time. It's their process to pursue as they see fit, and any hint from any disinterested party here or elsewhere about any threatening posture can only do harm.

Unlike our current government, let the adults handle it in a grown up and effective manner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A "Memorandum of Understanding"--provided that's even what is/was involved between CSX and the B&O Railroad Museum or whoever--is not the same as a contract. Look it up yourself.

Does ANYONE have any evidence of ANY form of formal contract between CSX and any railroad museum with regards to such donations, aside from, say, the recent shop transferred to the Kentucky Steam group or the "surprise" recent donations of diesels in the past few months?

The paperwork I laid eyes upon ages ago amounted to nothing more than a "wish list," with a few of them "pie in the sky" dreams--shop complexes, turntables, roundhouses, etc. Now, nobody expected to transplant, say, an entire roundhouse or shop building; they just wanted dibs on things that might be inside, like steam-era lathes or the like.

Lastly, IF there has been a "falling out" or "amnesia" between the B&O Museum management and CSX, the Museum possibly bears half the blame--for not repeatedly, regularly following up with appropriate parties at CSX on the matter. IF that is the case, and not a new round of CSX management deliberately blowing them off, there needs to be some introspection at the B&O Museum.

OR, for all we know, the recent scrappings of some equipment out on the "First Mile" could indicate that they'd already bitten off more than they can chew, they are cognizant of that fact, and have decided to focus on what's already on hand. (The original paperwork I saw indicated shipping to Baltimore if possible, not to be redirected to another recipient of the Museum's choosing. And one it gets there, it ain't coming back out except on a flatcar these days.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV thanks for clearing up my confusion.
If it's truly just a wish list/ "Memorandum of Understanding", so be it.

It just goes to show you can't believe everything on the internet, even stuff repeated ad infinitum the past 20 years. "Do Not Dismantle" stickers, "Lists", nothing is sure until it happens.

As a younger fool to the wiser elders, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
OR, for all we know, the recent scrappings of some equipment out on the "First Mile" could indicate that they'd already bitten off more than they can chew...

Not to derail this thread, but this is the first I have heard of this. What was scrapped?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:35 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
NS 3322 wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
OR, for all we know, the recent scrappings of some equipment out on the "First Mile" could indicate that they'd already bitten off more than they can chew...

Not to derail this thread, but this is the first I have heard of this. What was scrapped?

This was several years ago, like over a decade or so; the B&O Museum supposedly circulated a list of "surplus" rolling stock, and after finding no takers save for the E8 which went over to West Va., scrapped much of it. Stuff ranged from coal hoppers converted to tunnel ice breakers to reefers and box cars, plus (I think) a tank car.

I will note that some items that the B&O Museum DID "rescue" under the "wish list" have found new homes--the RPO/combine that was pulled out of Laurel, Md. to the B&O Museum was later sent to Sykesville, Md. to house a model railroad club, as one example.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm 

I've been informed about more information and circumstances regarding the 8595. I'll apologize for the lawsuit comments as those are now obviously unfounded. I'll see if any official word is put out about it.

I will say it is 100% true, however, that the 8595 is an official LTEX locomotive as of this writing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:03 am 

As luck would have it, I saw 8595 going north today with several other SD50s dead in tow on their way to Larry's Truck and Electric.

So if anybody is still interested in preserving this unit, my guess is they'll have to buy it from LTEX.

If the B&O museum or some other place would like to see the likes of GM50, and others preserved, plans need to be made yesterday, or else expect to see other engines suddenly vanish.

I don't know anyone at the B&O museum or Larry's, but I'd hate to see the 8595 end up being lost, fandom for 2nd gen EMDs aside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 pm 

It is not too late for 8595.

A drone rail-fan spotted it in the lines of engines at larry's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mI0d0yIt_c&t=618s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm 

Couldn't pick out 8595. Incredible number of units there. Did you catch the unmodified Amtrak F40PH by the building? Aren't too many of them left.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:40 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Couldn't pick out 8595.

At the 10:19 mark, up at the top center pointed left, next to the telephone pole.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:11 pm 

Thanks. I was looking for it in the middle of everything. Looks like just about every SD50 that was left on the roster went to Larry's. Hard to believe, but it was over 36 years ago when they started taking delivery of them. For a unit considered a "failure" they lasted a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:16 pm 

A lot of interesting things.

Not all the engines there are Larry's, GECX Wabtec has contracted with Larrys to handle some of it's second hand fleet.

Here are a few other things I spotted.

TP&W 4056 GP40X and the absolute LAST unit on the HT-B trucks. All others have been scrapped or rebuilt without those trucks.
Ex Metro north FL9 2012 in NYC paint (elsewhere on property in another video)
CSX 8503 the first unit ever painted in YN3
CSX 6899 one of the rounded cab proto GP60s
A few N&W GP38ACs hiding in with all the Southern GP38-2 high hoods.
OHCR 6642 an SD18M rebuilt from an SD24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:32 pm 

alcochaser wrote:
A lot of interesting things.

Not all the engines there are Larry's, GECX Wabtec has contracted with Larrys to handle some of it's second hand fleet.

Here are a few other things I spotted.

TP&W 4056 GP40X and the absolute LAST unit on the HT-B trucks. All others have been scrapped or rebuilt without those trucks.

Ex-SP 7200. Interesting, Santa Fe had GP40x units with the HT-B trucks also, always wondered why they didn't sell. Also note the L-shaped engineer's window, which also didn't sell. I have the instruction manual for the GP40x units given to Santa Fe crews, they were the first I believe to use radar for the wheel-slip control. Here it is a few years old.

alcochaser wrote:
CSX 6899 one of the rounded cab proto GP60s

Ex-EMD 7. I wish I could find the photo of this unit from when it pulled an eastbound Santa Fe roadrailer train through my hometown of Toluca IL within a month of the below photo. It was operated by a two-person crew including an RFE in an action that caused a strike on the Santa Fe. In the pre-internet age I had no idea it was coming, I was a college student then but had the day off and was just watching trains in my hometown as I did most days when I was home, but that day two photographers showed up, which happened from time to time. I walked up to say hello to one and he turned and looked the other way without so much as a hi or an FU. We knew how to deal with rude, arrogant out-of-towners back then, so I figured out where the guy was shooting toward (the eastbound signal bridge for the interlocking) and made sure to foul the photo, he and another guy trespassing on top of our abandoned mine-tailings pile had to move out of town near our stinky sewage plant to take the photo. Imagine my annoyance a month or so later when the sewage plant photo showed up in a railroad-oriented magazine, credited to two staffers from said magazine, which I had subscribed to for six years at that point.

Attachments:
sp 7200.JPG
sp 7200.JPG [ 210.42 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]
EMD_7_East_GlenFrazer.jpg
EMD_7_East_GlenFrazer.jpg [ 340.56 KiB | Viewed 4078 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:31 pm 

A few recent videos showing the recently restored B&O 51, also showed a CSX GP15 on the B&O museum site. Is this a recent aquisition?

Len.