It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brookville Speeder Bus???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:53 am 

Hello. Our NRHS chapter, Beaver Valley Junction has taken possesion of a Brookville product which we are calling a speeder bus. This product by Brookville was one of several hundred made in the 30's and early 40's and all were mostly exported. This unit is a xArmy unit that has been at a surplus dealer for 30 years and was scheduled to go to scrap as the company is now out of business. It is standard gauge and modifications were made inside to also carry parts perhaps between warehouses where ever it was used. It is powered by a Hercules engine and is chain driven. We have gleaned some information from Brookville, but we wanted to know if there is another museum sight or someone who has one of these units. Restoration of this piece is in the future. Our main goal is to eventually restore to running operation but for now to save from scrap and get undercover to prevent further damage from the elements. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
George Alberti
President
BVJ-NRHS

galberti990@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: Brookville Speeder Bus???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:13 pm 

I would love to see pictures of it. Are there any on the web?
M.Nix

2rivers@upstel.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:53 pm 

Mike,

I will help George out here with a few pics. Although I was not there to help with the move, I did stop by to see what this thing looked like and to snap a few pics. This photo is a rear end shot when the critter first arrived for storae: http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/Im000590.jpg The front end has a small cow catcher type pilot attached. I couldn't get a good pic while it was on the trailer. Here is a pic of the Builder Plate. Serial Number I believe read 5324: http://www.angelfire.com/film/prrpics/Im000591.jpg We should be able to track down records thru Brookville (still in operation making mining equip). .............Gary

mittner@webtv.net

Post subject: Re: Brookville Speeder Bus??? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:04 pm 

And we now have a new contender for "Worst Basket Case Adopted As A Restoration Project".........

lner4472@bcpl.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:29 pm 

> And we now have a new contender for
> "Worst Basket Case Adopted As A
> Restoration Project".........

Well, Sandy, a little bondo and duct tape and my guys could have it looking like a hundred bucks..........

Seriously, there seems to be a decent frame and wheels - not sure what of the mechanical systems remain. The sheet metal isn't as intimidating as it appears. If it was in fact roller chain drive I could drop a hydraulic power train into it fast and easy (relatively speaking).

Dave

irondave@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:02 pm 

Dave,

You are correct. After a quick look it does appear the chassis and such are in decent restorable condition. I heard that this type vehicle/parts were listed in Brookville's catloge of products. If this is the case, maybe it will be a pretty easy going restoration. The side sheeting makes the whole thing look bad but it really isn't. And yes it is a chain driven speeder bus. Couldn't you just see this show up at one of your local speeder car trips in the future!.....Gary

mittner@webtv.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:22 pm 

> And we now have a new contender for
> "Worst Basket Case Adopted As A
> Restoration Project".........

Wait: small enough to be manageable by a fairly small crew of volunteers, no pesky firebox moths or in service days to worry about, easily portable to get to places it could be run

What's left? a gas motor? there's LOTS of mechanics around for those...sheetmetal? Glass? Same thing....Heck, I'll bet a High School auto shop class could bring that little beastie back from the dead in less than one semester.